Page 1 of 3
Weeeelll.
I was kind of bored and listened to some eminem.
Eminem´s songs are normally kept really simple.
Drums-Vox-Bass.
I was kind of drunk.
I jammed to it in a blues scale.
The improv just came to me.
It´s hard to explain, it was some kind of blues staccato shuffle thingy.

The question is:
Why is the guitar not popular in the Rapping/Hip-hop community?
It goes so well with it.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Last edited by Dawnwalker at Jan 10, 2010,
Lil Wayne

Though I hate him he does use guitar quite often (in a shitty way)

EDIT: WAAAAY more acts use it, cba to write em all down so here's a couple of em:

Afroman
Twiztid
Atmosphere
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
because you need skill and the ability to remember things longer than 5 minutes in order to play guitar
This is not a signature
thats reli true man. lol wayn has some reli cool licks in his songs no joke. he also plays guitar and his fav band is nirvana.
yeh rap is cool to improv to coz of the solid beat.
its just that rappers are ******s, so they dont feature theguitar more.
Why is the guitar not popular in the Rapping/Hip-hop community.

Rap began as the music of kids in New York city who were very poor. They couldn’t afford instruments, didn’t get music lessons, and their school systems didn’t have much in the way of music programs. So they just rapped over their records. Using samples and loops is fundamental to rap because of these low-income roots.
Rage Against The Machine. Pretty much all of their songs.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Because rap and hip-hop are very different than other musical genres. It's based on vocals and the music rides in the back seat. You also have to remember who's making the music. Producers make the music, not musicians.
I think it's not popular in today's rap music because for some of the rap fans, rock sucks, and guitar is rock, so...

Plus guitar doesn't always fit big beats and up tempo "BOOOOTTYYYY BOOOTTYY ASS BOOTY BOOTY ASS" songs.
Quote by jpnyc
Rap began as the music of kids in New York city who were very poor. They couldn’t afford instruments, didn’t get music lessons, and their school systems didn’t have much in the way of music programs. So they just rapped over their records. Using samples and loops is fundamental to rap because of these low-income roots.

This.

Much random ignorance has been spewed in this thread, but this hits the answer right on the head.

Although, enough hiphop has made use of guitars since it's birth that it's not really that groundbreaking to use guitars (sampled or 'live') in rap.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewRjZoRtu0Y It samples the intro to Straight To Hell. Not the best example, but guitar is used plenty. Also, plenty of Gil Scott-Heron has guitar in.

By the same token though, why aren't found sounds, samples, synths, drum machines, spoken word pieces and the like used in guitar music more?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by gangsta_rick
can anybody give me any tips on playing guitar on a rap/hip hop track?

DO NOT play lead, unless there's a nice break that you could solo in. I've found that lead guitar in rap tends to be overwhelming and takes away from the vocals, which ultimately are what rap is all about.
Play rhythm, try to repeat some cool riffs as you would if you were a producer 'looping' the guitar.
Listen to some rap music with guitar. Flobots, Rage Against the Machine (I don't really consider them rap rock/metal but whatever), The Social Street Sweeper Club, that one Buckethead track up there, El Guante and the Big Cats, etc etc.
You ultimately want to keep the feel of the rap. Listen to the rhymes, read the words, and try to understand the lyrics as best you can. Once you understand what the lyrics are about, try to relate them as much as you can to yourself, and try to catch the emotion involved in the rap. Once you've got that, try to create a guitar track that would complement that mood.
That's why I think Buckethead's cover of ODB's 'Shimmy Shimmy Ya' (Called I Like It Raw in the video) is so incredible, because it's captures all the aggressiveness that Ol' Dirty is famous for.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
thanks, specially you baby joel that was really helpful, what it is is a couple of my mates rap and asked me if id do some guitar parts, he made me a cd with beats and stuff on but i cant figure out what to do
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Quote by Dawnwalker
Weeeelll.
I was kind of bored and listened to some eminem.
Eminem´s songs are normally kept really simple.
Drums-Vox-Bass.
I was kind of drunk.
I jammed to it in a blues scale.
The improv just came to me.
It´s hard to explain, it was some kind of blues staccato shuffle thingy.

The question is:
Why is the guitar not popular in the Rapping/Hip-hop community?
It goes so well with it.

It's used a hell of a lot, you just don't realise it:

Acoustic Strumming
Distortion
MIDI controller
The typical Rasta tones that rappers just love (lol)
And various other effects
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Rage Against the machine

also

Flipsyde or Flipside ..dunno how they write it. they're awesome
"When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it."
-Dimebag Darrell
Mos Def w/ The Black Keys

Look at other Blakroc stuff aswell.

Some more Mos Def, in fact that whole album has got guitar stuff on it

There is lots of rap-rock out there to be honest. I seem to remember a Snoop Dogg/RATM song tagged on to the end of one of his albums as well.
There's a 99 Problems and Voodoo Child mashup that I think is the best combination of Guitar and hip-hop. It's real guitar and real hip-hop, none of that watered down stuff where they tone it down to match each other. Just 2 people doing what they love without reservations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqpXmwSUmGg
^That is NOT rap, and definitely not hip-hop.
it's all coming back

yeah that isnt anywhere close, i think he wants all original stuff but ill see if i can take some ideas

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Quote by gangsta_rick
thanks, specially you baby joel that was really helpful, what it is is a couple of my mates rap and asked me if id do some guitar parts, he made me a cd with beats and stuff on but i cant figure out what to do

It's already got loops and stuff right? So you'll be able to figure out what key the song is in? If you can figure that out, you should really have no problem.
An easy thing to do would just be to play power chords, no need to be playing add6 chords.
Just mess around with chords and stuff. I'm sure you'll get it in no time.

Good luck!
it's all coming back

Quote by flaphead325
I think it's not popular in today's rap music because for some of the rap fans, rock sucks, and guitar is rock, so...

Plus guitar doesn't always fit big beats and up tempo "BOOOOTTYYYY BOOOTTYY ASS BOOTY BOOTY ASS" songs.

The same can be said for some rock fans, look at the kids in there br00tulz slipknot shirt, parachute pants, and mascara where they think all rap is about dancing. And hell glam metal sounds like Booty Booty Ass Ass just with guitars and shitty drums.

There is always 2 sides to a story...

Anyway TS, look at some Rage Against The Machine and Street Sweeper Social Club.
Last edited by darkcheef at Mar 1, 2010,
Quote by Baby Joel
It's already got loops and stuff right? So you'll be able to figure out what key the song is in? If you can figure that out, you should really have no problem.
An easy thing to do would just be to play power chords, no need to be playing add6 chords.
Just mess around with chords and stuff. I'm sure you'll get it in no time.

Good luck!

its just basically drums and a little bit of bass really, on one of the track was something that sounds like a digital wah keyboard or something so i tried to replicate it on the guitar but added distortion, i think it sounded ok, ive not been doing improve for long so im still getting to grips with it, and i only know the A pentatonic lol

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Quote by darkcheef
The same can be said for some rock fans, look at the kids in there br00tulz slipknot shirt, parachute pants, and mascara where they think all rap is about dancing. And hell glam metal sounds like Booty Booty Ass Ass just with guitars and shitty drums.

There is always 2 sides to a story...

Anyway TS, look at some Rage Against The Machine and Street Sweeper Social Club.

Sorry, thats only nu-metal, IMO. And its mainly garbage anyway. (Deftones and SoaD are good) Just didn't want you tpo get those genres mixed up :P
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26sLIC-G5DQ&feature=related When I think a mix of guitar and hip hop, I think remixes like this. It's freaking awesome, imo. Loving Tupac's rhymes and Metallica's guitar.
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Lefty
-Epiphone Les Paul Special II Lefty, name's Sonny =)
-Danelectro CM-1 Metal Pedal
-Danelectro CC-1 Chorus Pedal

I've been playing since Summer '09
Guitars are common in hip hop. They just aren't always the center of attention. And when they are, it's cheesy.
@BluSouthPaw i agree i love it
@ibrahimasood dude i love this, i didnt think it was kirk hammet though but then i heard the wah pedal lol
@werty22 like kevin rudolf haha,

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Tech N9ne is really the only rapper still making music (I prefer older rap) who I'll listen to. And he uses some Heavy Metal sounding riffs in some songs. "Riot Maker" comes to mind, really good song too.

And he grew up in and sings about my hometown (Kansas City) so he scores extra win points.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Mar 1, 2010,
If you listen closely guitar features in almost all of Eminem's songs from 1999 - 2003.

Also
Fabolous - Can't Let You Go
50 Cent - When It Rains It Pours
Jay-Z - Death of Autotune
Lloyd Banks - Smile
Tony Yayo - Live By The Gun
Eminem - I Remember
P Diddy - Bad Boy 4 Life
Eminem - Marshall Mathers (a brilliant song may I add)
Asher Roth - I Love College
Jay-Z - 99 Problems
Jay-Z feat. Beyonce - 03 Bonnie and Clyde

I don't even like rap but I've stumbled across these good riffs...I agree hip hop and guitar do mix very well
Last edited by KentoMC at Mar 1, 2010,
Quote by VanTheKraut
Tech N9ne is really the only rapper still making music (I prefer older rap) who I'll listen to. And he uses some Heavy Metal sounding riffs in some songs. "Riot Maker" comes to mind, really good song too.

And he grew up in and sings about my hometown (Kansas City) so he scores extra win points.

i agree older rap is sooo much better

Paul Kossoff = Genius
ive definatly got plenty to look at tomorrow, i really want to get it right so i can impress them

Paul Kossoff = Genius
just out of curiosity does anybody know a cheap way of recording just so i could do a few bits to show him

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Page 1 of 3