If I hook up my Vox head to my Fender head like this:

Guitar/pedals > Vox head > Fender head > cab

would it work? I want to so I can use the Vox head as a preamp for the effects and the Fender head as a power amp. I tried it and it sounds amazing, but I don't want to be damaging the tubes or transformers in any way.

Advice?
I suppose you could so that but it would require a fairly complex set up with the effects loops and an attenuator/dummy load.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I suppose you could so that but it would require a fairly complex set up with the effects loops and an attenuator/dummy load.

Elaborate?
U have a valvetronix so it has a solid state power amp which can run without a load so u should be ok
ok, first you you would run the vox's speaker out into an a dummy load, then you would run the FX out of the vox intothe FX in of the finder, if one or both amps don't have loops then it could be fairly problematic.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
ok, first you you would run the vox's speaker out into an a dummy load, then you would run the FX out of the vox intothe FX in of the finder, if one or both amps don't have loops then it could be fairly problematic.

The Fender head is a 1968 Bassman

yeah, it doesn't have an FX loop
Quote by foob85
The Fender head is a 1968 Bassman

yeah, it doesn't have an FX loop

I guess you could run it into the instrument in, although that can make it hard to manage the gain.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I guess you could run it into the instrument in, although that can make it hard to manage the gain.

So run the FX loop out on the Vox into the instrument input on the Fender?
^yes
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
im a bad influence but ive chained many heads for 3 years, and the first head in the chain hasnt used any attenuator/dummy load. it has worked fine no problems and really sounds awesome. there tube amps as wel. but dont listen to me, i dont care if my stuff breaks, cause it never has so im not worried, but maybe when it does ill change my attitude towards running amps without cabs.
This thread is a disaster waiting to happen. If the Fender doesn't have an Effects Out, you can't use it as a power amp. Please leave it at that. Please don't break your 40-year-old amp.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by no.mop
This thread is a disaster waiting to happen. If the Fender doesn't have an Effects Out, you can't use it as a power amp. Please leave it at that. Please don't break your 40-year-old amp.

So running the effects out on the Vox into the instrument input on the Fender, then the Fender to the cab wouldn't work? I tried it and it sounds amazing, but obviously I can't hear the transformer being raped. I don't see how this would affect it though.
Quote by no.mop

+1
Quote by foob85
So running the effects out on the Vox into the instrument input on the Fender, then the Fender to the cab wouldn't work? I tried it and it sounds amazing, but obviously I can't hear the transformer being raped. I don't see how this would affect it though.

You're running through two preamps if you plug into the instrument input. That can't be good for your amp.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera