I've been recently trying my hand at song writing. I play rhythm guitar and sing for my band, and myself and the lead guitarist would be the primary song writers. I don't really trust my bassist with writing bass lines as he's even a bigger novice than myself. So i've been wondering, when it comes to writing a bass line to go along with a riff, which is better? A bass line that follows more along with the drum beat or the guitars? I've heard that along with the drums it stands out more... but I dunno.
"I don't even dare and ask your age... all that matters is that you're backstage. You're jailbait! And I just can't wait!" Motorhead, Jailbait.
Both, either and neither all have their place. It depends on the effect you are going for and the style of music you are playing.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Mix it up. I personally love parts in a song that has a really simple beat, like in the verse, with the bass following it. Try doing that, and then for the chorus he could go along with you guys. Hell, give him a solo or a fill to do.
Gear:
Palmer 4-String Electric
Palmer 4-String Acoustic
Orange Terror Bass 500 head
Orange OBC115 cab
M-Audio KeyRig 49
well, im new to bass myself but reading up on various articles its a mix of both. But usually the bass is the bridge between drums. If you listen to most of those classic bass line songs its the mix of a entwined bass and drum that gets you moshing, Audioslave and RATM are prime examples with songs like Gasoline and Born of a Broken Man and Bulls on Parade. Just dont give him something poor and pathetic to play, hate those songs where its like a key change and thats it.
Last edited by xTKsaucex at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Gross generalisations simply don't work for something so subjective. It works on a song-by-song basis and personal preference.

This and it depends on the genre as well. If the Ska bass player played with the guitar, you'd lose the whole feel of the ska song--same with most funk and R & B. But other genres, such as some metal, it sounds better to echo the guitar line.
^ I aspire to have a working knowledge of as many genres as you seem to
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I'm a bassist that writes most of my lines [with some guitarist help for being in key] and I do both. Sometimes I'm with drums, but mostly I'm with the guitar.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
IMO, it's way more fun to add some melody to the drums. Makes you stand out more as well. But then again, it depends on the song you're playing. I tend to lock in with the drummer as much as I can
Baaaaaaazz