Now the first person who replies i don't wanna hear its all about the amps. Well duh, i know that kirk uses randalls and James uses Diezel amps and thats where most of their sound comes from. I just want to know what pedals and effects can get me close to the black albums tones.

thanks for any help
well...what gear are you using currently?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Dude, their amps go waaaaaaaaayyyyy further than that. Theres mesa boogies thrown in there, dual rectifiers and triaxis, i dont even think kirk uses his randall live.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD H-1001
Axe FX II
Blackstar S1-100 (selling)
Ovation Applause
Keeley modded TS-9
Boss NS-2 (selling)
esp ltd kh-602 some old g21 pro effects system (it nails the clean tones) and a 1965 fender bassman with none original cabinet (different speakers for bttr metal tones)
i realize eyeofthestorm id be typing for days if i did. but kirk uses randall for recording
Check out YouTube demos of the Digitech TL-2 distortion pedal, it should be good for Metallica.
Obviously invest in a distortion pedal to fit Metallica's sound. Your amp has fantastic cleans, but lacks dist. obviously.

I'll recommend:

Radial Tonebone Hot British
Tech 21 Sansamp GT-2
TC Electronics Nova Drive
Blackstar HT-DISTX

All these pedals can pull of a Metallica tone. Just scoop the mids, and boost the bass and treble and you got a Metallica tone.
They have used tons of amps over the years..i think they also use multiple amps at once to give a thick sound, plus every guitar they have pretty much ever used as had emg actives. Plus for lead stuff you need a good wah
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Quote by camaross427
They have used tons of amps over the years..i think they also use multiple amps at once to give a thick sound, plus every guitar they have pretty much ever used as had emg actives. Plus for lead stuff you need a good wah

Yep.

Nothing you can do, except get a stupid high gain amp (IE something that emulates a Recto) and work from there.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Metallica_Fan_
pretty impressive but i sounds a little on the a7x side

Well you can always back off the gain a little.
My bugera 333 nails metallica tones without even trying.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Don't they use a lot of rack gear too?
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by Metallica_Fan_
i realize eyeofthestorm id be typing for days if i did. but kirk uses randall for recording

No he doesn't.

The Randall is his backstage practice amp...
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by no.mop
No he doesn't.

The Randall is his backstage practice amp...

Exactly, I think kirk uses practicaly the same amps as james for recording, I can never tell the guitars apart untill the solos, especially on death magnetic
Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD H-1001
Axe FX II
Blackstar S1-100 (selling)
Ovation Applause
Keeley modded TS-9
Boss NS-2 (selling)
That band is freakking old and they didn´t just use one brand.

Your best bet is:
Take amp
Scoop Mids
Boost highs
Add gain, but not too much.
Add dist. pedal if you have one.

Hum-bucking pickups.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
What people have suggested here is true.

In order to nail Metallica's tone, while, good luck to be honest.

However, if you want a tone in the ball park of Metallica, using your current gear, I still stick to my word to get a distortion pedal, or sell your amp for something better voice for metal.
spend $100 on a digitech metal master it \s heavey metal distort but has a morph knob to change from wolfmothr to metallica slayer sounds etc!
I use a Digitech Distortion Factory on the Metal Zone setting (shut it) and I get a great metal tone. I use it with my bass and mids on 4, and treble on 6, then play around with the EQ on the pedal. You could prolly do it with the TL-2 though. Ive also heard great things about Metal Muff too.
Quote by Lucd
spend $100 on a digitech metal master it \s heavey metal distort but has a morph knob to change from wolfmothr to metallica slayer sounds etc!

Talk about crappy tone. That pedal has the most unbearable tone I've ever heard from a pedal, and I used to own a BOSS MT-2, so that's saying something.
Quote by eyeofthestorm08
Exactly, I think kirk uses practicaly the same amps as james for recording, I can never tell the guitars apart untill the solos, especially on death magnetic

That's because James records all of the rhythm parts, and Kirk records most of the soloing.

TS, Metallica's guitars are heavily layered. I believe there were 80-some layers of overdubbing on Master of Puppets, so good luck getting that guitar tone. They pretty heavily scooped the mids from Kill 'Em All through Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All had NO midrange, it was all highs and lows, and they started using the midrange pretty heavily since 1991. They've also backed way down on the gain since the 80s.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.