Right guys, I'm probably just being silly now... but how low would you consider having a bass tuned, and why?

I'm considering drop F# (F#C#F#BE) because I like using C# standard (C#F#BE) and I think it would be cool to have a lower string with every low note I could ever possibly want.

What do you guys think of this? How low have you gone and/or be willing to go?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I never drop my 5 string down lower than A. I love a good low end, but I think that there's just a certain point that it sounds so low that the notes become indistinguishable.
Gear:
Palmer 4-String Electric
Palmer 4-String Acoustic
Orange Terror Bass 500 head
Orange OBC115 cab
M-Audio KeyRig 49
how about with a 180 low string just for the sheer heaviness of timbre around the 10th fret?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

That wouldn't be too bad. And some people might even think that playing on the first few frets or even open when it's that low sounds good. I'm sure it's not bad, just not for me really.

Out of curiosity, what kind of music do you play. I'm guessing metal, but you never know lol. Do any of your guitarists play a 7 string?
Gear:
Palmer 4-String Electric
Palmer 4-String Acoustic
Orange Terror Bass 500 head
Orange OBC115 cab
M-Audio KeyRig 49
I play a mixture of thrash and doom metal with death influences. (so basically fast shit that sounds evil with awesome drum beats).
I play in B standard with my band (just doom stuff) but am looking to record my own stuff by myself.

EDIT: and yes, I'm looking at getting a 7 string guitar at some point.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

As long as you can hear the note clearly, you can't go to low.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
For me I'll probably only ever go as low as a B, if that, and I could defintely live without it. A B string would be the lowest I would go for strings. I would rarely ever use notes below say a D or maybe a C, but the position with the lower string would be nice. Although the horrid sound of the low E above the tenth fret makes me think that the B would be even worse.

It's all about higher strings for me.
Remember that the lower you go with your tuning you have to have speakers that will take realy low frequencies.
Another point to think about is that the lower you go requires more amplifiare wattage as more power is required providing low notes at high level.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Remember that the lower you go with your tuning you have to have speakers that will take realy low frequencies.
Another point to think about is that the lower you go requires more amplifiare wattage as more power is required providing low notes at high level.

I hadn't thought of it like that...
I'm currently running my amp at 500W with a 4x10 and a 1x15. I could get the full 1000W from it with another 2 8ohm cabs. If I were to go through with this idea, would I be better off getting another 2 1x15s or would another 4x10 and 1x15 work ok?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
I hadn't thought of it like that...
I'm currently running my amp at 500W with a 4x10 and a 1x15. I could get the full 1000W from it with another 2 8ohm cabs. If I were to go through with this idea, would I be better off getting another 2 1x15s or would another 4x10 and 1x15 work ok?
How are you going to carry all that gear?
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
How are you going to carry all that gear?

big car

EDIT: I'm seriously considering one of those big 4x4s that are 15 years old that will run forever. You get those quite a bit round here.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Last edited by gilly_90 at Jan 10, 2010,
I'm a half step higher and I don't think it's too low. Drop G from D standard on a 6 string.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
I might custom make myself a fridge with 2x12 and 1x18 in it at some point for this very purpose
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Do you really need to go down that low. I would say an 18" cut of at 100 hx maybe even less and then pumped with 500-1000.

it seems the good 18's are around £200 and some of them want a cab around 200L which is bigger then a 4x10.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
But still, if a man wants ~18hz of floppy bass strings, than he can go forward with it The dB loss is not that great as you would imagine. Of course, there is some, and my bass stings are too floppy for this tuning, and I have no practical use of it - my band plays in B standart, but if he needs it, he needs it.
Quote by nesveikuolis
But also, you need 15"-18" speakers.

Now this is just balderdash. You do NOT need a 15-18" speaker.
A lot of people who play with F#0 or even C#0 have 10" speakers.
Check out AccuGroove. All their cabs handle F# with no problem at all.
Same thing with the Phil Jones 5" speakers.

A 18-21" speaker will be slow in response.
Conklin GTBD-7
Digitech JamMan
Guitar Rig Mobile
Korg AX10B
i occasionally do drop C on normal strings and tune the 5th string to G so f# is just one half step down from that it shouldent give you problems at all. thats with "normal"guage strigns with heavyer gauge strings you could go much much lower

my 8x10 can handle it just fine if your hooked up to a stage PA you will likely be pushed into several 18" subs so why bother bringing an extra one?

i think something like this would be a good addition to a personal amp http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-KCW1-200W-Keyboard-Subwoofer?sku=480177

power your regular cab full power and something like this. it has it's own power and hits hard and you will hear all the lowerst lows.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Last edited by Emergancy Exit at Jan 11, 2010,
idk, I think G# is the lowest I'd go (uncomfortably). Comfortably, I'd go to A
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I've had a go at that sort of thing - most of what I play is in C so when I got a 5 I tried GCFBbEb but it sounded like crap. I ended up changing strings and tuning it up to C instead. I didn't have any use for going lower. But you see what works for you.
Quote by Puma89
Now this is just balderdash. You do NOT need a 15-18" speaker.
A lot of people who play with F#0 or even C#0 have 10" speakers.
Check out AccuGroove. All their cabs handle F# with no problem at all.
Same thing with the Phil Jones 5" speakers.

A 18-21" speaker will be slow in response.
First 18"-21" speakers will be responding to the high sound levels at low freqencies which something that small speakers cannot unless in massive multiples.
10s/5s cannot, on their own, reproduce low frequencies at high sound levels, if they could knowone would build 18s anymore.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
First 18"-21" speakers will be responding to the high sound levels at low freqencies which something that small speakers cannot unless in massive multiples.
10s/5s cannot, on their own, reproduce low frequencies at high sound levels, if they could knowone would build 18s anymore.

Yves Carbonne has a B-string at 15.4 hz and he uses a AccuGroove Tri210L.
Paul Delano uses El Whappo's which is 15". He even goes to C# at 17.32 hz.
Gregory Bruce Campbell have 4 AccuGroove tri112 cabs and plays F# with no problem.

It not just about how big speaker you have. It is about so much more.
Conklin GTBD-7
Digitech JamMan
Guitar Rig Mobile
Korg AX10B
Quote by Puma89
Yves Carbonne has a B-string at 15.4 hz and he uses a AccuGroove Tri210L.
Paul Delano uses El Whappo's which is 15". He even goes to C# at 17.32 hz.
Gregory Bruce Campbell have 4 AccuGroove tri112 cabs and plays F# with no problem.

It not just about how big speaker you have. It is about so much more.

What type of applications are the above used in; are they live with Rock/heavy metal etc?
Also are these set ups without augmentation of FOH and foldback?

I didn't discount 15s which I myself use as full bacline without FOH.

With a speaker it is about moving air, side by side in a live application a 10"/5" will not move as much air as an 18" or a 15" at high sound levels with the same input of watts.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I didn't say that a 10" won't reproduce the F# - it will, but with dB loss, at least most speakers. FFS.... EVERY SPEAKER HANDLES DIFFERENT FREQUENCIES....
Check the frequency range of the speakers to understand what range it can handle. FYI, 15"'s are produced because they have a lower responce frequency...
Speakers will have sound level loss below the range that they were meant to reproduce... I hope that this stops this bullshit debate.
Meshuggah's bassist plays with a low F#?

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3