Okay, I currently have a MIM Fender Strat and it is basically stock besides some cosmetic upgrades and a Seymour Duncan TB-4 dropped into the bridge position. What would be the best amp I can get within $300-600 that can handle high gain metal in the style of Megadeth (old Megadeth back in Rust in Peace & such days - not the new :eek and Metallica, and can churn out modern rock like "Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades " and "The Quiet Things No One Ever Knows " by Brand New. It basically needs just to be able to handle cleans well and hit both modern rock to heavy rock a la Brand New, Paramore (might try that), Motion City Soundtrack, and TRJA. It needs to be thick and crunchy.

Here's what my Strat is basically for sake of putting more detail:
- Rosewood fretboard
- Made in 2006 (This makes a difference I think because they started making them better in this year supposedly)
- Alder Body
- .10-.46 gauge strings
- Seymour Duncan TB-4 bridge pickup (Middle & Neck pickups are stock)

And comments/suggestions are fine, I'm open to ideas on amps.
I think your best bet would be to get a Bugera 333XL.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
For another hundred or so, you may be able to find a decent JCM900 combo.
BRAND NEW FTW!

I'd hit up a JCM 900 combo. Jesse uses a 60w 900, so.... yeah. It'll do the 80's thrash too if you eq it right.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Maybe a B-52 AT112. I got one and I LOVE it. :-D
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
I like the sound of the Marshall JCM900 combo - it's pretty sweet. I think I'll definitely consider it (used of course) and plus it's tube Oh, I'll be using it for practice and jamming with my friends, don't know how many watts theirs are, but with the option to switch it from 100W to 50W is nice and convenient if it's too loud. But I don't mind if it's loud, I mean I'd like to be able to use it down the road for jams and such where it needs to be loud to get over the drummer. If it comes to it, I can always get a small Vox amp I'm looking at just to practice on.

Just to sum it up, if it's loud it's all good.
Last edited by HealthyNormal at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by HealthyNormal
I like the sound of the Marshall JCM900 combo - it's pretty sweet. I think I'll definitely consider it (used of course) and plus it's tube Oh, I'll be using it for practice and jamming with my friends, don't know how many watts theirs are, but with the option to switch it from 100W to 50W is nice and convenient if it's too loud. But I don't mind if it's loud, I mean I'd like to be able to use it down the road for jams and such where it needs to be loud to get over the drummer. If it comes to it, I can always get a small Vox amp I'm looking at just to practice on.

Just to sum it up, if it's loud it's all good.

Well, like I said, Jesse Lacey uses the 60 watt JCM900 head, last time I checked his live setup.

The JCM is pretty solid, I like them. My personal favorite is the 900SLX, but I don't think that ever was made into a combo.
--

--
I'd say the Bugera 1990, pretty much a copy of a JCM900.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Wow, thanks for all this input - I would have never thought to check out these amps. I'm looking at all of these right now

Quote by stratman_13
Well, like I said, Jesse Lacey uses the 60 watt JCM900 head, last time I checked his live setup.

The JCM is pretty solid, I like them. My personal favorite is the 900SLX, but I don't think that ever was made into a combo.

That's Great then, because I'm leaning towards the Marshall a lot. I like the cleans and distortion myself. Would be sick with a pedal or two
Last edited by HealthyNormal at Jan 10, 2010,
I didn't like the 1990 I tried out, but if you find a quality one, then go for it. Swap out the preamp tubes though; the ones it comes with aren't really the best. I think that may have been the problem I was having when I tried one.

EDIT: The SLX is the "KISS amp", though, so it'll be good for 80's metal/arena rock/rock, but I dunno for stuff like BN.
--

--
Combo amp or head + cabinet? Combo, look at the Bugera 6262 or 333XL (new, of course). If you go used, you should be able to pick up a good Marshall JCM or DSL combo in that price range. Now, if you want a head and cabinet, it might be a stretch in that price range if you want a good tube amplifier.
Quote by FatalGear41
Combo amp or head + cabinet? Combo, look at the Bugera 6262 or 333XL (new, of course). If you go used, you should be able to pick up a good Marshall JCM or DSL combo in that price range. Now, if you want a head and cabinet, it might be a stretch in that price range if you want a good tube amplifier.

Yeah... A head + cabinet may not be the best idea right now, considering it would take over as my main amp, and it would be one helluva of an amp to tote places and practice on (well depending on cabinet size I guess). I'm mainly looking for a nice combo, tube would rock but if it's solid state and really nice I might consider it. If I had more money, heck this would be a lot easier :P
I'd have to say a Bugera 333xl or 6262.

I can vouch for the 6262 since I own one and love it to bits, but I also have extensively tried out a 333xl.

It all comes down to what sound you want more.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
VOX VT 50/100. I have the same thing you do expect for a maple fingerboard and it was made in '09.
---CURRENT GEAR---
-Lefty FENDER Std. Stratocaster
-Lefty ROGUE Dreadnought Acoustic
-VOX Valvetronix VT50
-TC ELECTRONIC ND-1 Nova Delay
-VISUAL SOUND Jekyll&Hyde Overdrive/Distortion
-IBANEZ TS9 Tube Screamer
Quote by JayT44
I think your best bet would be to get a Bugera 333XL.

This

Or the Bugera 6262

Both are nice amps.... rest is just personal preference