This might be a stupid question, but i was just asked this, and didnt have an answer. So can someone clarify?
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
i don't know where to start on this, so i'll make it as brief as possible.

flat/sharp are just notes.

major/minor has to do with how notes relate to other notes.
If you sharp a note, then you raise it one half-step. If you flat a note, then you lower it one half step.

If you're tuning, though, sharp means that you are slightly higher than the pitch you are going for, flat means lower.

Major means just the standard chord / scale, while minor usually means flat the 3rd and raise the 7th

i could go more in depth with this but this is enough for now

seriously dude these are the basics of everything music.
Last edited by JazzNick67 at Jan 10, 2010,
flat/sharp refers to the "height" of the note according to another note. If a note is higher, then it's sharp, if it's lower, it's flat. In your guitar, for example, The 2nd fret in the G string is an A. The 3rd fret is A sharp (A#) because it's higher than A but not quite a B. And the 1st fret is A flat (Ab), because it's lower than A but not yet a G. These flat and sharp notes share names, beccause notice that an Ab will be the same note as a G#, and the A# is the same as Bb. The way you name it matters according to scales and other stuff, but you can name that note either way.

And major/minor, refers to the way that notes are organized in certain order to get different sounds. This may refer to either chords or scales.

In scales, it's about making the notes follow each other in a particular way so that they achieve certain sound or feeling.To achieve these orders in different keys, you modify certain notes to be flat or sharp so they get to the same major or minor configuration as before. For example, play C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C on your guitar (thats the C natural major scale) and then play D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#-D (D natural major scale). they are different notes but they remain in certain order, so they are both major scales.

In chords, it's more about combining the sounds of notes to get different sounds. If you play C-E-G at the same time, thats a C major chrd. If you play C-Eb-G, it's a C minor, and you can notice it sounds different.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Jan 10, 2010,
yeah i mean its a really simple question, but its like its TOO simple of a question. thanks guys.
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Flat/sharp refers to a single note.

Major/minor refers to intervals - you can't have a "minor" note.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by JazzNick67
If you sharp a note, then you raise it one half-step. If you flat a note, then you lower it one half step.

If you're tuning, though, sharp means that you are slightly higher than the pitch you are going for, flat means lower.

Major means just the standard chord / scale, while minor usually means flat the 3rd and raise the 7th
i could go more in depth with this but this is enough for now

seriously dude these are the basics of everything music.

Lolwut.

Seriously, TS, read up on theory. There's lots of good lessons on this site.