Ok so I replaced the tone knobs on my epi les paul because one was scratchy. I found that the new pots (500k) have much more range than the old ones (300k). After awhile my volume knob also started to act up. I replaced the both of them today and now have a huge cut in the volume I get out of them. I have to turn them to 7 in order for them to even make an output that the amp can recognize. I put 500k ones in to replace the 300's. Did I do something wrong? I copied the wiring with pictures I took before doing anything as well as online wiring charts. Can someone help me with this please?!
I luckily bought a new guitar yesterday and have no problem with that so its not the amp. I just really wanted a second guitar I could tune down for quick song changes....
hey, i always forget which is which, but there are linear and audio taper pots, and ones a gradual volume increase.

and maybe you bought the wrong ones?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Firstly, 500K pots should give you a slightly brighter tone than 300K, but I was under the impression that Les Pauls always had 500K...

Do you know what type of pots you bought? It'll help us work out the issue.
yeah 500 is the usual, but that's not going to effect the volume.

like you said, that's a tone preference thing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Ok just checked the old stuff...the tone pots were 300k....and the volume pots were 500k. I bought 500k audio taper pots for the volume. They only had the Gibson one's at the guitarcenter I was at so I payed a few more bucks but I was never asked which type of pots I wanted..and honestly didn't know there was a difference.

And yes he 500k sound much better and brighter as tone pots.
Hmm well they're called audio taper as we don't hear sound linearly, so by exponentially increasing the volume, we hear it normally when increasing the volume. Anyhow... Only thing I can think of is that you accidentally swapped the wires that go to the pot contacts?
like said, you put the correct types on, so feel free to take this over to the wiring thread in the custom section.

take some pics or explain your setup, and they'll work it out for you.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

very possible! haha By chance does anyone have a site where I can get a simple les paul schematic. The guitar is 6 years old and everything decided to go at once.
Try this pic, but this is getting into the whole "gear customising" thing now.

Heh, what country you in? Think it'd be a bit hard to get there

Ok so if you can't fix it with that, take it to the wiring thread in the customising forum, and see what people there have to say

thanks for your help! o shoot you live in australia?! I think it would take you a while to get to the US.