SKIP TO STEP 5 IF YOU ARE ONLY INTERESTED IN THE NEW TIP:

Okay, so I bought a cheap guitar on ebay by Stedman Pro, It is equipped with a Liscenced Floyd Rose, but its a cheap one, so even when set up properly, it goes slightly flat after a dive, but if i pull it up from the neutral position, it fixes it, but as it was not perfect it made me quite made.

So I went out and bought a new set of strings after the factory ones wore out (i dont play gigs, so why let a set of strings go to waste?) I wanted to go from the factory .09's to .11's and I didnt want to adjust the FR to another string gauge, so here is what I did.

1. take the plate off the back and measure with a caliper, (feeler gauges work too) the distance between the spring side of the body, and the trem block. mine was 2.7mm.

2. I then looked for something that thickness, luckily i had a washer that exact thickness

3. I blocked the trem, and removed the strings. (this may seem stupid, but i didnt tighten the string blocks on the brigde, and the little blocks fell out, and I almost lost them. so beware)

4. I removed the springs on the back and took out the bridge and it was not attached to the guitar at all.

5. Here is the NEW TIP;Do you want to "permanently" block the trem without soldering, or hot glueing? want to EASILY be able to undo the "block"? read on... Instead of hot glueing or soldering the washer to the trem block as I have seen in almost every other permanent solution, I have some metal duct tape. This can be picked up at wal-mart or your local hardware store, and is a little more expensive than regular duct tape, but way less permanent than solder, or hot glue. I just taped my washer, or whatever you might use, to the trem block with the metal duct tape. Because the duct tape I used is specially designed to bond to metal, it won't come off unless I want it to!

From there I just put everything back together, and it works PERFECTLY! And now I am totally satisfied.
Gear:
Lotus strat copy (1996)
Stedman Pro Executioner
B.C. Rich Warbeast STD
B.C. Rich KKV Signature
Schecter Damien Elite FR
Fender P-Bass

Amp:
Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall 4x12 cab with celestion rockin 30's
Boss ME-50 Multi-effects
cool story bro.

not really that new though, people have taped things on to block trems before, but tape isnt even necessary. It will hold by itself usually...
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
The reason I used that tape, and tape at all, is because I wanted to be able to dive and stay in tune. As well as that duct tape won't just give up like scotch tape, etc. Also forgot to mention, that As opposed to regular duct tape, This kind gives no added thickness to speak of, where as regualar duct tape is approx .5mm thick.
Gear:
Lotus strat copy (1996)
Stedman Pro Executioner
B.C. Rich Warbeast STD
B.C. Rich KKV Signature
Schecter Damien Elite FR
Fender P-Bass

Amp:
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss ME-50 Multi-effects
So you duct-taped it? That's not all that new. You could also have used Scotch Tape or masking tape for the same result.

EDIT: Unless you're constantly messing around with it, scotch and masking tape wouldn't come off either.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
as I stated above, the main reason for the METAL DUCT TAPE (yes, its a strip of metal with adhesive) has almost NO thickness of its own, So I didnt have to compensate with my washer, or wood, or whatever I have have used.
Gear:
Lotus strat copy (1996)
Stedman Pro Executioner
B.C. Rich Warbeast STD
B.C. Rich KKV Signature
Schecter Damien Elite FR
Fender P-Bass

Amp:
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss ME-50 Multi-effects
Quote by britishsligean
Rob chappers approch seem more easier or maybe it's the fact he is good at teaching have a look for yourself

His approach was specifically for a Fender style trem, and and not a Floyd Rose. But granted he is much more interesting and talented than I.
Gear:
Lotus strat copy (1996)
Stedman Pro Executioner
B.C. Rich Warbeast STD
B.C. Rich KKV Signature
Schecter Damien Elite FR
Fender P-Bass

Amp:
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss ME-50 Multi-effects
1)there's nothing that has no thickness, because it would have to be 2 dimensional. Oh well, semantics, I know.

2) Scotch tape or masking tape arent that thick at all...
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
correct, but I was also interested in durability, and the duct tape won. I didnt want to worry at all about it being worn out from rubbing against the body.
Gear:
Lotus strat copy (1996)
Stedman Pro Executioner
B.C. Rich Warbeast STD
B.C. Rich KKV Signature
Schecter Damien Elite FR
Fender P-Bass

Amp:
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss ME-50 Multi-effects
Quote by BCRichFan666
His approach was specifically for a Fender style trem, and and not a Floyd Rose. But granted he is much more interesting and talented than I.

1: Blocking a trem is blocking a trem
2: Metal duct tape could cause some grounding issues, or alternatively could affect your tone by adding more metal mass.

EDIT: If the trem's blocked, it won't be rubbing at all, and durability won't be an issue.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
The grounding issue, is null because

(a) the guitar is properly grounded,
(b) Wood is NOT a conductor
(c) The adhesive between the Duct tape and the trem is also, NOT a conductor

And I am satisfied with my modification, as it actually improved my sustain by almost 5 seconds, and there was no change in my tone. And I am happy with this, and that's really all that matters.

EDIT: Also I only blocked it so that I can dive, but not pull up.
Gear:
Lotus strat copy (1996)
Stedman Pro Executioner
B.C. Rich Warbeast STD
B.C. Rich KKV Signature
Schecter Damien Elite FR
Fender P-Bass

Amp:
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss ME-50 Multi-effects
Quote by BCRichFan666

i believe he did with his esp horizon which he has now sold, he only used a trat as it was the only trem equipped guitar that was available that need the trem blocking
eh, even so, I am confident that My mod will withstand the test of time, and I didnt have to screw into the body a block of wood.
Gear:
Lotus strat copy (1996)
Stedman Pro Executioner
B.C. Rich Warbeast STD
B.C. Rich KKV Signature
Schecter Damien Elite FR
Fender P-Bass

Amp:
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss ME-50 Multi-effects
congrats TS for finding smt that works for you.

*closes thread before it becomes a shit-fest*

sorry TS, people have a tendency to give their opinions even when they are no longer needed or wanted and that results in spam fests. again, congrats.