I've searched through the lessons just crossing my fingers for someone to explain what makes post-hardcore music post-hardcore? I saw every music style from metal, to ska but no sub genre's. I love bands like Dance Gavin Dance, and Gwen Stacy, not only do I not see any lessons, I rarely see any full tabs. I would greatly appreciate anyone who could write a lesson article about this not only for myself, but other guitarists like me, who want to perform this style but are simply lost as to how.

Other examples include Memphis May Fire, Emarosa, A Skylit Drive, or Burden of a Day, ect. You'll understand if you just tag it.
If you can't find a tab try learning it by ear. Find the note first, then the pattern..
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Drop D open string chugging, pinch harmonics, and little tapping runs
Peavey JSX
Traynor YCV
Fender '68 Bassman
Jetter Gain Stage Red OD
MI Audio Crunch Box
Fulltone Choralflange
Fender Strat
Carvin 7 String
Idk how much all those bands would be considered post hardcore... I'm no expert, but I think what stands as pretty much the best example of "true" post-hardcore would be thrice's vhessue or however you spell it. Dance Gavin Dance would probably fit nicely, but not so much gwen stacy. and those other bands aren't so much. I don't know what you'd call it, but the screamy breakdown stuff thats been soaked up by warped tour lately isn't really post hardcore... unless I'm horribly mistaken.

however, if you're talking about sounding like those bands, it isn't so much guitar technique centered as most other heavy stuff, so writing the guitar side of things would be fairly incomplete. But, it tends to be dissonant intervals, Minor 2nds and tritones a lot with breakdowns that are heavily syncopated. Also, they tend to branch out of the powerchords thats been the staple of guitar music lately. Look up the tab for "past should stay dead" by emarosa for some sweet chords that sound a little more full and colorful than powerchords tend to.

The best way to get their sound is to learn their songs and assimilate pieces into your riff stockpile until the things they do that makes them unique sticks on you.

Edit:
Quote by randomdude

dumbass, go somewhere else
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by randomdude

Not quite. Good posthardcore is surprisingly complex stuff. Also, that was more suited to metalcore anyway.
god i hate people who complain about every single insignificant sub genre.
not everyband is so innovative that they get their own little slice of music history. they're just not that important
post-hardcore? fine, its been around long enough
metalcore? please. i will shoot myself in the foot before i call someone by that title.
no one even knows half of all the little sub genres you people have for music these days.
Quote by musicman1012
god i hate people who complain about every single insignificant sub genre.
not everyband is so innovative that they get their own little slice of music history. they're just not that important
post-hardcore? fine, its been around long enough
metalcore? please. i will shoot myself in the foot before i call someone by that title.
no one even knows half of all the little sub genres you people have for music these days.

Are you kidding? You don't think there's a shiit ton of bands that sound like a cross between hardcore and metal? are you serious? and wouldn't that be called metalcore? that seems like a nice blend of the two words phonetically. speak out of your mouth not your ass.
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Metalcore is a legitimate genre. It's a fusion of hardcore punk and metal. It's been around for a while, but it's gaining prominence on the metal scene. It's not just some little subgenre; it's a large component of the NWOAHM.
I very much appreciate this, I wish I had seen this tab recently. These chords open up a new sound, and it creates a fill for the songs I've been working on that sounded empty. I would really like to see someone write a lesson on Post-hardcore technique, I have a feeling that would help in the later futer. But once again thank you.
Quote by parkourclown
I very much appreciate this, I wish I had seen this tab recently. These chords open up a new sound, and it creates a fill for the songs I've been working on that sounded empty. I would really like to see someone write a lesson on Post-hardcore technique, I have a feeling that would help in the later futer. But once again thank you.

try a lot of slides on the low D string, like Underoath does a lot. Or particularly this one as cities burn song from their first album that I can't remember the name of... But actually, that entire album would open your eyes to LOTS of great original technique. their playing is so outside the box, but its not obnoxious, I love it. Seriously, if there's something that will benifit you more than listening to as cities burn, especially their first album. Tone has a lot to do with it too, boost the mids bro.

But seriously right now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnfN-Rz2DCo&feature=PlayList&p=505A1C44D819141B&index=9 there's a taste, go download the rest of their stuff. AS CITIES BURN!

Edit: here's a playlist of that album. once you're done orgasming, you can thank me. http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B38580334EA23455&search_query=as+cities+burn+son+i+loved+you+at+your+darkest

the song is admission regret, you'll hear what I'm talking about, its at like 45 seconds
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
Last edited by Lt.DanHasLegs at Jan 11, 2010,
Why, exactly, should you want to be stuck to one genre of music? Play what sounds good. Who gives a f*ck what it's called. If what you play sounds good to you, you're doing the right thing. There's really no other way to understand a genre other than listening to what bands in the genre sound like. Nobody can teach you how something sounds.

Just play what you hear in your head, man.
he wants some help adapting the good parts from bands that get called post hardcore. sometimes its hard to identify what you like about something, let alone how to encorperate it. unfortunately with this genre as opposed to classic rock, there's no minor pentatonic to learn to give you that same kind of sound.
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
he wants some help adapting the good parts from bands that get called post hardcore. sometimes its hard to identify what you like about something, let alone how to encorperate it. unfortunately with this genre as opposed to classic rock, there's no minor pentatonic to learn to give you that same kind of sound.

I've never really experienced this, so I can't really argue anything. However, I do wish TS the best of luck!
TS, check out some The Fall of Troy tabs. Not exactly post-hardcore (although a little sometimes) but Thomas Erak uses plenty of cool chord voicings with 7ths instead of power chords. I just learned this from the video. Lots of chords to work with.
check out some Thrice for some complex guitar work. There is tons of tabs on here. Learn a little tapping, fast leads, different time signatures.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/thrice_tabs.htm

this is Of Dust and Nations -- http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/t/thrice/of_dust_and_nations_tab.htm

it has tapping, easy rhythm guitar, very melodic. You'll definitely like this.

easier to do the intro/verse like this: pick the first 5 notes then tap the 7p0

[tab]Intro pt.1: (Guitar 1, x8)
|-------10-----------------------------------------------------------------|
|-0-7-8----8-7p0-7p0-7p0-7p0-7p0-(slow down on eighth time)----------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|[/tab]
talk to me
and i better not hear a word
do me baby
i better not feel it girl
i still got one bullet left in my nine
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

lovecrimes -- frank ocean

Tumblr
Last edited by Fearless(Times) at Jan 12, 2010,