Hey,

This is my latest song. It's filled with all kinds of dissonant stuff, maybe a bit overkill i don't know... Don't use RSE.

C4C

Grtz
Attachments:
Nicky.gp4
Nickygp5.gp5
Last edited by saddam at Jan 14, 2010,
Very Dissonant, although I liked it. Very interesting and odd. I loved the bass it was amazing. The song had some really great parts although there were times when I just though 'WTF'.

I don't mean the above in a negative way, this just seems very new to me. It had some nice Time Signature changes and the tremolo picking sections were really great.

I really enjoyed the part where the Synth came in and the clean guitar section.

I don't really know what to rate it really, I'd give it 9/10 but it really left me trying to comprehend it really.

overall great job, the instruments were great and I'd like to hear it recorded.

also, thank you for the crit.
Quote by Kämpfer

overall great job, the instruments were great and I'd like to hear it recorded.

I doubt the playability of this piece.
Returning crit!

Intro starts off setting the mood quite nicely 8-|. I don't know what to think about it yet.

Second riff was pretty cool, different. The clean part following was sweet and i loved it when it went distorted, as far as this dissonant stuff goes.

33 takes a turn into some brutal deathmetal-style power chord stuff. Bass intro was cool and the riff itself wasn't bad. I liked the tremelo interludes in the riff. The dissonance makes it sound.. well dissonant, but I guess that's the point of the song?

The solo was pretty ****ed LOL.

48 was really cool apart from having to turn down my volume. Clean part following reminded me of Meshuggah for some reason is really cool. 63 sounds pretty cool I guess. Lead at 65 did nothing for me.. the riff at 70 is def the catchiest in the song lol.

81 is just.. what the HELL. That's some screwed up stuff man.

I don't know how to crit this, I guess it's an acquired taste? Some parts sounded like random cluster****s of noise and some parts were tolerable. It's unique and I commend you for not being generic.. but maybe try a little less hard ? Solid attempt, not giving a rating though.
We can only guffaw at all the humbug we are told about martyrs.
^Thanks man! Means a lot to me that you liked it, you're one of my favourite composers on here!

To the others thanks as well of course!

Some info on the ending: It's supposed to recreate the feel of a complete descent into madness, it's what I think that would sound like if that helps anything...
That's my solution for making the harmonic on the 9th fret on the high e sound louder in RSE...
bar 18 into 19 was cool. it kinda reminds me of Primus after 19 but more dissonant and crazy. I like the heavyness of bar 23.
I didnt think it would be possible to write a good lead over bar 25, but you proved me wrong i guess.
33 was kinda sudden and unexpected, but that pretty much describes the whole song anyway so **** it.
all i have to say about the solo is holy shit.

to be honest this song is way over the top for my taste, but i can see where you're coming from so it gets a 5/10 for me. not terrible. just my opinion.
Quote by saddam
^Thanks man! Means a lot to me that you liked it, you're one of my favourite composers on here!

To the others thanks as well of course!

Some info on the ending: It's supposed to recreate the feel of a complete descent into madness, it's what I think that would sound like if that helps anything...

I'll type a real critique of it.

The first riff is probably my least favorite, but I do like the groove it has. It just seems a bit unnatural sounding but not in a way that is privy to my liking. At bar 9 though, something massive happens. You bring in these huge ugly chords combined with a simply aggressive rhythm and you put drum fills in all the right places. Mood achieved, chaos, we're here.

BAR 16 - What a strange section, and the last section flowed wonderfully into it I must add. The clean part here is great, somewhat disturbed with a flair of apathy. Nice use of all those weird chords and the chromaticness. No 7/8 was noticed either my friend. Bar 18, WOW. strange accents here. good ones. I must add that I don't like this riff as much as the one that originally starts at bar 9-10, that one is my favorite. and yes, I do hear all of your great bass work, it sounds good.

BAR 33 - CHEESE. but it works perfectly here. LAME METAL RIFF. you set it up really well though, and it works. Especially that tremolo picking part, that was cool. BAR 43, wow what a solo. Remind me of the begining of this Opeth song... Godhead's Lament. At least the first part. I dont care for the last few notes of the solo. Bar 47... maybe too high pitched for my ears?

54 transitions well into BAR 55 - What a bar. I love this chromatic bend wankery, its creepy, yet chill. Then suddenly you hear a wicked slap bass + drum fill combination that climaxes into an upbeat riff that you're not sure is happy or deranged... maybe both. Nice lead section here as well, really adds to the feel.

69 is a good changeup yes. works perfectly. I have to say I like the riff itself. It reminds me of my emotions.

BAR 80, the song explodes into madness I can't describe any further (which describes it well enough) just an insane slayer-ish type solo over rhythm that is much more awesome than Slayer's. The last few bars are my favorite, that fadeout makes me happy.

1/10.
^Don't really know if you're joking or not , why would you give me a good critique topped off with a 1/10 score?
Some things work, others don't. It could work in a band situation, but some of the more Chaotic parts should be a bit more Coherent. Some Parts gave me a bit of a "Chaining the Katechon" Feel, if you've ever listened to that song.

The softer Dissonance was pretty enjoyable, but some bits were a bit "Bleh".

If you ever record this, or play it, try to iron out a bit of the things that are just too out there. You want it weird, but not unlistenable. You have to let people find the groove in it.

Some parts were awesome, some not so much. Sorry I can't be more specific, but don't worry. Im sure it will be great when your ready to record/play it.
Cheers for the crit on mine

It's pretty crazy. Like, this isn't my type of music really so it's kinda hard to give a good crit on this just because I'm mostly thinking the whole way through that I don't like the sound of this.

I think the intro riff is played too many times though, gets a bit boring. I dunno what to think of the section afterwards, I guess it's what you wanted and that's fine, I don't think there's anything wrong with that really. I do like the short clean bit afterwards which ends on one bar of a jazzy guitar. Flows well into the distorted section. The lead over the bars 25ish(some where around here) work well over the top. The change at bar 33 is pretty cool though. I dunno what to say about the bars 40ish, it's just too messy for my liking. I don't think the transition into bar 69 works very well. I guess the ending works alright

I really don't know what to say for the most part since it's just not my taste, but I guess you achieved what you wanted, so good job on that.
Quote by saddam
^Don't really know if you're joking or not , why would you give me a good critique topped off with a 1/10 score?

He might have meant 10/10, just made a typo.
Hey dude, thanks for your crit.

First off, this is not my style, and normally I hate pretty much dissonant. I really like harmonies.

Crit:
Well... it sounds... dissonant? That's what you were trying to achieve, and you did. Really great.

Actually, one or two riffs were pretty cool, i.e. the one from bar 18 on. Or the one around bar 57. I liked that.
Another thing I liked were the drums, they were pretty cool.

Otherwise, for my taste it was way to dissonant. I can't really say something about it. I just feel that you tried to hard, at some points. But maybe that was intended. I don't know.

Btw, at some points, this would have been the perfect theme for an old gameboy game placed in a madhouse.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
That was the most dissonant, disgusting thing I have heard in my life... I love it! I really, really do! My favorite part was probably at bar 43, but the part at 55 ran a close second. I'd give it a 7/10. The only things I can say for improvement is some of the drum work, and 33 was a bit boring. I apologize for this sorry excuse of a crit, but I won't ask for one back. Nice job overall!
Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Banned because.. that was brilliant, champayne

Some of My Recent Songs

[thread="1403441"]Synthetic Damage WIP[/thread]

[thread="1350364"]The Nightman Awakens[/thread]

[thread="1322579"]Into the Sunset WIP[/thread]

[thread="1296556"]Frost[/thread]
[thread="1247340"]The Butter Knife Massacre[/thread]
[thread="1253933"]Into The Sparta Pit[/thread]

[thread="1224038"]Untitled Tech Thing[/thread]
It's sort of an acquired taste, it starts off as pure horror, and on subsequent listens it starts to become really quite enjoyable.

Unfortunately my ears exploded when I reached bar 81 so I have some difficulty getting the full effect.
Quote by plucky duck
arnt scandinavians all albino or am i mistaken? apologies if i am

Quote by cocodrilo83
logic is not always right
oh man that was awesome, please record this, i would totally buy an album full of this without hesitation. it's batshit insane to be honest but im loving it either way.