Im torn between getting a fretless 5 string or a fretted 5 string. I do have a fretted 5 string already, and I enjoy the fretless sound, and I do a fair amount of slap/pop, and my style is similar to Ryan Martinie's, but will it work well for metal?
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
yes. do it!!!! im gunna get a fretless jazz for my metal band
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
i was told never to slap/pop on a fretless
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
Quote by DeadlyKombat

why not? its just a different tone
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by DeadlyKombat

Les Claypool would like a word with you.

stratkat
meh, just what i was told. in the clash of metal and wood, the metal strings will always win. so i guess its bad in the long run.
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
Primus is technically Metal, in some sense, so there ya go, and I imagine any Jazz-centric Metal band will have used it at least once, not sure, but maybe Athiest or Nile? (just guessing)

Slapping/popping on a fretless should be minimal, it will be bad in the long run, but worth doing in the short.
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
heck, even no metal bands have yet to use it,WHY NOT?

if u like 'em, buy 'em!
Augury, Quo Vadis, Death's Individual Thought Patterns, all use(d) fretless bass.

Steve Digiorgio played the fretless on Quo Vadis's newest album and Death's ITP.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Why has Obscura not yet been mentioned?
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
It will be a smoother sound, so it will contrast greatly from the harsh, distorted guitar sounds. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. It will be unique and make the bass stand out more. I say go for it.
I'm thinking about getting my 5 string de-fretted, but I might just end up de-fretting my four string which I don't play as much any more because I'm not sure if I'll like fretless or not
Gear:
Palmer 4-String Electric
Palmer 4-String Acoustic
Orange Terror Bass 500 head
Orange OBC115 cab
M-Audio KeyRig 49
Well I also really enjoy the real crisp twang that comes with a nice pop, and the clack of the strings like this guy has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz-oxs90X6Y

I dont think you can get that with a fretless.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Benjabenja

THIS.

The bass playing throughout Cosmogenesis might be the best part of the whole album.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
While they aren't metal, Cream paved the way for metal (among others) and Jack Bruce now uses a fretless Warwick almost exclusively - including for Cream's Reunion Tour.

As long as you don't go Larry Graham psycho with your slapping, there shouldn't be any problems slapping with roundwounds on a fretless bass. This is especially true if you don't use a fretless with an ebony fretboard.
I would say it depends on what type of metal you plan to play. If you're talking about looking for a crushing sound as you follow the root notes of the guitars and such, fretless is probably not a good choice.

But when you take Obscura's new album I can't imagine the bass sounding any different. It perfectly compliments the rest of the music and is fantastic to listen to over and over.

Not to say you can't do something that isn't typically done, just my opinion on what would sound best

Oh, and I just purchased a carvin fretless today and totally plan on using it for some death metal application. Not sure what strings I'm going to put on it yet though.
Last edited by Lazarus.Bird at Jan 10, 2010,
Obscura is a prime example..
It shouldn't be a problem at all.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Quote by TheTortured
Augury, Quo Vadis, Death's Individual Thought Patterns, all use(d) fretless bass.

Steve Digiorgio played the fretless on Quo Vadis's newest album and Death's ITP.

I didnt know that about quo vadis. Goddam, now i need a fretless...=(
Just got a 5 string fretless and it absouletly works well with metal. As mentioned before, there are a couple of bands and players that have them, I listened to them quite a bit to get an idea of technique and sound. For me the fretless allowed me to play faster with a very low action while being generally smoother (I could also do more uniform slides). My EQs do some of the work for me but I do find that I can stand out a bit better with the overall sound while still getting those growly lows. I say go for it! Even my fellow guitarist loves to play it and we have to fight over it.
Equip List: MTD Artist 5 fretless, Ampeg SVT 810, GK NEO 410, Behringer BVT5500H, Boss (EQ, LS-2, ChromoTuner, Overdrive)
Quote by TheTortured

^^this.
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
Lars Norberg who is an utterly fantastic bassist and not just in metal, but in general uses fretless on his work with Ihsahn. He doesn't use it in Spiral Architect though, although it sorta sounds like it.

Jodan DeFarfalla from Opeth mostly used fretless on their first two albums also. Great bassist as well.

Then Tyr from Borknagar has an 8 string (with low F# and high F strings) that is also fretless. He's also awesome.

Are you seeing a pattern?

edit: Steve DiGiorgio only plays fretless, period, and he's been on god knows how many albums... and I think Joe Lester from Intronaut is the same way, not sure though.
What type of strings are you using? I just got mine and need to put new strings on it. Can't decide what I want to put on :O

Ive left the roundwounds on there for now and will probably keep that style but thinking of increasing the guage slightly with some DA strings as they seem a bit on the light side (Im used to playing my old 4 string with starting with the 55 guage using the bottom 4 strings out of a 5 string set as we do a lot of drop tuning).
Equip List: MTD Artist 5 fretless, Ampeg SVT 810, GK NEO 410, Behringer BVT5500H, Boss (EQ, LS-2, ChromoTuner, Overdrive)
I'll probably get a fretless headless bass in about 2 and af half months and I'm going to use it for everything, including metal ^^
The metric system, bro, the metric system.
Quote by TheIrishPatriot
Have sex to Colors. Warning: You may never feel as epic ever again.
Quote by Lovecannon
Well I also really enjoy the real crisp twang that comes with a nice pop, and the clack of the strings like this guy has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz-oxs90X6Y

I dont think you can get that with a fretless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9djDf7S2xQ

You can't get that crips, but got sent us EQ's and effects to make it up, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1XaVcj_4k0 Masked playing ftw?
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Smooth prog metal=Yes

Everything else metal with neckbreaking fast basslines and attack=**** no.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by NakedBassist
THIS.

The bass playing throughout Cosmogenesis might be the best part of the whole album.

Might be?
Quote by Benjabenja

I was disappointed it wasn't one of the first responses.
the sound of a fretless bass is in direct opposition with alomst everything that springs to mind for me when i think of heavy metal.
however, I'm more into nwobhm than "metal" in the modern sense.
GEAR

ESP LTD F-155 DX BASS
Epiphone Thunderbird bass
Samic cr1 bt bass

Dunlop bass crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Bass Overdrive Pedal
Boss bass chorus
Zoom 607 multy effects pedal

Ashdown 180 watt bass amp
Mega 30 watt

METAL UP 'UR ASSS
Looks like the consensus here is to buy the fretless, and I would agree.
If you like the fretless tone, and you can play it just as well as a fretted, then you should DEFINITELY go for it!
Yeah, I think it can suit metal for sure. That slightly weird fretless tone can make a song sound alot... creepier? It definitely sounds cool in that song linked to up there ^ and the first couple of Opeth albums.

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know what the Primus song is that is mostly fast finger-picked triplets? That video just reminded me of it for some reason. I want to learn it!
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the sound, but you obviously have a lot of examples to go by and to make your choice with.

Obscura's good and all, but the songwriting is lacking- I'd much rather listen to Death with Steve DiGiorgio, who is the father of fretless bass playing in metal, or Cynic with Sean Malone, who is an exemplary artist. It definitely has its place, but I'd be careful. It certainly won't be easy to sound good or fit in well, so keep that in mind. It can be done, and I'm not doubting you, but be sure that's the path you want to take.