I was just wondering what your opinions are on signature basses. Would you go buy one and then play it on stage or with your band. Personally I don't think I would, however I would possibly buy the Nikki Sixx signature T-Bird just because it looks bad ass.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
I wouldn't.

Exceptions being the Stu Hamm sig and the Cort Curbow (does that count?)
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by TrabenBassist22
I was just wondering what your opinions are on signature basses. Would you go buy one and then play it on stage or with your band. Personally I don't think I would, however I would possibly buy the Nikki Sixx signature T-Bird just because it looks bad ass.

hahahahahahahaha the nikki sixx is terrable. its just got an on switch lol

i think signature guitars are overrated, in general
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by primusclaypool1

I know it's nothing special of a bass lol. Like I said i just love the way it looks. Now if it sounded like a Musicman, Didn't have neck dive, and a 3-band active eq, then It would be my bass.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

Quote by primusclaypool1

What about the Steve Vai JEM? Or any of the signature Ibanez line? They play amazingly.

I know it's not a bass, but still.
"MY JESUS COULD KICK BUDDAH'S ASS!"
"OH REALLY? BUDDAH WOULD GET JESUS IN HIS BELLY!"
"Dude we all know Darth Vader is the prominent religious figure."
"Damn nerds."

Ibanez RG370DX
Epiphone G-310
Guitar Reasearch T60R TUBE AMP =]
Quote by primusclaypool1

The Gibson isn't. I know a fair few people who swear by their Geddy sigs. I've got nothing for or against them, if it sounds and plays good and I think it's worth the price (I buy most of my stuff used anyway) I'll go for it.
I'm looking at getting a custom shop with 27+ frets, so I don't think I need to explain why the thunderbird will never be mine.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

more range, why else?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

other than the Fender Steve Bailey signature Jazz (for it being the only Fender 6 string), I wouldn't buy one.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by Fozzie3000
just seems a bit OTT, would that be on a 4 string or be totally ERB and have like 8 strings or something?

would be on a 5 string that I currently thinking about tuning F#C#F#BE (see my thread from a few hours ago) so with 27 frets, I would still have all the high notes of standard tuning and the extra lows at the same time.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

just seen that other thread, wouldn't you need almost subwoofers for that sort of lowness??

either way, sounds kinda cool, hope you have a long enough arm to reach the other end of the neck! haha

i can't actually think of any sig basses that take my fancy, the jp fender one was ok when i played it but then again its "just" a fretless jazz
Quote by Fozzie3000
just seen that other thread, wouldn't you need almost subwoofers for that sort of lowness??

either way, sounds kinda cool, hope you have a long enough arm to reach the other end of the neck! haha

i can't actually think of any sig basses that take my fancy, the jp fender one was ok when i played it but then again its "just" a fretless jazz

probs an 18" cab
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
don't nessaryily (major sp? haha) need a massive speaker cab to re-create depth...alot of hi-fi subwoofers are quite small in fact hence the thought of adding a subwoofer into the rig....sure i read somewhere jean baudin uses one in his set up
It depends on the bass. I think the world of my Fender Geddy Lee signature bass, and the Fender Roscoe Beck looks like a winner (I just wish it wasn't so expensive. Still, I may one day break down and buy one).
Quote by TrabenBassist22

Also, given that your username is TrabenBassist22, you should know that two of Traben's best basses are the John Moyer and the Greg Weeks signature Chaos basses. The Greg Weeks bass looks particularly good. I wish the local shops would get one so I could try it out.
Fender have got their sig basses right.

Urge II, Marcus Miller jazz, geddy lee jazz, roscoe beck bass, reggie hamilton, steve bailey jazz. They all offer something extra to the standard production line and that's how it should be. I completely disagree with basses like most of the ibanez sig bass line where they cut down on features and bump up the price
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
Fender have got most of their sig basses right.

I could do with out the Mike Dirnt, Sting, Frank Bello, Marcus Hoppus.

The Steve Bailey, Marcus Miller, Stu Hamm Urge II, Tony Franklin Sigs are all cool.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by skater dan0

Urge II, Marcus Miller jazz, geddy lee jazz, roscoe beck bass, reggie hamilton, steve bailey jazz. They all offer something extra to the standard production line and that's how it should be. I completely disagree with basses like most of the ibanez sig bass line where they cut down on features and bump up the price

Good call. Steve Bailey Jazz VI! How the hell did I forget that one?
As already commented on, I really like the Geddy Lee sig fender and the Greg Weeks sig traben. That and the bootsy collins sig traben just screams look at me I have a giant penis.
Quote by FatalGear41
you should know that two of Traben's best basses are the John Moyer and the Greg Weeks signature Chaos basses. .

QFT, Love my Havoc, the looks, the way it plays and the sound
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE

DREAM THEATER

THE DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT

SEVENTH WONDER

MUSICMAN BONGO 6HH
EBS REIDMAR

YOUTUBE
TWITTER
TUMBLR
if it got the sounds I wanted for the right price, it is just a signature.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I own a sig model, and I don't like it very much at all..
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
the only one i really like the look of is the stuart zender sig. not played any though..
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by skater dan0

The only thing I would add to this list is the Duck Dunn Sig by Lakland.
I've got 3 signature instruments (well, the third is only a technicality) and I'll just say that it's still an instrument, and my Yamaha RBXJM2 plays perfectly for Prog Rock/Metal. It's like a stingray on fire.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by TrabenBassist22

There are two types of signature basses: The kind that are selling a name alone OR ones that are basses designed by musicians for musicians (Mark Hoppus's bass is between the two.)

Fender, Lakland and Warwick do great signature basses, many agree that the MIA Fender sigs are some of the best non-boutique basses available, ones like the Marcus Miller V. However Epiphone and Ibanez do terrible sigs generally, most of them don't even have tone knobs OR they're just bad because the designer was a bit of an idiot. Sometimes they're just normal basses with different paint jobs, but you have to admit they look badass. E.g. .... the Pete Wentz bass...
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jan 11, 2010,
I personally don't see the point in them. You can buy whatever bass they use (barring the Hoppus because of the body/neck thing it has going on if you're really anal) and just mod it.

My brother has one and it's got one fat neck on it, I really didn't think it was that nice to play considering it was 600GBP.

I can never own a signature model anyway, because I'm left handed. There's only the Brian May signature and the Tim Armstrong sigs that are left/right handed. If I wanted a copy of a signature, I'd have to go to a luthier and pay him to make it for me from scratch, and pay 10 times the price. No thanks, I'll stick with my 200GBP Squier P-bass for now.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

only sigs i would get would be Mike Dirnts P-bass or Tom Araya's.Those 2 are my top 2 picks even tho really the Tom Araya is pretty close to the ESP F series im sure thats the one xD.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Signature Fenders are usually pretty nice, and they don't have stupid inlays or whatever like the Paul Grey ATK or other sig instruments. I don't really care who plays an instrument so long as it sounds and looks good. That said, I'd be all over a Scott Reeder ATK or a Nick Oliveri P.
Most sigs seem to be trash, but i would really like to have one of Jason Newsted's signature Spectors, but I hear they are extremely rare and that he probably owns most of them.
The only one I've played was the Geddy Lee signature Jazz (which I thought was great), bbut I've also heard great things about the Stu Hamm Urge II and the Marcus Miller Jazz.
Quote by FatalGear41
Also, given that your username is TrabenBassist22, you should know that two of Traben's best basses are the John Moyer and the Greg Weeks signature Chaos basses. The Greg Weeks bass looks particularly good. I wish the local shops would get one so I could try it out.

I've gotten the chance to play a Havoc and it is a very nice bass. Now that I think of it I would probably get that if I had the money. I havent had a chance to play the Greg Weeks bass. I would like to play one but I'm more of a 5 string guy.