UG, I'm a beginner that's been playing off and on for the past 6 months and I cannot for the life of me get B string to ring when I try to play barre chords. I've tried different things like rolling my index over a little so that its more on the side than the palm, etc. but I can't get anything to work. Can someone give me some tips?
not much 2 say here...try lower action, press hard with your thumb on the back of the neck for more support, this is like a practice makes perfect kind of thing :O gl
"Wipe ur lip, I see some ass on there..."

"A guitar is only good in the hands of a good guitarist...unless it's a REALLY sexy guitar..."
It just takes practice. Some people have a lot more trouble with barre chords than other people. Try doing a barre higher up on the neck (about the 10th fret or so). It's easier there than closer to the nut.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Which form? Like an E major raised? So with a barre at the 3rd fret it would be a G major?

e| 3
B| 3
G| 4
D| 5
A| 5
E| 3

First thing you should do is practice playing that form open, as an E.
Play it without your index finger. Just middle, ring, and pinky.
Play it that way repeatedly in chord progressions with other chords.
You need to be able to play it effortlessly without even thinking about it.

Make sure that you play close behind the frets. Not in the midpoint between them.
This takes less effort.

Sound great each time, every time?
Okay. Now you're ready to move on to using it as a barre chord.
You don't need to waste any time thinking about what's happening on the A, D, and G strings.
That part is already solid. Just add the barre.
Move into position with your middle, ring, and pinky on the appropriate strings/frets.
Make sure you're close behind the fret on each string.
Now lay your index across the strings just behind the 3rd fret.
Remember, you only need to work the E, B, and e strings. The other fingers have the A, D, and G.
Try moving your index so tip just barely gets to the E string. Do you still have a problem with the B string not sounding? Try moving your index over so the tip extends past the E string. Does the B ring out now? No? Move your index even farther, so the tip is well beyond the fretboard. Somewhere along the line you'll find a place where the shape of your finger naturally contours to hold down the E, B, and e strings.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Which form? Like an E major raised? So with a barre at the 3rd fret it would be a G major?

e| 3
B| 3
G| 4
D| 5
A| 5
E| 3

First thing you should do is practice playing that form open, as an E.
Play it without your index finger. Just middle, ring, and pinky.
Play it that way repeatedly in chord progressions with other chords.
You need to be able to play it effortlessly without even thinking about it.

Make sure that you play close behind the frets. Not in the midpoint between them.
This takes less effort.

Sound great each time, every time?
Okay. Now you're ready to move on to using it as a barre chord.
You don't need to waste any time thinking about what's happening on the A, D, and G strings.
That part is already solid. Just add the barre.
Move into position with your middle, ring, and pinky on the appropriate strings/frets.
Make sure you're close behind the fret on each string.
Now lay your index across the strings just behind the 3rd fret.
Remember, you only need to work the E, B, and e strings. The other fingers have the A, D, and G.
Try moving your index so tip just barely gets to the E string. Do you still have a problem with the B string not sounding? Try moving your index over so the tip extends past the E string. Does the B ring out now? No? Move your index even farther, so the tip is well beyond the fretboard. Somewhere along the line you'll find a place where the shape of your finger naturally contours to hold down the E, B, and e strings.

Thanks, I'll try this out. Actually the part where you said to just barely hit the E I think helped. Do you think theres something I should do if I have long fingers or anything?