What the heck is this thread?!?!11!one!1?

It has been brought to our attention - to the mods of A&CG - that you, the lurkers, who are the (often) more intellectual breed who dwell within ultimate-guitar.com, want some more stimulating and thought provoking discussions.

Well here's your chance, A&CG forum!

Okay... So what do you want?

This is The Ideas Thread. Post your discussion topics which you want to explore in here. They can be questions, statements, or rants(It can't be you just hatin' on things. You need good reasons to back up your statements, as well as a lighthearted candour. Don't take things too seriously!)

Why is something the way it is? What's the latest development in endangered woods and what are companies doing about it? Who are some luthiers who make kickass guitars but don't get a lot of exposure? Write about your favourite guitar of all time. Talk about some guitarists. Want to share what you're GASing for? Anything related to acoustic guitars, guitar culture, guitar building, guitar concerts... anything!

How is this going to work?

This thread is just the beginning. Once we compile enough great ideas from you, the people, we will be opening a "Discussion of the _______(We haven't quite decided on a regular time frame yet. It might be weekly or biweekly depending on how many good topics we get.)"

We'll be choosing your ideas and asking of a small commitment from you--whoever submitted the discussion topic--to open up a thread on your discussion topic whenever(The logistics of who does what topic when still needs to be worked out). It will then be stickied for whatever period of time(TBD later at this moment in time).

The topic threads will be compiled into a "Discussion of the _________ Thread" and archived as we go along so that we'll have some great topics to rummage through by the end.

You closed the A&C Chat thread! I hate you!

Don't worry, we'll have that thread back up at a later date. It's just that we would like you guys to focus on this for now so that we can get some great ideas going quickly.

Well forum, let's get to it!
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Awesome!

Ok, so as for topics, I'd love to have a thread about live sound for an acoustic. For instance, the pros and cons of piezo pickups/built in electronics versus aftermarket electronics and microphones. Are in-guitar mics more effective than piezos, or is a combination of both the most convinient way to get good live sound as a more mobile and easy-to-use alternative to external mics?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by captivate
Once we compile enough great ideas from you, the regulars...

What about all of the irregulars?

We must have a lighthearted "I hate this brand because ___" argument. That would be so much fun.
This is a great idea Cap! Definitely going to be nice to have some thought provoking acoustic chat for once!

Anywho, there are so many areas we could cover. In depth chat about particular wood types and why different woods create different tones, the rarest of the rare woods in the world (Hint: "The Tree", most beautiful mahogany any luthier has ever seen, legend amongst guitar makers), and something like how to create an acoustic friendly environment in your own room to generate the best possible sound witout breaking the bank.

How do we go about doing this? Do we select a topic we would like to discuss, and then roll with it or what?
Last edited by Silverstein14 at Jan 11, 2010,
Quote by GC Shred Off
What about all of the irregulars?

We must have a lighthearted "I hate this brand because ___" argument. That would be so much fun.

Okay, I've changed my original post a bit.

Quote by Silverstein14
This is a great idea Cap! Definitely going to be nice to have some thought provoking acoustic chat for once!

Anywho, there are so many areas we could cover. In depth chat about particular wood types and why different woods create different tones, the rarest of the rare woods in the world (Hint: "The Tree", most beautiful mahogany any luthier has ever seen, legend amongst guitar makers), and something like how to create an acoustic friendly environment in your own room to generate the best possible sound witout breaking the bank.

How do we go about doing this? Do we select a topic we would like to discuss, and then roll with it or what?

So basically, if we pick your idea, you'll be leading a discussion for one session. You'll just post your discussion topic/thought and we'll run with it and post what we think/know about the topic. Sharing the knowledge is the name of the game.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
It has been brought to our attention - to the mods of A&CG - that you, the lurkers, and (often) more intellectual breed who dwell within ultimate-guitar.com, want some more stimulating and thought provoking discussions.

Quote by captivate
Okay, I've changed my original post a bit.

Except for that little grammar error there

Might I suggest "Inhabitants of A&C" as well? Not to be nitpicky or anything though
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Damn I was actually going to post something that wasn't spam in the chat thread!

We definitely need to discuss acoustic guitar recording.
what do I do now?

why isn't wenge used in acoustic guitars?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Guitar Care FAQ (and maybe other non-FAQs)?

Problem: "my action is too high blah blah blah"
Answer/Solution: "take it to the shop"

Problem: "I want a flashy guitar"
Answer: "Bad value for the money"

something along these lines.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Along the lines of what Natrone suggested, it'd be sweet to get some run downs of famous people's live aimplified acoustic tones and the equipment in their chain. There are a ton of country artists whose acoustic live sound is just pristine and it'd be nice to have them as a reference for what the current top notch gear in that area is.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
^Actually I said that as a reference to the crappy sounding live sound I heard at the Brad Paisley concert I went to on Saturday (ironic, eh? Brad Paisley concert on a Saturday night ). The guitars sounded ok as far as tone goes to an extent, but Brad's especially just sounded far too boomy to be considered good live acoustic tone. It didn't sound natural enough really. On the other hand, at the Relient K concert I went to the acoustic tone really was amazing.

Perhaps we could do a topic on the merits of handbuilt vs. assembly built guitars. I would find the pros/cons on that quite interesting.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
i'm ready to discuss these right now

in fact, i can't hold back - wenge is used in acoustic guitars:
http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=+Backs+and+Sides&NameProdHeader=Wenge

Quote by the humanity
why isn't wenge used in acoustic guitars?

Quote by Natrone
Perhaps we could do a topic on the merits of handbuilt vs. assembly built guitars. I would find the pros/cons on that quite interesting.
This is absolutely brilliant.

I definitely think a topic on taking non-acoustic songs (hardcore, heavy metal, hip-hop, punk, etc) and covering them acoustically would be pretty sick. I do it all the time, and it's loads of fun.
Quote by eterom11
Yes, it is then!

You are truly a god among men.

Quote by Pancakehead
Dear Scribbllez I Googled it my good sir,
A hearty lol it did stir.

Ending Autumn
Just a reminder guys. The topics you list will be discussions facilitated by you! So make sure you know at least a decent amount about the topic so you can share/create more good discussions.
Equipment:

I vote to start mine off with a more basic, but still troublesome topic, and that is "String changing and tuning up". I've seen so many threads related to poor restring jobs, slippage then others on how to tune. The one that sticks in my mind recently is about the guy who used a capo to downtune to C?!?! Weird but totally pointless. So it'd be a basic breakdown of how to go about changing strings on an acoustic then getting the axe back up and singing.
OH yea, Hi again everybody! lol
this seems like a winner to me - not that the others don't, but i see so many threads about people having trouble changing strings.

Quote by LeftyDave
I vote to start mine off with a more basic, but still troublesome topic, and that is "String changing and tuning up". I've seen so many threads related to poor restring jobs, slippage then others on how to tune. The one that sticks in my mind recently is about the guy who used a capo to downtune to C?!?! Weird but totally pointless. So it'd be a basic breakdown of how to go about changing strings on an acoustic then getting the axe back up and singing.
Quote by LeftyDave

You're alive! Good to see you around Dave.

I actually have a topic of my own that has been swimming around my head for a while.

Generally, I regard laminate as... well... often inferior. But why...?

A few weeks ago, I started looking into acoustic basses and found it quite surprising how many of them were made of all laminate as opposed to solid wood. Even some of the high end ones were all laminate, but were still said to sound very good.

This got me thinking... Why is laminate inferior to solid wood in acoustic guitars? Why is it okay for the purpose of acoustic bass guitars though? Both are driven by the same operating principle, so what makes them different?

i have my own answer already, but I'll save it until later.
Equipment:

I had a temporary internet problem. I didn't have any internet, THAT was the problem! haha
Last edited by LeftyDave at Jan 13, 2010,
Interesting thought Cap. Definately looking forward to hearing more about that.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Lol. failed troll
Equipment:

if the problem with lams is resonance, the reason I'd say the bass would have a much stronger vibration, forcing it to resonate about the same amount regardless, the only difference being the way the top end is pushed though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by captivate

You closed the A&C Chat thread! I hate you!

Haha.

Anyway, how about picking what songs to play in front of people? You should really think about the songs you are playing, you are there to entertain the people, mostly anyway.

Case and point, me and my co-worker performed on our Christmas party. I sang and played acoustic, and he played bass. The setlist was:

Muse - Can't Take My Eyes Off You
John Mayer - Why Georgia
The Calling - Wherever You Will Go
Allison Krauss - Baby, Now That I Found You
Tom Petty - Free Fallin'

But our audience was our 30, 50+ year old co-workers. Let's just say they did not know almost ANY of our songs. (Maybe except for a Muse cover, which is an oldie.) They don't even know who John Mayer is.

But yeah, let this be a lesson to all of y'all.

PS: So we can't spam the A&C Chat Thread anymore? T___T
Gear
Fender Hotrod Deville 2x12
Fender MIM Strat | Epi Dot 335
Fulltone '69 mkii | Boss OD-1
'95 RAT2 | '78 IC Big Muff | DL4
Last edited by ZeroChan at Jan 16, 2010,
Lets discuss which guitar is best for beating over the heads of crappy metal bands!!

i'd go with a good solid Cedar Classical. Preferably a poorly made one with heavy bracing
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Excuse me for being a bit of a 'naysayer' but I think the main reason we dont have enough intelectual stimulation here on UG is because the very idea of UG, i.e. more people who are NEW to guitar/UG, or dont have a great deal of guitar based knowledge & thats why they are here. To learn!!!! even if it starts by looking on the web for tabs & finding UG (as it is one of the best tab sites on the net) then expanding their data knowledge. In the 4 years i have been a member of UG I have learnt 2 things of my fellow UG-ers they are to lazy to either Google or use the UG search facility. How many thousand times are the same Q's comming up that a search could fix. Oh well long & short I think its a good idea but implementation might be a prob so it doesnt turn into which guitar shoud i buy or my strings sound funny thread LOL
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Jan 17, 2010,
Quote by Dix_Fix
Oh well long & short I think its a good idea but implementation might be a prob so it doesnt turn into which guitar shoud i buy or my strings sound funny thread LOL

I don't know if you fully understand what this thread is about. We, the users, get to pitch our ideas about topics we want to discuss, so for example, I suggested exotic woods. If that got chosen for the week, I get to lead a post on it and that's strictly what we talk about. Im not sure how this could possibly turn into "what guitar should I buy" or anything like that, as the topics are chosen by the mods and supervised by them too.
We sould have a "hate that you love it" discussion

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by ZeroChan
Haha.

Anyway, how about picking what songs to play in front of people? You should really think about the songs you are playing, you are there to entertain the people, mostly anyway.

Case and point, me and my co-worker performed on our Christmas party. I sang and played acoustic, and he played bass. The setlist was:

Muse - Can't Take My Eyes Off You
John Mayer - Why Georgia
The Calling - Wherever You Will Go
Allison Krauss - Baby, Now That I Found You
Tom Petty - Free Fallin'

But our audience was our 30, 50+ year old co-workers. Let's just say they did not know almost ANY of our songs. (Maybe except for a Muse cover, which is an oldie.) They don't even know who John Mayer is.

But yeah, let this be a lesson to all of y'all.

PS: So we can't spam the A&C Chat Thread anymore? T___T

You have to go with country or oldies. Everyone knows those! Good choice on Free Fallin' btw, I love Mayers cover!
Quote by Scribbllez
This is absolutely brilliant.

I definitely think a topic on taking non-acoustic songs (hardcore, heavy metal, hip-hop, punk, etc) and covering them acoustically would be pretty sick. I do it all the time, and it's loads of fun.

Funny you'd mention that, because I've been working on a solo acoustic pop/fingerstyle version of Kanye West's Paranoid for quite awhile now:

The Original
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Kartman
Funny you'd mention that, because I've been working on a solo acoustic pop/fingerstyle version of Kanye West's Paranoid for quite awhile now:

The Original

You can't deny it's extremely fun to do.

EDIT: I've been working on BYOB by system of a down for a little while, have almost every part except for the "WHERE THE F*CK ARE YOUUUU" breakdown. There's almost no effective way to turn that into an acoustic part without it ruining all the fun of it.
Quote by eterom11
Yes, it is then!

You are truly a god among men.

Quote by Pancakehead
Dear Scribbllez I Googled it my good sir,
A hearty lol it did stir.

Ending Autumn
Last edited by Scribbllez at Mar 2, 2010,
^

Honestly, there are some songs I thought could never have been made into solid solo acoustic arrangements, but this triumphs all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmfZXZronW8&feature=related

It's an acoustic cover of Radiohead's Kid A, probably one of the most electronically-driven songs they've recorded. You've got to have a lot of creativity to pull off something like this in my book.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I have a good topic!

Body styles and sizes. More emphasis on the size variation from company to company and what you like best etc.

I actually made a spread sheet today and found out that the A&L dreads are much smaller than reg sized ones. That explains why I find my Garrison awkward but love the A&L.
Iiiinnnntteeerrreeessstttiiinnngggg.........I definitely want to see that one.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Iiiinnnntteeerrreeessstttiiinnngggg.........I definitely want to see that one.

I was surprised at what I found :| A&L, Seagull et al. ... all just short of full scale 25.