Page 1 of 2
I have to do a big history project for my Leaving Cert exam (biggest exam of Irish peoples' lives). I really wanted to do it on Les Paul, because he's in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame as well as the Inventor's Hall of Fame and he really did contribute a lot to music.

But I just thought of Leo Fender. Did he contribute more? Which would you say was more important to modern music?
Quote by chaoticfables
Les was an innovator in not only guitar but also in terms of recording.

Are the people in your sig perma-banned?

I have a feeling this will either be a long, heated, and very interesting thread, or be closed soon.

Les Paul invented multitrack recording, and the solid body guitar.
I think...
Yksinään hän vaeltaa mis' varjot lankeaa
Halki usvan ja roudan vain teräs seuranaan
Sydämensä kylmä on kuin maa routainen
Mutta silmissään viha polttava kuin kiuas tulinen
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
Are the people in your sig perma-banned?

I think so.

OT: I have no clue
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Well, Leo invented the bass guitar, the most sexiest instrument ever devised.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Les gave us multi-track recording, the synthesizer, and some other cool stuff.

Leo gave us the solidbody electric and amplifiers for all the stuff Les made, basically.

I was under the impression Les did the bass, but you guys are saying otherwise. Not sure about that one, now.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jan 10, 2010,
I say Les, because I don't like Fenders lol
But Leo did create the bass guitar.
Hm. Toughy my friend.

EDIT:

\/ QFT.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Last edited by Rojam at Jan 10, 2010,
Leo, he didn't sell out.
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech Artist Series Dan Donegan 'The Weapon'
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider 3 30 Watt Modeling Amp
Quote by Sid McCall
Les gave us multi-track recording, the synthesizer, the bass, and some other cool stuff.

Leo gave us the solidbody electric and amplifiers for all the stuff Les made, basically.

Nuh unh.
Quote by Foxy Roxy
Leo, he didn't sell out.

How so? They both have their names on guitars. Ever heard of G&L?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Les helped make an iconic guitar, and furthered recording as we know it, however, Leo Fender was an innovator of the solidbody electric guitar.
Leo, as was stated before Les=sellout; While he was still alive, he watched the downfall of his namesake's quality and made no public outcry; While leo was alive, Fender's quality was superb, but it is now subpar with his passing.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
Last edited by parigod at Jan 10, 2010,
Les Paul invented the ****ing electric guitar

/thread
Quote by brandon369852
lolworthy- classicrockboy WIN of thread.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera
Check out my songs for it

Currently e-single. Hit me up ladies
Les Paul invented ears to which people can hear.
He then advanced the subject of hearing by inventing jazz in the early 1800s.
Les Paul donated his toe nail clippings to some young musicians in order to help them in later life. Those people were Eric Clapton, Elvis and Alexei Sayles (They can't all be winners)
Les Paul swallowed the pick of destiny as a youth.
Les Paul wrote all of the Beatles music.

Leo only shortened a double bass by 20 inches and gave it frets.
Quote by Sid McCall
How so? They both have their names on guitars. Ever heard of G&L?

Quote by parigod
Leo, as was stated before Les=sellout; While he was still alive, he watched the downfall of his namesake's quality and made no public outcry; While leo was alive, Fender's quality was superb, but it is now subpar with his passing.

This.
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech Artist Series Dan Donegan 'The Weapon'
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider 3 30 Watt Modeling Amp
Quote by Casketcreep
Les Paul invented ears to which people can hear.
He then advanced the subject of hearing by inventing jazz in the early 1800s.
Les Paul donated his toe nail clippings to some young musicians in order to help them in later life. Those people were Eric Clapton, Elvis and Alexei Sayles (They can't all be winners)
Les Paul swallowed the pick of destiny as a youth.
Les Paul wrote all of the Beatles music.

Leo only shortened a double bass by 20 inches and gave it frets.

At least Leo's accomplishment is real.
Quote by classicrockboy
Les Paul invented the ****ing electric guitar

/thread

imma go with this guy...leo stole his idea. lol. i have no clue really.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by flanders_91

Don't, because he is wrong.

Also, I'd go with Les, bacause of the following:
He did invent the Les Paul (but not the electric guitar)
He did invent all that other stuff (multitrack recording and whatnot)
Leo didn't actually know how to play the guitar (although he was one of it's greatest innovators)
Leo worked closely with other people, so to tell an accurate story about Leo it would probably end up being overly convoluted with other names.
Quote by flanders_91

les didnt invent the electric guitar or even the solid body electric. those were actually around before les's inventions but his were he ones that became popular. but he did a lot for music.

leo gave rise to the bass guitar. im not if it was actually him who had the idea, but it came from his company. plus the strat was pretty ahead of its time.

honestly, i think both would be a good choice.
I think I'll go with Les because of the multitrack recording job. Because if you can do a project on the Beatles then you can deffinitely do it on the dude who invented the technology they needed to make that music.

Before multitrack did the whole band have to crowd around one microphone?
Quote by parigod

+1
YNWA
Les Paul once said that his secret to success was making the music that people wanted to hear. WHAT A SELL OUT.

On a more serious note, why not base your project on both of them? They shaped the electric guitar, and modern music, more than anyone, apart from maybe the Beatles (although they might be on par).

And I don't think either of them invented the electric BASS, but Leo definitely invented the electric BASS GUITAR. I'm quite sure of that anyway. There was attempts in the 30's to electrify an upright bass, but it was Fender who made a bass guitar, making it more portable, and easier to play because it had frets.

(hence the name "precision bass" = more precise intonation due to frets)

EDIT: Seriously, I think a project comparing them would be a good idea, cos they're so different, but each achieved great things. Leo was an engineer, but not a musician. Les was a musician, but not an engineer. Both made huge innovations.
Last edited by sashki at Feb 3, 2010,

Hai guiyz wuts goin on in dis thred lol?

I wanna say Leo, but Les is really, really important.

The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
i say eeney meeney miney moe

they were both kinda equally productive to the industry IMO
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Last edited by bass-man9712 at Feb 3, 2010,
Quote by Icarus Lives
Before multitrack did the whole band have to crowd around one microphone?

I might be wrong, but I think they still had mixers back then.
Try to start your work with either one and see which one goes easier, in terms of writing an introduction (including how many ideas pop into your head regarding further parts of the text), research etc

Then decide.
I'm going in;

Rambo style
I read somewhere that the only contribution Les Paul made to the guitar that bears his name was he decided what type of bridge to be used and that Gibson only called it the Les Paul in order to cash in on the name of a big star at the time.
Quote by rpd
I read somewhere that the only contribution Les Paul made to the guitar that bears his name was he decided what type of bridge to be used and that Gibson only called it the Les Paul in order to cash in on the name of a big star at the time.

I've heard that too.

And they also put the bridge on upside down, so the strings went under it, rather than over it. But by the time Les Paul actually got one of the guitars, they'd made a hundered or so of them.
They then switched to the wraparound bridge/tailpiece.

He also decided on the original colours: black and gold. But that was it. Shame more people remember the guitar than his own inventions.
Quote by MattMez
Didn't Les Paul record the first guitar solo?

I would have put that to Django Rheindhart, and even then I don't think he was first. But he did it before Les Paul.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
I say Leo. he created he first mass-producted electric guitar, the first mass-producted amp and the first electric bass. yeah, lp did create the first electric guitar, but if it werent for leo, gibson wouldnt of bought his idea, electric basses and amps might not exist, and electric guitars would be rare or really expensive. Leo's idea was to provide quality instruments for less, even now, thats why you can get a standard strat or tele for $350 while an LP would cost you about $1,000+. LP just made one guitar design, the lp, while leo created many which are still famous today, the strat, tele, jaguar, mustang, jazzmaster, and various others. And i think he also made the first tube amp.
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by xyz66 at Feb 3, 2010,
Page 1 of 2