Hey, since I don't have an 8 channel interface or anything yet, I need to record off of my mixer. Problem is, is that I tried to today, and could hardly get any signal off of it. I got enough to be heard once I amplified my recording a bunch of times, but then there was a loud annoying humming that almost overpowered everything else. Am I doing something wrong? I'm going from the RCA tape out on the mixer to my line in on the interface with a dual RCA to 1/4 cable like the one pictured.

are you using a powered mixer? of not then you need to run it through a preamp to bring it up to line level.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
are you using a powered mixer? of not then you need to run it through a preamp to bring it up to line level.

Well, I don't really know, I'm borrowing it, so I know nothing about it. I know it has a power cord and it says it's 25 watts. You think this preamp would work well enough?
a powered mixer wont make a difference.

what kind of mixer do you have? can you not go out of the mixer's main out to your interface?
Quote by sandyman323
a powered mixer wont make a difference.

yes it will, some unpowered mixers can't even get up to line level, which doesn in fact make a huge difference.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yes it will, some unpowered mixers can't even get up to line level, which doesn in fact make a huge difference.

i stand corrected.

all the mixer's i've worked with, and the one i own, have all at least had line level outputs. of course i haven't tried them all. i have learned something new

EDIT: after further thought.... If an unpowered mixer cant get up to line level, it would have to be pretty much 100% passive right? meaning no power chord, preamps, headphone out, or active eq, which are found on most (if not every) small (and probably large) mixer. basically all it would be able to do is turn an already line level signal down to mic level (DI box anyone?)

could you give me an example of one you're talking about? i could very easily be wrong in my thinking here, and i would love to get this all straight in my head.
Last edited by sandyman323 at Jan 11, 2010,
yeah, there do exist passive mixers, I've used them in synth set ups, that isn't this guys problem though, honestly I don't know what the issue is and would probably have to troubleshoot the mixer to find out.

Last.fm
It looks like you're using the wrong line-out on the mixer. You should be using the line-out for the mains, or the monitors.......or even the ALT3/4 if you want to be able to select individual channels to send to the interface.
Quote by Afterhours
It looks like you're using the wrong line-out on the mixer. You should be using the line-out for the mains, or the monitors.......or even the ALT3/4 if you want to be able to select individual channels to send to the interface.

Do you think the 1/4 headphone jack work instead of the main out? I've only got two XLR cables, and they're both needed for the two mics.
You should be able to run a 1/4 jack from the mixer's monitor-out (or ALT3/4-out) into the interface in.

What kind of mixer (Brand/model) and what kind of interface are you using?
Quote by Afterhours
You should be able to run a 1/4 jack from the mixer's monitor-out (or ALT3/4-out) into the interface in.

What kind of mixer (Brand/model) and what kind of interface are you using?

The mixer is a JBL EON Music Mix 10. The interface is a Lexicon Alpha Pro.
I looked at the specs.....the headphone 1/4 out should work. Plus it has it's own level control. You should be able to easily adjust your line signal going into the Lexicon interface.