I'll post Pics tomorrow- but here's the deal.

My best friend's sister had this guitar a few years back, and it was busted up, in a corner. I took a look at it and asked if I could have it. I paid 5 dollars for this thing, and took it home immediately.

After I got home, I realized just /how/ old this thing was. In my rush to experiment, I sanded off a little, realized it was in /awful/ condition, and started spray painting. Wrong way to go about things- yes. Was I naive? Indeed.

So now I'm redoing this, a little bit wiser, and I have a few questions, as far as design goes.

There are so really bad cracks in the sides, some going through into the inside. It's an acoustic electric- and doesn't appear to have ever had bracers in the inside, so it's seen better days.

Question 1- Would using drywall, post sanding, effectively fill in the cracks and make it stable enough for play, given I repaint and polyurethane it afterward?

Question 2- Would opening the sound hole more than it is increase the volume of the guitar?

Question 3- What is the best way to set up a humbucker pickup in an acoustic electric guitar?

Question 3.A- Given I use a newer humbucker, would the pot controls still work alright with them, given I figure out what is what?

Question 3.B- Would it just be better to get a newer electronic set up for it?

and finally

Question 4- Are there any guides anyone knows of that effectively describes how to create a burst effect in finish? I've seen some on the net, but they aren't detailed enough.
Pics pics pics pics pics.
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
Shit, sorry man, I need to find my camera. give me maybe 10 to 20 minutes and I'll probably have a few : D
Alrighty, here we are with a few pics

The inside of the body
(Invalid img)

The back of the body
Some obvious sanding needed, as well as an old bit of primer still there
http://cameroid.com/t/d50783237d94b136cb74d7b51afd0242

The front piece...s
I'm assuming this is some kind of compressed fiber board, but I could be wrong
(Invalid img)

Electronics from... the.. 60s? XD
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)

It's gonna take work, but I'm hard at it.
Good luck mate, I've got a similar Danelectro that I want to do something with, how did you get the front off the guitar?
I'll be watching this one, keep us updated!
It's just a drop in the biggest ocean I know I've ever seen
And in a moment it's big enough to drown the whole world...
From the look of that front pic you'd be best of just remaking one for it?
Say no to drugs, but drink is good...
Remake the front, that thing is dead.

What state is the neck in?
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
well that seems to be a convertible model.

soI'd say just mount the humbucker in the sound hole like the original lipstick was. However there is one problem. Dano lipsticks are very long compared to your average pickup.

However if you are making a new top (which you should) then this won't be a problem because you can accomodate your pickup.

It will just wire up like the single coil did (assuming it is 2 conductor)

however you may want to replace all the electronics.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
I Think I'm not only going to replace the top, but I might fill the cavity, too, effectively making it a solid body. Only because the fiber board (which has already obviously broken) frightens me slightly.

And I think I might just use steel wool to remove the rust from the older electronics, replace the wires for better gauge and much better conductivity, and make a chop shop out of the back for the wiring.

Edit: As for right now, however, I'm rebuilding the top out of what I have left of it, some spackle, some wood glue, and a whole lot of determination.
Quote by Jokolono
Good luck mate, I've got a similar Danelectro that I want to do something with, how did you get the front off the guitar?
I'll be watching this one, keep us updated!

Hate to double post on my own thread, but here's a simple explanation:

When I first got it, it was broken into. Like, harsh. Looked like somebody got pissed and kicked it.

After I repaired it to the best of my ability the first time, it again suffered damages.

This time, I'm not messing around with this as just some "game", I'm going all out to fix this up and make it decent, so I got angry and ripped it off this time, and thankfully didn't damage anything (that wasn't already ruined) at all.
Quote by Gh057
I Think I'm not only going to replace the top, but I might fill the cavity, too, effectively making it a solid body. Only because the fiber board (which has already obviously broken) frightens me slightly.

And I think I might just use steel wool to remove the rust from the older electronics, replace the wires for better gauge and much better conductivity, and make a chop shop out of the back for the wiring.

Edit: As for right now, however, I'm rebuilding the top out of what I have left of it, some spackle, some wood glue, and a whole lot of determination.

no! keep it a hollow body. for the love of God keep it a hollow body. If you fill in the cavity AND make a new top, you might as well just build a new body...

plus the glory of the convertible is that its a hollow body.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

Okay, okay- I'll stick with the hollow body- the fiber board just scares me.

Like, honestly, you know that cardboard stuff most TV stands come with that you have to nail into the back? That's what this stuff is... just like, 3 of them compressed together.
yep, thats dano's for you. But if its sturdy enough for Tom Waits to jump off a chair with it in hand, its sturdy enough for you.

Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

You sir, are correct. Alright, so, I've got a decent idea of how I'm going to set this up. I'm going to attempt to rebuild the top, if all else fails, I build one from scratch. pics in a few of the current state of things
okay, sounds good. if you end up building it from scratch, feel free to send the old body my way

really though, I'm quite interested in this. I me some Dano's
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.