i have a question about my acoustic guitar, it sounds amazing, but plays horribly, the action is really high, and i am not sure how to adjust this correctly
Schecter Omen 6 Diamond Series
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Standard Strat
Too Many Pedals To List
Line 6 Spider III (I was young and stupid
)
i dont know if the schecter is bad action, i apologize, and thank u will do
Schecter Omen 6 Diamond Series
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Standard Strat
Too Many Pedals To List
Line 6 Spider III (I was young and stupid
)
Sand down the bridge saddle and/or nut?
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Before you sand anything, I got me a few questions to ask you.
1. What guitar is it?
2. Does the guitar have a truss rod?
3. What gauge are the strings?
4. Is your neck bowed? You can check by sighting down the neck and/or laying a straightedge down the neck.
5. What is the action height at frets 1, 7 and 12?
There is a happy medium to string height, or action. High enough to fret easily, but without impacting intonation. Very high action tends to knock the guitar completely out of tune should you capo.

I like my action fairly high, and I think I have noticed that raising action increases volume and improves tone. It almost makes most other guitarist leave my guitar alone.

I do think string gauge impacts tone as well. I will not use light gauge strings, as years of heavy pick attack makes lights tremble and cower under my hands. I recently purchased a used Goodall Standard that sounded good with the light gauge strings that came on it. But when I put mediums on it, it sounded great. Great is almost always better than good.

Shaving braces is a dangerous thing, and best left in the hands of conservative and trusted luthiers.
Is any of that even relevent?

I don't see how higher action can give you more volume and an increase in tone, all it would do is make the guitar harder to play, the other guitarists leave it alone because it plays like crap.
Quote by guitarcam123

I don't see how higher action can give you more volume and an increase in tone, all it would do is make the guitar harder to play, the other guitarists leave it alone because it plays like crap.

Higher action = more space for strings to vibrate = greater amplitude of the wave in the string = higher volume.

As for tone, IDK.

And "plays like crap" is relevant. I enjoy playing slightly higher action, it gives me a fuller sound when playing open chords. Yes, it is harder to solo, but I don't do much of that anyways. I'm pretty certain a metalhead lead guitarist wouldn't enjoy playing my guitar, and would tell you it plays like crap simply because of my higher action.

===

TS: as has been said, you can do one of two things: sand down the bottom of the saddle, or re-bridge with a shorter bridge (not reccomended.)
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Last edited by Copaman at Jan 11, 2010,
I guess its just a matter of personal opinion then, cause my dad's acoustic has high action and I never touch it cause, basically, it plays like crap. I hate high action, I'd rather be able to play the guitar better and have it sound less fuller then have a guitar with high action that I can barely play with a fuller sound.

Also, TS I wouldn't recommend sanding anything down yet. Your neck may be bowed or warped and sanding down the nut or the saddle could make it worse, that's why I had the list of questions so that I/ anyone else can help you with the playability.
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Jan 11, 2010,