When I play a series of fast notes on more than one string (e.g. the series of 16th notes in solo to Fade To Black by Metallica) I try not to let notes ring, so I release the note with my fret hand as soon as I pick it. However, this causes the string to vibrate as if I am doing a pull-off (especially when I am bending). What am I doing wrong? Does anyone have any advice or know any techniques that would help?
Thank you.
-angle your pick
-use only the tip of your pick
-don't pick harder than necessary (which in most cases is pretty light for "fast solos")

Also, what string gauge are you using, and in what tuning? It's possible your strings are too floppy.
Use your picking hand, and fretting hand to mute the strings...there's alot of videos on youtube that explains this
Also, what string gauge are you using, and in what tuning? It's possible your strings are too floppy.

I'm not sure the gauge, but its in standard tuning.

You release the note? Like in, you let the string go as if you pull off to an open note?
Because you should keep you finger on the string, just not fretted.. :p

I try doing that with some songs. But with others, the lessons I watch tell me to release my finger so I can fret on other strings.
Quote by fixationdarknes
-angle your pick
-use only the tip of your pick
-don't pick harder than necessary (which in most cases is pretty light for "fast solos")

I've noticed that the 'light' picking comes very naturally. When you're playing slow, I think you should hit the strings with moderate power behind it. Don't just flop the pick over the strings.