Ok, so this is what's going down. My Line 6 Spider 2, it's pretty much kaput. So I need a new amp.. So, the guitar I have now is a Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 Vintage White, with Seymour Duncan Blackouts, and I don't have any pedals. I play mostly metal, but I do like versatility and I have another guitar for clean tones. I liked my Spider 2 but it's not really top notch, it's pretty much the cheap mans solution, and doesn't sound as good as I would like. So should I get a new Spider 4 150w or a Marshall half-stack MG412B + MG100HFX??? The Marshall is more, and I'm already killing my wallet with this... So I want to know, is it worth the extra 200 or so for the Marshall? I hear Marshall is amazing but is it just a famous name like Fender or Gibson, where you have to get a high end model for the difference to matter? Any input would be great, and yes it's just between these 2, I'm not looking into any other brands.
What is your budget? The Spider 4 is pretty bad, as is the MG. The MG isnt a 'real' Marshall as such, Marshall are famous for their tube amps, and the MG is basically a big practice amp.
Look into Bugera, they are decent amps, and are pretty cheap too.
If you're on a budget, check out the Peavey Vypyr series amps. It's tone destroys both of the other amps put together, and it is very versatile.

EDIT: Bugera is great too.

(^ the end of the world)
I would imagine that Marshall setup you are thinking about would cost a pretty penny. That being said if I were going to get something brand new by one of those two manufacturers then I would look at the Line 6 Spider Valve MKII. That just my thought between those two in a decent price range for a brand new amp. You could look at used amps by both of those names and find great products like the Vetta or a vintage tube amp from Marshall. This is up to you though.
The MGs are horrible and the spiders are just meh. I recently got the 6505+ 112 combo for $550. its mainly an amp for metal and its all tube and its all awesome. I know you said u werent looking for other brands but, line 6 spider anything isnt an improvment and the MGs in my opinion sound thin and powerless. Id go with phil on this one if ur not looking for all tube, the vypers have 6505 setting iirc. .02
Well that definitely helps a little. My budget is around 500, 650 max before tax and stuff. I'm gonna look into the Peavy, but is there anything else you recommend? Like I said, I have NO PEDALS so I need something that has built in effects but if there is nothing you would recommend that has good effects then recommend a sick pedal or switchboard please!! Like I said I play metal to clean to alternative rock.

Mostly Metallica
Last edited by ftfnavyseals at Jan 11, 2010,
Oh by the way, I do need something that is fairly loud, in case I do gigs with it. I only have a Spider 2 150w currently. And I really don't want to go under 100w, solid state. I've never used tube so I don't know what the db comparison is between the two... Is a 40w tube louder than 100w solid state??
I'm open to all suggestions at this point as long as budget is around 500 to 650 MAX and only want to hit that max if it is totally worth it.
It really depends on the amp as far as volume goes. The Budda Superdrive 18 watter, for example, is loud enough to rupture one's ear drums. With tube amps, wattage is more about headroom (how far you can turn the clean up before it distorts) than volume.

If you want effects built-in, I say look into the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 with a Sanpera footswitch.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
It really depends on the amp as far as volume goes. The Budda Superdrive 18 watter, for example, is loud enough to rupture one's ear drums. With tube amps, wattage is more about headroom (how far you can turn the clean up before it distorts) than volume.

If you want effects built-in, I say look into the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 with a Sanpera footswitch.

dammit you stole my suggestion
The Sanpera's a really nice piece of hardware. Lets you access a ton of options in the amp, including a looper and a wah. Get the bigger footswitch. Pricey, but very worth it.

As for loudness: a general rule of thumb is 10x wattage = 2x volume. Play a 50 watt head next to a 100 watt head and you'll know what I'm talking about. Also, 100 watts solid state is pretty damn loud. There are amps that break this rule - my friend's Orange Rocker 30 can get ear-shatteringly loud, while my 120-watt all tube Bugera is actually a bit on the quiet side (but it more than makes up for that in the tone department.) The Vypyr 60 actually has some tube circuitry - I think it's a modeling preamp into a tube power amp. So it's pretty loud. Also, anywhere you gig these days is usually going to have a way to mic your amp, and if it doesn't, then it's usually small enough that you don't need 150 watts anyway.

Last thing: Please don't triple post.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
You pickups would really shine with a tube amp. What kind of tones are you looking for?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Yeah, i'd go used if i were you. You could get a really nice tube amp for 500$ on craigslist.

Pretty much what Raijouta said about the tubes. and the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.

and btw.. Raijouta i didnt recognize you without the buckethead avatar. hah
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
You pickups would really shine with a tube amp. What kind of tones are you looking for?

Yeah I was just about to say a tube amp would do better justice with his active pickups.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

Metal with the ATX. Mostly Metallica style
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
Yeah, i'd go used if i were you. You could get a really nice tube amp for 500$ on craigslist.

Pretty much what Raijouta said about the tubes. and the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.

and btw.. Raijouta i didnt recognize you without the buckethead avatar. hah

I really appreciate the help and suggestions (sorry for double triple posting lol) but all the reviews I'm reading are terrible. Everyone has a lot of bad things to say. I'm gonna go test them tomorrow and see for myself.
Quote by ftfnavyseals
I really appreciate the help and suggestions (sorry for double triple posting lol) but all the reviews I'm reading are terrible. Everyone has a lot of bad things to say. I'm gonna go test them tomorrow and see for myself.

This is the best thing said so far and it was by you TS. I don't really trust anyones tone opinions. I like to know what amps they think are geared towards the different genres though and what options they have. I also like to know if they have any reliability issues.

Every single person has a different opinion on the way different amps sound. Some people come to the same conclusions but not always. You definitely need to go test the choices you have around your area.
I played the Peaveys, Marshalls, Fenders, Line 6 (Spider 4 and Valve), Vox, and Bogner. And my favorite was definitely the Bogner, but 2k is more than I want to even think about spending.... lol But honestly, the Line 6 Spider 4 half stack was the only one that sounded good. Sure some of the tones kinda blew, but the distortion was incredible! So thanks for the input, and I appreciate the help, but I'm feelin another line 6 for now, at least until I get a tube, then it's a different story.
Last edited by ftfnavyseals at Jan 13, 2010,
so you're saying you're going for another spider? and not a valve spider? and i'm interested in knowing which Marshalls and Peaveys you played.

if you liked the Spider's (not the valve one) distortion out of the others the most (minus the vox and fenders) for metallica, then i guess that's your decision. though you're taking one major step backward by buying an oversized practice amp. i hope to God this isn't some kind of sick trolling method.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
so you're saying you're going for another spider? and not a valve spider? and i'm interested in knowing which Marshalls and Peaveys you played.

if you liked the Spider's (not the valve one) distortion out of the others the most (minus the vox and fenders) for metallica, then i guess that's your decision. though you're taking one major step backward by buying an oversized practice amp. i hope to God this isn't some kind of sick trolling method.

Lol! Ok so I played the Peavey viper 75, didn't like it, I played the Marshall MG's, the higher end and tube models rule don't get me wrong, but MG is a glorified practice amp, and I need something with versatility on the fly, I wish I was made of money or at least could afford different pedals or switchboards or w/e, but I'm not and I can't. lol However, I played the Spider Valve 40w, and it didn't sound so great... It could have possibly been blown, idk, I played it for 20 minutes and moved on, trying all different settings. Now like I said the Line 6 Spider 4 150HD and the 4 12 150w rms cab sounded pretty good, especially compared to the combo Spider 4's it was a HUGE improvement, suprisingly. And all around the same price of getting a 150 combo, which is very odd... So yes, I would take a Spider 4 Half Stack over the Valve 40, but I haven't tried the one with 2 12's just the one with, well, 1. PLUS it's like 200 cheaper my way. But from what I understand, Valve is a hybrid... I may be wrong but if I'm not, then doesn't that totally ruin the idea of tube amps anyways?
Last edited by ftfnavyseals at Jan 13, 2010,
too many of these so i got a spider posts today. i call shennigans
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb