well he does shred in concert...ALOT.... so yeah
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
Avant garde shredder. Or, just a shredder with some decent riffs, but all in all, still a shredder.
i hate to sound like a dick but use the search bar cause theres been shit loads of threads on buckethead
but to answer the question hes a shredder he don't stand out to me
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
most certainly he is in his own league. If you ever get the chance to see him live, do it because it really showcases how unique he is. He does have amazing speed and technique, but he is extremely innovative and has the ability to melt your face with emotion. If someone classified him as just a shredder, i would honestly recommend them more of his music library to see how diverse he is and tell them to see him play live.
I agree with Firebird103. Buckethead has a wide library of songs that touches many different genres. I wouldn't classify him as "shredder".
I'd class him as a shredder moreso than people like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert (not his Racer X stuff, that's straight up shred!).

While a lot of the people I listed focus a lot on musicality but include great technique, Buckethead has a lot of songs based around great technique or awe-inspiring guitar playing (the song where his guitar continuously says chicken in a funky rythm comes to mind, or when he makes it sing Pure Imagination). Don't get me wrong, most of Buckethead's instrumental work is in a similar fashion to the afore mentioned "conventional" shredders, but he also does focus a lot on technical playing.

However I almost detest the term "Shred" and "Shredder" used in this context.
Shred is Cacophony and Racer X, not Steve Vai and Guthrie Govan!
He can shred but he isn't a shredder. He's a master of his craft.

If you want to really see his range, look at the albums:

Giant Robot
Acoustic Shards
Colma

In that order.

And yes, live, he is some kind of machine. I didn't see him with a live band, but he carried the show himself. Not only is his improv great, but the only thing you'll walk out saying is "I wish he played...". He will, of course, shred your face off, but the ambient and beautiful Electric Tears will melt you, as well as his slapping, kill switching, modifying his riffs, gift giving, dancing, nunchuck display, just...jesus! It was a hell of a show. I don't think it'd be possible to leave one of his concerts without conceding that he's one of, if not the, best musicians alive. Or ever.