I think i`m a bit confused with the differences between, diatonic and major scale..
are both the same ??
The major scale is a diatonic scale - (from wiki) a diatonic scale (from the Greek διατονικός, meaning "[progressing] through tones", is a seven note musical scale comprising five whole steps and two half steps, in which the half steps are maximally separated. Thus between each of the two half steps lie either two or three whole steps, with the pattern repeating at the octave. The term diatonic originally referred to the diatonic genus, one of the three genera of the ancient Greeks.

So by that definition the Major and minor scales are both types of diatonic scales.
Quote by zhilla
The major scale is a diatonic scale - (from wiki) a diatonic scale (from the Greek διατονικός, meaning "[progressing] through tones", is a seven note musical scale comprising five whole steps and two half steps, in which the half steps are maximally separated. Thus between each of the two half steps lie either two or three whole steps, with the pattern repeating at the octave. The term diatonic originally referred to the diatonic genus, one of the three genera of the ancient Greeks.

So by that definition the Major and minor scales are both types of diatonic scales.

This, too.
That's what I'd always assumed - good to have it properly written down though
Good knowin' zhilla
A diatonic scale is just a scale with seven notes, as opposed to, say, a pentatonic or a chromatic scale.
Quote by iforgot120
A diatonic scale is just a scale with seven notes, as opposed to, say, a pentatonic or a chromatic scale.

A heptatonic scale is a scale with seven notes. A diatonic scale is a specific type of heptatonic scale, with two diatonic semitones separated by two and/or three whole tones. Whether or not the definition should be extended to harmonic and melodic minor is debated, but generally it isn't.