I bought a used JCM 800 two years ago exactly. It has a pair of Groove Tube EL34s which the guy said he had recently put in when I bought it. I'm wondering:

1) Is it time to replace the tubes?

and

2) Will I get more gain from new tubes and/or DIFFERENT tubes?

I have played it only when jamming and practicing. Which has totaled maybe 30 hours of playing on it.
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
damn thats pretty low hours on the tubes you should be good. i put in 30 hours on my amp in 2 or 3 weeks and after having my splawn 9 or 10 months its finally time for oa tube change

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

30 hrs??? They'd be lucky if they're worn in yet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
30 hours of playing isnt much at all. They shouldnt need to be changed, and changing power tubes wont give you any more gain, or it will barely be noticeable.
1) No

2) You won't necessarily get more gain but you can change the voicing of the amp slightly by changing tube types. Putting 6L6 tubes in it won't make it a Fender, though, since the circuit has more to do with voicing than the tube choice.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I know, 30 hours is low for tubes. I play usually around 7-10 though to get the most gain. Since the guy said he had "recently" put them in I was speculating as to how many hours he had played them, since he was in a touring band.

My main thought was just if changing to different tubes would give me more gain.
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
Any way of contacting him to find out? If not maybe play it safe and buy a spare set of valves and keep them for when your current set fail.
Don't you have to get the amp biased in order to change tubes?

Quote by BlackIce87
Quote by Goin' Mobile
Don't you have to get the amp biased in order to change tubes?

Ideally, you should re-bias after you've installed your new power tubes, but you don't have to.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp