Hai everyone.
Now, I'm pretty clumsy so naturally my guitar (a jackson dk2m) has a few chips and botches in the finish.
What's the best way to fix these? Should I just paint over them or take it to a luthier?
Thanks!
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Are they real bad looking, or is it the sort of stuff that would be inevitable through use anyhow? Pictures?
It's just a small little chip, you can see some gray stuff underneath.
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki

Quote by IchiKurosaki
What color is it?
I do not buy "it gives your guitar character crap"
I have been able to repair some finish chips with great luck depending on the color. A shop will tell you they would have to refinish the whole guitar and it will cost big $$$.

I actually use fingernail polish to repair chips. It's not just painting the chip it's involved. You need to build up the paint until it higher than the original finish. Then you have to sand it with very fine sand paper then wet sand it and polish it until it blends in and has a shine. Like I said it's involved but my repairs are invisible. The hardest part is finding a matching fingernail polish. I chose fingernail polish over paint because it's available in a million colors it basically lacquer, easy to find, easy to work with and very inexpensive compared to having to buy paint itself.

John
my ibanez is white, and there was a small chip in the finish. i put white-out over it. its only noticeable if youre looking for it.
Quote by God
i lol'd
Quote by johnro6659
What color is it?
I do not buy "it gives your guitar character crap"
I have been able to repair some finish chips with great luck depending on the color. A shop will tell you they would have to refinish the whole guitar and it will cost big $$$.

I actually use fingernail polish to repair chips. It's not just painting the chip it's involved. You need to build up the paint until it higher than the original finish. Then you have to sand it with very fine sand paper then wet sand it and polish it until it blends in and has a shine. Like I said it's involved but my repairs are invisible. The hardest part is finding a matching fingernail polish. I chose fingernail polish over paint because it's available in a million colors it basically lacquer, easy to find, easy to work with and very inexpensive compared to having to buy paint itself.

John

Your technique seems correct but the material you're using isn't the best. Most inexpensive guitars use polyurethane not laquer. Drop filling (as you described) is recommended buy Dan Erlewine @ StewMac.com but he uses superglue. I think they have some free info on the web on this to desribed the above TS post a little more so check it out.
Moving on.....
If you want to avoid having such problems in the future, just leave it in its case and never play it.

Chips are part of normal wear and tear.
O)))))))))))))))))
Everybody chips their guitars once in awhile.
Just let it be.
Repair would be too costly and not worth it.
And it does NOT affect tone at all.

E.g.:
My guitars lower horn bumped on my table and some finish chipped off.
I used my cousins finger lacquer to cover a spot in the finish and I like the look of the improvised look.
It´s not for everybody though.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
The finish is snow white
Oh and thanks everyone for the advice, I'll take it into consideration!
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki

Quote by IchiKurosaki
white guitars with chips just look classy! i think, anyway. like somebody else said, it shows character! your guitar has battle scars.

granted, that guitar is almost 20 years old haha
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Im curious as well, because I have an Epi SG G400 custome thats like a yellow-ish white color that came with a chip where you can see the wood and I kinda want to fix it because it doesnt even really look cool. Any advice?
A good luthier should be able to make any chips barely noticeable, but at a cost. You need to get a quote and decide if its worth it.

If you consider doing it yourself, the hard part will be color matching, assuming you have some skill/knowledge about doing such repairs. Its not that difficult, just tedious and time consuming.

I handle all my gear with great care, even my older gear looks great. But thats just me.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
on all my guitars with maple tops/transparent finishes, i just get a sharpie and color in the chip and so far i've had good luck with the colors matching, but yeah, you almost can't tell they're there.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.