I'm noticing it's pretty hard to do a string bend on my guitar without having the lower strings go up my fingernails.

1) Is this bad technique? I notice there aren't many (if at all) guitarists out there that bend strings like I do.

2) How do you bend your strings? I figure it's better to ask here because I'm likely to get a more detailed answer as opposed to reading it off the net.

There's a chance that it's due to my string's action being too high, but I believe it's more likely that I just suck.

---------

I've read that it's better to develop your skills by tabbing out songs yourself instead of just reading tabs off the net. From there, I infer that it's probably not at all a bad idea to explore the guitar once in a while (I swear, the way it's being phrased by me makes it sound a much cornier idea than I think it actually is.). The question would be: What's there to explore? Where the harmonics are? How the different frets relate to each other?

Really am looking forward to being able to further my skills on my own until I can get out of the acoustic guitar class and on to the electric one. :S
1. Ain't it PAINFUL for christ sake? Dunno if it's bad but it's not the right technique
2. To bend the string use the...well middle meaty part of the tip of your finger. And use three fingers. Example: Bend the lower E whichever fret you desire, use the middle finger for the bend but keep the index and the ring finger for support. That way you'll bend the note AND you'll keep normal tension.
I had the same problem for the longest time. Eventually it just worked itself out though. I think it may have a bit to do with how thick your calluses are, but I'm not sure. As mine thickened, it just seemed to get easier to bend properly. Just make sure you are bending with your wrist and not your fingers.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I'm a metal guitarist and I'd consider the acoustic guitar class ABOVE electric guitar classes. It takes a lot of skill to make an acoustic sound good, while not as much for an electric.

As for bending strings, just dont use your damn finger nail, nuff said.
Fire it up, let the engines roll!
It's time to burn it down!
Keep bleeding on till the day you die!
Forever love it loud, yeah!
Quote by Dopemgs
1. Ain't it PAINFUL for christ sake? Dunno if it's bad but it's not the right technique
2. To bend the string use the...well middle meaty part of the tip of your finger. And use three fingers. Example: Bend the lower E whichever fret you desire, use the middle finger for the bend but keep the index and the ring finger for support. That way you'll bend the note AND you'll keep normal tension.

Actually it's not as painful as you might think. :P

I'll try bending with my middle finger. Always find myself bending with my index finger (and only that). Must be my attempting to play songs at full speed even though I'm not done practicing it. :P

Quote by Junior#1
I had the same problem for the longest time. Eventually it just worked itself out though. I think it may have a bit to do with how thick your calluses are, but I'm not sure. As mine thickened, it just seemed to get easier to bend properly. Just make sure you are bending with your wrist and not your fingers.

I do find myself bending without my wrist. I'll try that too.

Also, I'm guessing since the bending should be done with the wrist, my hand should be horizontal and not vertical. Am I right on that?

Quote by Bazookajoe_666
I'm a metal guitarist and I'd consider the acoustic guitar class ABOVE electric guitar classes. It takes a lot of skill to make an acoustic sound good, while not as much for an electric.

As for bending strings, just dont use your damn finger nail, nuff said.

I'm not saying the acoustic guitar is inferior to the electric guitar. I just don't like it very much.

Well, not as much as chugga chugga chug.
Last edited by triface at Jan 11, 2010,
The best way to bend is use more than one finger (use your ring and index a lot) and turn your wrist into the bend, keep hitting the note two frets down so you know what a full bend should sound like.

2. As for exploration, the easiest way on the acoustic is to arpeggiate your basic open chords, whichever are in your song... As for electric use lots of slides and bends for dramatic effect and use palm mutes and the volume knob for dynamics