Page 1 of 5
After watching numerous American programs, it seems that Britain is portayed as a very old-fashioned place, with thatched roofs, big ben dominating the skyline wherever you are), thick 'toodle pip' accents and tudor/stuart culture throughout.

So, pit, my question is split into 2 groups.

People not from the UK, if you had not been here, and not seen real pictures of it, what would you portray the UK to look like? Like it's portrayed on tv?

And to us UK'ers, do you mind about the cultural stereotyping and what is your opinion on old vs new, regarding buildings, food/drink etc.

I don't want this to turn into a UK vs America debate, and no racism.

Thanks
this is what I imagine when I think of the uk:

a man around his 30s living in a terribly small and nasty house, he has a fat girlfriend with the ugliest teeth ever, he works at a local grocery store and his hobbies are screwing around with women and going to see manchester united, after which he hits the pubs and triest to find supporters from the opposing team and starts smacking them on sight

so no, not everyone imagines the big ben

edit:

this might have distorted my vision tho

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Last edited by numinis at Jan 11, 2010,
I always pictured it as a place full of thugs who listen to underground rap.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
What? It's totally like Mrs. Marple.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I'm from the UK, and while I do find it a bit annoying that we are always portrayed as either tea drinking, crumpet eating monocle wearing fops or 'lovable' cockney ragamuffins, I tend to ignore it as I would hope people realise the UK is far more diverse than that.
I can't think of a signature.
Quote by Kensai
What? It's totally like Mrs. Marple.

I love Mrs Marple.

That and Midsumer Murders are just tradition here.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by KTFM
No, I never thought of the UK like that. Then again, we're more observant of other cultures than Americans
*Flameshield Activate*

lol, i always enjoy the good ol' American stereotype.

When I think of people from the UK I think of the accent obviously but think that we are much more similar than we are different. For instance, we both enjoy football, our version is just more hip.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Britain?

Well, we've got crisps, ques, plenty of pubs...there's Jeremy Kyle, if you like that kind of thing, as well as Nando's chicken, but I think we're mostly known for a sense of pervasive despair punctuated by moments of national pride (generally during the manhunt for a peadophile).
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
I imagine intellectuals with pipes using excellent deduction skills to solve crimes, then subsequentially explaining the entire plot of their actions to a sidekick, as the events leading up to thus have been rather confusing for most observers.

Did I mention they smoke pipes?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by rooster456 at Jan 11, 2010,
Quote by sacamano79
lol, i always enjoy the good ol' American stereotype.

When I think of people from the UK I think of the accent obviously but think that we are much more similar than we are different. For instance, we both enjoy football, our version is just more hip.

Why, because you play football with your hands?
I don't particularly mind OP's stereotype because it's a damn sight nicer than the UK actually is.
Quote by Vietnow!

dont be jealous now.

edit:
football always brings up controversy.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Jan 11, 2010,
Quote by Vietnow!

We called it football only to spite the rest of the world. You know how us stereotypical American's are... overweight, greedy, and otherwise, arrogant.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by sacamano79
lWhen I think of people from the UK I think of the accent obviously but think that we are much more similar than we are different. For instance, we both enjoy football, our version is just more hip.

Could someone explain why a game where you use your HANDS to catch the ball and pretty much use your UPPER BODY to tackle other players is called "football"? x)

My vision of Britain is: olde buildings, Ozzy Osbourne, heaths, lots of Hindu people, lately - lots of Polish people Drinking guinness, fat girls who want to think they're "indie" by not being slim (sorry), teenage pregnancies...that's probably all

EDIT: Ah, late with the question about football.
My vision of Britian is full of lame indie teenagers in skinny jeans, radiohead t-shirts, and scarves, all with macbooks gathered at a coffee shop, scratching their chin and being pretentious and what-have-you.
I don't understand why we're stereotyped with bad teeth.
Last edited by AnAngrySquirrel at Jan 11, 2010,
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
I don't understand is why we're stereotyped with bad teeth.

Because heaps of famous Brits have bad teeth.
Quote by Melodic_Rocker
My vision of Britian is full of lame indie teenagers in skinny jeans, radiohead t-shirts, and scarves, all with macbooks gathered at a coffee shop, scratching their chin and being pretentious and what-have-you.

Don't you start, sheep shagger

Quote by Melodic_Rocker

Tis true, i've seen a heap of shows with them having bad teeth.
Quote by Melodic_Rocker

Can I see some evidence of this?
Quote by ShallowEndings
Don't you start, sheep shagger

Hey, I'm not a Kiwi.... I'm a fat, ignorant American!
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
I don't understand why we're stereotyped with bad teeth.

Well I've asked some American's I know about this, and they say it's because we're only just coming round to the idea of putting braces on teeth to straighten them out. In America, they put braces on pretty much everyone seemingly, which is why there is the American school stereotype of the nerdy kid with the braces (and a lot of the time full on head brace type thing). So the american's end up with straighter teeth than us. Apparently
Quote by alexmonty12
I don't particularly mind OP's stereotype because it's a damn sight nicer than the UK actually is.

I'd imagine it's something like people living in LA wanting everyone to believe that it really is as glamorous as Hollywood portrays it, and not wanting everyone to think about the hundreds of gang murders and thousands of homeless drug addicts.

I wouldn't have said I had a stereotype about the UK, but now that I think about my mental image is of all the touristy historic "stuff."
Quote by MightyAl
Back in my day, the teacher had to come to my tribe's village and inspect my cave-paintings in person.
For some reason, he thought the bison I painted was his mother, and gave me an F.

It wasn't my fault they look so similar.
Quote by Demon Wolf
I love Mrs Marple.

That and Midsumer Murders are just tradition here.

They're pretty sweet. I prefer Mrs. Marple. She's kind of foxy too.

Quote by ShallowEndings
Oh, well in that case... Cry over KFC being racist, fatty!

████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Living here all my life, it definately has 2 sides to it.

The nice, touristy historical side. If you go to places like Winchester, Bath, Lichfield, York.

Then the horrible chavvy sides, big cities, Tamworth

I've never had braces, my teeth grew in perfectly straight. The human race has it's problems with teeth, not just us hardy brits
Quote by sugar_daddy
My bad, its actually 600 years old. I guess I'm lucky to live in a postcard version of England.

Here it is:

Where in Cornwall are you to?

On the one hand I want to be seen as modern and intelligent when I apply for international jobs, and not some bumpkin who drinks tea and thatches roofs.

On the other hand, I think new housing estates are very ugly, and if I ever buy a house for myself in the UK it'll be a nice old fashioned cottage in the west country

Oh and also, just to troll a bit, in the UK we get braces for free on the NHS so if anything, our teeth are better because all of us are allowed dental care for free
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Jan 11, 2010,
Quote by sugar_daddy
The pub is in a town called Helston, I live in a village called Porthleven 2 miles from it, the area is called The Lizard peninsular.

Sweet, I was there in the summer. I loove Cornwall, and I'm sorry, I know how you hate all us townies coming down and ruining everything
Quote by sugar_daddy
Yeah, you emmit

Well... I don't know what that means, but that's what you get for living in such a pretty part of the world, every fucker wants to come and have a piece of it
Cornwall is awesome, except for all the loyalists. Your county belongs to the Queen, you pasty-loving hobbledeehoys!
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
The city I live in is a tudor city, full of awesome buildings, but Birmingham is a shitter

i love those types of buildings, heck towns/villages full of them just make me smile.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Page 1 of 5