So I have been playing acoustic for about 3 years and I have decided I want to do more electric playing....(other than on my crappy strat copy)

So I need an electric guitar.......I play mostly classic rock you know 60s Beatles,Kinks, Rolling stones etc

So what would work for me?

Price Range up to $2000
With that kind of budget I would look at a Gibson Les Paul. But, I also advise you go out and look at and play every guitar you can get your hands on. Do not pay that kind of money for anything sight unseen.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Either a Les Paul Standard or the best strat you can get your hands on. Word of advice when it comes to gibson: never order off the internet. They've had some fairly serious quality control problems lately (because their CEO thinks they should just raise prices instead of fixing the guitars) so it's a good idea to play the EXACT guitar you're going to buy before you buy it. As in take it out of the box and inspect it BEFORE you pay for it. Come to think of it, that's a good policy for buying ANY guitar.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by Bhaok
With that kind of budget I would look at a Gibson Les Paul. But, I also advise you go out and look at and play every guitar you can get your hands on. Do not pay that kind of money for anything sight unseen.

I sort of want that old guitar sound like the very early begginings of the beatles and kinks

But you are right also it is $2000 AU so its probably about $1500 american
Look at the high-end (Made in Japan) Tokai's aswell - regarded by many to be better than Gibson's (its all personal preference, but for me they come pretty close)...

http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31

Thats just their website, i know the prices are in pounds and look a little high (you can get them cheaper), but those are the models you want to look out for...
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
Ah... AU changes things. According to everyone, prices get way higher down there, not just adjusting for the currency. If you could list the prices of some Les Pauls and Strats down there, we can give you some reference for what might be in your range.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.