Right, i'm in a band i use a PRS SE Custom and i'm the lead guitarist, currently i'm using an old Marshall MG30dfx which is ok, but now we have started giging i think it's time for something a little bigger. I have been looking at the two new Marshalls the 101dfx (with one speaker) and the 102dfx with two speakers. I have also had a quick look at some valve amps like the Blackstar HT5, however i think i would be better off with a solid state amp like the Marshalls. I also looked at a Fender frontman 100watt which looks ok, but has had mixed reviews. The genres i play vairy as i like to play all sorts but genrally i like rock things like the foo fighters, lostprophets and rise against. I want to get a nice clean tone out of the amp and i also want a good distortion channel for solos. I really don't know alot about amps and havn't had a broad experince of different types. I have for instence no idea why the marshall 101dfx is any better than the 102dfx, two speakers are better than one right? really i just want people to tell me their experince with either the amps i have said or with any within the £200-£300 price range, i really want to get the most out of my guitar and i want an amp which will last me a long time, and one which is effective at gigs. My band will be recording fairly soon and depending on how we decide to record i may need the amp for that aswell.

So yeah your thoughts...

Thanks
peavey vypyr
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
i've seen alot of people on here raving about the peavy vyper, whats so great about it?
good to see you have a PRS aswell
Vox VT-50.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
well in your price range I do agree with the vypyr or the vox. I really do like the ht5 also, but if you aren't micing the amp it might not overpower the drums. But that could actually go for all of these.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
wait till the new blackstars are out?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Bugera-V22-Valve-Guitar-Amp/ANI

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Bugera-V55-Valve-Guitar-Amp-and-Reverb/ANJ

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Peavey-Windsor-Studio-Guitar-Amp/4KF

the above seem pretty good, the V55, while over budget would be enough for live gigs. It's a 55 watt valve amp.

Check the reviews on Youtube, they all sound really good, there is the HT-5 as well, which would be my choice but you would need to amp it when playing live. It would be loud enough over a drummer, as long as he didn't go mental on the drums.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by Countsprattcula
however i think i would be better off with a solid state amp like the Marshalls

lol wtf, have you even tried a tube amp? but yeah, at 300 something like a vot xt 50, or 100 if willing to go used, would be your best bet.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 BK with a Dimarzio Evo in bridge
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
No i havn't tried a valve amp but i have heard that they don't last as long as solid state amps and need to warm up or something, as you can tell i don't know much about amps... I am going to have a look at a few youtube reviews, i look out for the new blackstars too.
Also as a side note i am thinking of getting the Dunlop cry baby orginal would like to know if you lot like it or hate it etc...
If your looking for a versitile amp for around £200-300 and gigging a 75 watt peavy vypyr will be good if you don't have a back up. I would recommend a tube but if you don't have a decent backup amp don't. A broken tube could ruin a night
Quote by Countsprattcula
No i havn't tried a valve amp but i have heard that they don't last as long as solid state amps and need to warm up or something, as you can tell i don't know much about amps... I am going to have a look at a few youtube reviews, i look out for the new blackstars too.

the valves have to be changed, but not that frequently, i've had my traynor ycv for a year and haven't changed anything, not planning on it either, and they have to warm for a few seconds/a minute or two

they're actually easier to repair, if you break an SS amp, you'll often be better off buying another one because repairing it would be more expensive
Yeah, i don't really have the money to buy a tube and a back up which is why i think a solid state amp is best for me, i'm going to look into the vypyr
Quote by Countsprattcula
Yeah, i don't really have the money to buy a tube and a back up which is why i think a solid state amp is best for me, i'm going to look into the vypyr

i suggest you really go and test out a tube amp. i'm pretty much sure, that after playing a tube amp, you wont even want to touch a marshall mg, or a vypyr.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 BK with a Dimarzio Evo in bridge
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
fair play to you mate lol, i have just looked a couple of reviews and video reviews of the vypyr and i must say it's versitility is incredible especially with the foot switch.
The footswitch which goes with the vypyr the sampra (or something like that) would the sampra I act as a wah wah if i wanted it to? i saw a vid with a guy with the sampra II using it as a wah wah.
All I can find in your price/power range is a Roland Cube 80x and the Vox AD50VT The Cube would give you a bit more leeway for gigging but going used looks like the best bet. 50w is minimum for SS amps and 25w for valve. The new Blackstar series will most likely start at around £500.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

A Laney LV series is a rock-solid amp for gigging if you want tone against bells and whistles, 3 channels, sounds better than a spider or a mg - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/lv-300/69096
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by Countsprattcula

Tube amps require more upkeep than solid state but it's easier. When solid state stuff breaks, it's pretty expensive but less frequent. I value the tone of tube over most comparatively priced SS amps enough to stand tube replacement...now if only I had enough money for more than just food after buying gas...
You know for 300 quid you could get lucky and get something really nice second hand. I saw a JCM900 for 330 euros, but I passed since I'd probably need an attenuator as well. Get a Vypyr or something maybe. Modelers are generally quite a lot better than SS, unless you're using Pedals, then SS is quite a bit better.
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Jan 11, 2010,
does anyone know wether the sampera I can do wahwah with the vypyr cus i saw a guy do it with the sampera II..
You should definitely try a Blackstar before making up your mind. I don't think valves are anything to be scared of.