Hello all

I really need some advice about what is the ultimate amp rig. Its really difficult as no shops seem to have decent gear to try out these days.
I currently own a pod xt pro, which is fine for demo's and a TSL 100 head which i don't like.
This amp has to do the lot from crystal clear to old style blues/rock crunch to modern heavy dist hi gain metal. While also doing hi sustain leads like vai.
Is there an amp/rack that can do this?
Most amps i've tried simply don't have the level dist i need for metal.

In short whats the best money no object amp/rack?
You're asking for one amp that does everything well - which most players and amp builders agree is impossible. That's why the best boutique amps do ONE thing very well. If an amp does everything there will be compromises along the way (usually the clean channel sucks on 3 channel amps).

That being said, I think the best amp for somebody who needs all the tricks is a Bogner Ecstasy. Mesa's will claim they can do it (ie Road King) but all those little switches can't change the fundamental nature of the amp - a modern high gain amp. Lipstick on a pig and such...
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Carvin Legacy II has it for me.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Matter of pure opinion.

But some of the most versatile
- H&K Triamp
- Diezel VH4 and Herbert
- Engl invader, powerball, savage and SE
- Marshall JVM
- VHT/Fryette Sig X and pitbull UL
- Mesa mkIV, V, Roadster, Stilleto
Quote by Shakespeare
The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, And his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted.
Last edited by D Man at Jan 11, 2010,
+1 to the A/Bing idea, if money is no object and you're not opposed to having multiple amps.

If you want an all-in-one package, then look into Diezel, Hughes and Kettner, Titan, Bogner, and possibly high-end ENGLs and Splawns.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
hahaha. he said if money was no object guys.

Dumble
Trainwreck

Those probably won't do metal too well though
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by handlerb
You're asking for one amp that does everything well - which most players and amp builders agree is impossible. That's why the best boutique amps do ONE thing very well. If an amp does everything there will be compromises along the way (usually the clean channel sucks on 3 channel amps).

That being said, I think the best amp for somebody who needs all the tricks is a Bogner Ecstasy. Mesa's will claim they can do it (ie Road King) but all those little switches can't change the fundamental nature of the amp - a modern high gain amp. Lipstick on a pig and such...

Mostly true but some of Mesa's are plenty versatile.

He is completely right about the beginning though, no amp will do everything perfectly. You need to sort out your prioritys about what tones are most important you. You will need to settle on good but not great tones in some areas unless you go with a modeller. I haven't heard one but apparently the Fractal Axe-FX is an amazing modelling pre amp.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
thanks for the suggestions guys, i will be checking those out.
I agree that one amp for all is not possible, im just a bit fed up of marshalls and need new ideas. The primary use will be metal and vai like solos, so thanks again for the recommendations.

Im trying to find an ENGL special edition to play too. That looks good
yeah if you can do the A/B thing

but i 2nd the diezel and engl
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
No budget? There's a load of boutique amps you could go for. You've got to have SOME kind of budget, or at least the amount of money you expect to spend. What kind of voice you going for?
http://www.ultrasoundampsales.com/

Dumble ODS100 # 173 is a Magnificent Amplifier and one of the best sounding and most valuable Dumbles ever made with Holy Grail tone.
Sales Price: $48,500 - SOLD

Trainwrecks are very responsive amps with rich harmonic complexity and beautifully balance tone. The amp’s gorgeous clean and benchmark overdrive tones can be controlled with the guitar’s volume control or by merely altering your touch. Trainwrecks set the standard for warmth, fullness, responsiveness, note articulation, touch sensitivity, string to string separation, fret board feel, clarity, dynamics and singing sustain. Many people feel a Trainwreck Liverpool is the finest sounding, single coil guitar amp ever built and finding one has become almost impossible.
Sales Price: $33,500 - Serious Inquiry Only Email or Call Gene At 212-967-5626

there ya go
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb