so playing just to play i do it really well but as soon as i press the record button my playing turns to sh*t.
im sure this is due tho the pressure of playing it without any errors. ive tried to not think of it but it still happens
any tips on how to overcome this?
keep trying again until you get it right.. if all else fails, you'll be up messing up from fatigue instead of "nervousness"...? lol

but seriously, I had this problem too, and it was actually because i sucked at playing.. just never realised until i tried to record myself.. don't know if that's the case with you, but it's a possibility. I did manage to get over it pretty quickly after practicing with a metronome etc.
Last edited by Ibbod0 at Jan 11, 2010,
start recording really easy songs/riffs. sure you may have some crazy hard songs you want to put down, but you have your whole life ahead of you. just until you get comfortable, record easy songs.

try pushing record and then jamming like you would any day without recording. i'm assuming you're not going analogue and are not worried about running out of tape... just to get used to playing with the "tape" running.

if you screw up a tape, just leave it in record and give it a few seconds of silence and try it again. you can go back and cut out the good takes and move them to where they need to be. or put it in loop record if your DAW will allow that.

keep in mind that recording yourself playing will show you a lot of your flaws that you may not have been able to see before. use it as a learning tool to fix those problems before you get too serious about getting a song down just right.