Long story short; I've been looking for a new guitar for a little bit mainly out of feeling of boredom with my current guitars(The way I see it, if you have enough spending cash sitting around collecting dust, nothing is more fun than getting a new guitar, messing with it to get all it's sounds, getting used to the new neck, writing the songs that the guitar's feel and sound inspire, etc., and any of us who says they don't love buying a new guitar is a liar).

Recently listened again to the reason I really got into playing guitar as more than a way of being able to say I knew an instrument(Cream's Disraeli Gears and Wheels Of Fire), and as such my GAS has been aimed towards an SG of some sort. I don't want to spend a lot though since I'm saving for a few pieces of recording equipment, so I was wondering if anyone here could point me towards a cheap and decent(It doesn't need to blow me away, if I fall in love with the SG, then I'll probably upgrade that thing before buying a new one, so I just need a decent SG frame to build on) SG of some sort?

~No more than $250 max(Stretching to something like $255 or $260 is fine)
~Not a must really, but something in cherry would be preferable.
~Must be set-neck. I know a lot of low-end SG's are bolt-neck, but in my experience, the different types of joints alter the warmth of the tone, so I want to find something with a proper, glued-in neck.
~Preferably alnico humbuckers, but depending on the price, ceramic can probably go just as well.
~Preferably all four traditional controls.
~Unless the price is just right, no offset SG's. I hate myself for being so stagnant about something so superficial, but I hate the way offset SG-style guitars like the ESP Vipers look close enough to get in the ballpark while being different enough to be jarring.

At the moment I'm looking at an Epi G-400 with SD's someone listed on Craigslist for $200, but it was posted on the 18th of December, so I have no doubt someone's snatched it by now.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
The only thing i can think of in that price range that would even be worth owning is an epiphone G-400.
How Is That A Long Story Short!?!

EDIT: without reading it. i suggest the Epi Tony Iommi Signature
Last edited by sol-sob-on-pcp at Jan 11, 2010,
Quote by sol-sob-on-pcp
How Is That A Long Story Short!?!

Because I'm very long-winded. If I had gone into detail it would've been a good page or two.

Quote by necrosis1193
Because I'm very long-winded. If I had gone into detail it would've been a good page or two.

ah. gotcha
I think you can get a Burny SG that is correct shape AND correct woods. Tokai would be nice but Alder and Maple have no place on an SG. I wouldn't even suggest you pick up a G-400 or it will put you off SGs for life.
A pity you are not in UK where Vintage SGs can be had new for around your money. (They also sell a hand painted replica of 'The Fool' at around £800)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Might be worth checking out the Vintage VS6 Series. Cheap & comes with a set neck and Wilkinson pickups. I've not used one but I have one of their LP copies which is impressive for the price.
Quote by fiend89
Jay turser makes good stuff. their sg is the jt 50.

Found one on eBay, and I like the look of things, but the maple neck worries me. Do you have one, and if so, how does it sound?

Quote by Lurcher
I think you can get a Burny SG that is correct shape AND correct woods. Tokai would be nice but Alder and Maple have no place on an SG. I wouldn't even suggest you pick up a G-400 or it will put you off SGs for life.
A pity you are not in UK where Vintage SGs can be had new for around your money. (They also sell a hand painted replica of 'The Fool' at around £800)

Sadly I cannot find Tokai or Burny in the US, and international shipping alone nearly pushes it out of my range. That said though, I did find a Vintage VS6 on eBay inside the US, though it's a little more than my budget. How are they?

Quote by Vialli
Might be worth checking out the Vintage VS6 Series. Cheap & comes with a set neck and Wilkinson pickups. I've not used one but I have one of their LP copies which is impressive for the price.

See the above.