what are some signs that your strings are going bad? ive heard that its a distinct smell or something. also what are some decent cheap strings i can buy(i play all types of music) please help.
I figure that the smell is mostly from the fat that your fingers leave on your strings.

bad sound maybe? loss of sustain?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
are you trying to burn me? whatever. ive had em on there for like a year and they have a coppery smell to em like old pennies so i cant even stand to play my bass right now.
Whenever you feel like they need to be changed. Personally I feel like they get really gross and oily feeling around the 6 month mark so that's when I change them.
Quote by DoomsdayArsenal
I change the strings on my Strat like every two weeks...

>_>

<_<

That's a worse money waster then world of warcraft
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by the wako kid
are you trying to burn me? whatever. ive had em on there for like a year and they have a coppery smell to em like old pennies so i cant even stand to play my bass right now.

Yeah that smell is distusting. In a way though, it's you not the strings. I mean, obviously it is the strings, but it's probably happened due to you playing with dirty/oily/greasy hands - strings don't just go like that due to age, within reason. Get some new strings if they've gone this way, and then start washing your hands* before you play to avoid it happening in the future, since it is very annoying.

*some people take this further, and use (rubbing?) alcohol before playing.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
The oils on your hands and fingers will cause strings to tranish, smell, etc. Wipping your strings and fret board down after each playing will help. Whether you change your strings often or not really depends on the sound you want. I personally really don't like the bright sound of new strings and keep my strings on for well over a year or so.
Equip List: MTD Artist 5 fretless, Ampeg SVT 810, GK NEO 410, Behringer BVT5500H, Boss (EQ, LS-2, ChromoTuner, Overdrive)
Quote by cm261
Yeah that smell is distusting. In a way though, it's you not the strings. I mean, obviously it is the strings, but it's probably happened due to you playing with dirty/oily/greasy hands - strings don't just go like that due to age, within reason. Get some new strings if they've gone this way, and then start washing your hands* before you play to avoid it happening in the future, since it is very annoying.

*some people take this further, and use (rubbing?) alcohol before playing.

i do clean my bass and hands a lot tho. whatev your probably right but if anything its from my friends playing it. well whats a good cheap brand of strings to buy for all music types?i have to practice my bass lines on guitar cus i cant stand that copper smell >:-(
Well if the crappy metal smell bothers you then I'd advise against 'cheap strings'. Also, strings are all about preference, it's pretty much trial and error I'm afraid. Some general advice though, a lot of people like rotosounds, and I have one of my basses strung with them, but I have found that after a few months they have developed that coppery smell, so I wouldn't recommend them for you. They're swing bass 66's, if anyone was interested.

In comparison, my 5-er is strung with whatever strings it had when new, I think they may be D'Addarios, and they still sound amazing and don't produce any kind of metallic smell on your fingers, despite being played regularly since the bass was new (a couple of years ago, I'd imagine).
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
I think D'Addarios age really well - they go really mellow after a while. I'm guilty of leaving strings on for months or years at a time but my Ibanez basses (which are both strung with d'Adds) still sound good. I'm not so keen on Rotosounds once the new tinny sound has died.