I'm getting a new guitar and i can choose pretty much anything under $600 and i'm thinking of getting a Epiphone les paul standard for around $500. Either this a wildkat, or a dot. Give your opinions on these three guitars 'cause I need help choosing

edit: i play classic rock (rolling stones stones, big beatle cover-er, and other 60's 70's classics). I use a digitech multi effect which is extremely versatile (got everything through vox ac30's to II rectifier for distortion), through a peavey PA system. Its not a big rig but it does the job. I have played the dot and I love it. i have kind of played the les paul but not long enough to get an impression on it. I have yet to play the wildcat but a couple of my friends have one and they say its their fav out of all of their guitars.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Last edited by evhbrianmay at Jan 11, 2010,
i have bought this guitar a few weeks ago and i'm realy satisfied with it! so if you ask me, buy it
Cool story bro. Are you asking for an opinion on which to get?

We need to know what style of music you play, gear, etc. before we can give you decent advice.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
im in love with my les paul standard, they are fantastically versatile guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
Completely depends on what you play we need to know. But if you're going for versatility i'm going to go ahead and say the les paul.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Personal Preference+Style of Music would be needed.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Depends on your playing style really.... if your into the foo fighters kinda scene, or maybe kings of leon, then go for the dot

If you want more versitility then go for the LP, In my preference i would go for the LP because i play mostly hard rock and metal, its just based on your musical taste
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

It's what all these guys have been saying;

If you wanna do hard rock and metal sort of stuff, go for Les Paul.

If you want a broader range of tones and more warmth, I'd go with the Dot.

Imo, they're both gonna need a pickup change anyway. Might I suggest the DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversaries?
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
I love my DOT. But for a workhorse guitar I'd get the LP. The DOT is a bit of a niche guitar.
Quote by JAustinMunn
It's what all these guys have been saying;

If you wanna do hard rock and metal sort of stuff, go for Les Paul.

If you want a broader range of tones and more warmth, I'd go with the Dot.

Imo, they're both gonna need a pickup change anyway. Might I suggest the DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversaries?
Meh, I've had the 36th Anniversaries, they're ok but nothing really that special. I still prefer Duncans PAF offerings over Dimarzios though they are a bit more expensive.
Quote by thrash-it-up
im in love with my les paul standard, they are fantastically versatile guitars

Yeah. I've had mine for a year now and it's great. I'm thinking of swapping out the pups now that I've got a decent amp.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Being a niche player myself, I'm going to give MY personal opinion. Dot. That is all.
Hey mate,
I was in the same situation as you about six months ago, as I already had a Gibson Les Paul, I was looking for a semi-hollow body for that classic rock sound.
The Dot & Wildkat were the 2 contenders - The Wildkat won hands down. The P90 pickups had so much more life than the pups in the Dot. I tried a few different Dots and the build quality or tone just wasn't anywhere near the Kat.

The Wildkat doesn't get a lot of press and is largely unknown which is a pity. I've been playing mine for the past 4 months since I picked it up and I can't put it down, the tone is so fat. You'll need to tweak your amp EQ to get the best out of it. The first gig I played it people were amazed the sound I was getting out of such a "cheap" guitar.

Short answer - Wildkat

My stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Special with Humbuckers
Gibson Flying V
Ibanez RG550 1992
Epiphone Wildkat
LTD EC50
Marshall AVH150H
Marshall 1960A reissue
Fender Pro185
A wife who thinks I have too much stuff...
Quote by al112987
Meh, I've had the 36th Anniversaries, they're ok but nothing really that special. I still prefer Duncans PAF offerings over Dimarzios though they are a bit more expensive.

Really? I've never had a chance to use any Seymour Duncans. I've had good experiences with the Anniversaries. Great raunchy warm tone imo.

What other Duncans would you reccommend for that kind of sound?

What about a balls to the wall metal sound?
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
i love my epi lp custom (the expensive one lol) but jump on dat dot youl luve it and with the money you save gets some different pickups if ye aint satisfied!
Quote by JAustinMunn
Really? I've never had a chance to use any Seymour Duncans. I've had good experiences with the Anniversaries. Great raunchy warm tone imo.

What other Duncans would you reccommend for that kind of sound?

What about a balls to the wall metal sound?
As far as sounding most like a set of PAFs, the Antiquities really do it for me. I had them in an Epiphone les paul that I had for a year and sold for text books. Big mistake selling them, should've swapped them out first they were some really sweet sounding pickups. I have a set of Wolfetones in my les paul now that sound pretty good too, which will run slightly more than the Antiquities but they sound pretty killer.

Can't comment on the metal sound, I don't play metal.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 12, 2010,