Hello everyone,

I have a Line POD XT Live plugged into my Solid state Randall RH150 (plugged in the clean mode to get the OD from my POD).

Now I'm thinking of buying a tube amp (Traynor YCS50). The problem is, someone (seller) told me that if I use my POD with a tube lamp, I'll lose all what the tube lamp will brings me in comparaison to my other amp. And if I don't want to lose all what a tube amp brings me, I should go with analogic pedals.

I was told that my POD works like a filter and it will stop all the warmth that I expect from a tube amp. I will lose the advantage of my tube amp.

My questions are, first, is it true?

And, if I connect my POD on the effect return (no amp simulation, only effects), will I still lose the advantage of my tube amp?

Do I really have to go with analogic effects?
well the guy is just trying to sell you more gear xD, if you dont use any of the amps in the pod, the effects will be great, but you gotta plug it on the FX loop to use the clean and dirt channels on the amp, as a matter of fact many proffesional bands use it that way nowdays... now if you want analog effects, you should try them... and compare them with the emulations on the pod...
bump/ Waiting here for an answer to this question since im might be buying line 6 x3 pod for a tube
Thanks for your answer. my point is that I really don't want to lose the avantage a tube amp would bring me.

Thre's so much effects in my POD that I'm sure I'll find everything I need in it.

It's all abour not losing the sound advantage of Tube amp.

- Oh, and Btw, what do you think if I add an OD effect (from my POD) to boost my distortion (still plugged into the effect return)?
Not really your tube sound is perfect if you plug it on the fx loop, on delay, chorus, flanger and other effects, but overdrive, distortion, fuzz, and other boosts can be better if they're analog, because they react different, but you gotta try... if i were u, i'll try both ...
Quote by Jacksabbath_44
Not really your tube sound is perfect if you plug it on the fx loop, on delay, chorus, flanger and other effects, but overdrive, distortion, fuzz, and other boosts can be better if they're analog, because they react different, but you gotta try... if i were u, i'll try both ...

So your recommendation is to use my POD (in effect return) for all Chorus, delay, flanger effects, and to use analigoc pedals for OD, comp, screamer needs?
yes... but you can give it a shot with the emulations too, line 6's people say that all the emulations are designed to sound and to be configured like the real ones... but for example the 808 and its clones are different, when you play them in a tube amp... but as a boost per se i don't know, i've read about people using badmonkey ov as a boost and i think it's a digital pedal... so try...
wow everytime i read analogic (is that a real word?), i read 'anal logic.' i know everyone around here just says 'analog' lol. but anyway, it doesn't matter if a pedal is analog/digital/valve powered, as long as you like the sound that's all that matters. if you get caught up in whether it's digital/analog, you're going to assume that one is always better than the other, which is NOT the case, i assure you. you'll also end up potentially paying more money just for the sake of 'analog' circuitry.

that little segment aside, i've heard of people doing this through an FX loop with modulation FX (delay, chorus, phaser, etc.) and it seems as long as it bypasses the power amp, it works well with digital multi-fx pedals. that's the impression I'VE gotten. though, it's a general consensus that you don't want to use any sort of boosting or distortion from the pedal if you have a stompbox alternative (or if you've got awesome amp gain already). i imagine it'd suffice for practicing and such, but as far as being a great gigging tone or a tone you'd be impressed with, it seems that leaving that for a single pedal that's made for that purpose (overdrive/distortion pedals) is a better idea.

though you can always try this out and see how it sounds to you using both FX AND distortion/boost from the POD, and if you don't like it, return it.

i prefer an amp to have just as useable cleans as it does overdrive if i'm going to use it, and only requiring a boost to get into heavier styles or just for thickening up an already amazing tone. using a pedal to totally make it sound like another beast, i'm just not into that as a lot of people here aren't into as well, just b/c of preference. but nothing's wrong with you if YOU DO like doing that with your POD. good luck!

slash_edit:
Quote by Jacksabbath_44
yes... but you can give it a shot with the emulations too, line 6's people say that all the emulations are designed to sound and to be configured like the real ones... but for example the 808 and its clones are different, when you play them in a tube amp... but as a boost per se i don't know, i've read about people using badmonkey ov as a boost and i think it's a digital pedal... so try...

the reason you think it's digital might be the reason a LOT of people think it's digital without research: because it says 'Digitech' on it. but it really is an analog pedal. and i had this pedal for a while, it made for an awesomely cheap boost, and on a tube amp, i found it quite useable on the clean channel for classic rock sounds, but i guess that all depends on how you can EQ it lol. having a 'bass' knob was awesome. thinking about picking up another one actually...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Last edited by slash_rocks2005 at Jan 11, 2010,
Well, right now I have my rig set up to run with Pod X3 going directly into the power section of my amp (Krank Rev Jr.) and I quite like the tones I get out of it. It still keeps some of that tube sound from the power side but I still have the ability to change tones in an instant. I really like using a lot of different tones while I play and constanly adjusting my set up just isn't as effcient as using an ME unit like a POD.

Another thing you can do is what I intend to when I get my new amp which is to have a set up where I can utilize both the pod running into the Power section as well as running just off of the amp and a few pedals, for optimum versatility.
Shabadoo, it sounds like you should be running a flextone or vetta
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
Shabadoo, it sounds like you should be running a flextone or vetta

Hehe, yeah, for the most part I agree but there are just a few tube tones I like that cannot be replaced by a modeller.
^hey i feel ya. though i think it's MatrixClaw that said he was surprised at how insanely close it got to valve amp sounds on certain models, including the dynamics of your playing as well...so if you haven't played one yet, you should give it a shot if you ever see it in a store. i know i will. one day i'd love to have one for the sake of practicing any style without having to switch amps...one day lol.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH