I have a carvin vintage 16, great amp and i love its tone but doesnt sound that great at a volume that wont piss off the old people in my new apartment building late at night. i've been doing my research and have been looking at the vox ac4tv, seems to be the ticket, but i wanted to know if anyone knew of anything else that compares to the vox before i buy it.

Thanks
Well there's plenty of small tube amps to look at.

Bugera V5, Blackstar HT-5, Fender Champion 600, Epiphone Valve Junior and the Fender Champ XD (it's 15 watt but I've heard good things about it). Really there's plenty of amps to look at depends on what you play and your budget.
the vox is a great little amp. it can go down to a 1/4 watt I believe...so you can get a cranked tone without waking the old folks' from their morning/afternoon/day-long nap.
Yeah, I dont know your budget but both the Mesa Mark V and Orange Terrors come to mind. The mark V can be dropped to 10W and sounds great, the dual terror can go down to 5 or 15 I believe. Both awesome soundy for wide variety of music.
I hear a lot of great things about the Blackstar HT-5

Iv played the Black Heart Little Giant (5 watt tube) and it sounded great from low to high volume, and was very pedal friendly

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Tyler Durden

Iv played the Black Heart Little Giant (5 watt tube) and it sounded great from low to high volume, and was very pedal friendly

I own both the Little Giant head and Handsome devil combo. Both are great, but to get the best out of 'em they have to be turned up pretty loud. Even the 5watter is crazy loud cranked. 3watts setting on the Giant is manageable at low volumes, but there's not a lot of gain to play with. The addition of the master vol and the 7w option on the Handsome devil, would have me recommend it above the Giant as an all-rounder tbh.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.