Hi there,

I just started to play bass (which is awesome ) but im wondering how I should play.

Because im playing with my thumb, index and my middle finger, it plays pretty comfortable , but im afraid I can't keep up in terms of speed with the traditional style of fingerstyle (playing with index and middlefinger) but when I only use my 2 fingers it feels uncomfortable.

What should I do? change my playing style or just practice more?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
~ Phoenix
I'd say a traditional style will serve you much better for most things, so it's important to get that down first.

The reason it feels uncomfortable is because you aren't used to it, it'll soon feel like second nature. Unless of course your technique is waaaay off, which would make it uncomfortable, but with a 2 finger fingerstyle I don't see how this could really be the case. Check out some youtube tutorials maybe? I never used them personally but I see people recommending them all the time.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
I agree with cm261, it only feels weird because its different. Once you start playing it enough it won't feel weird and it'll be ok. And actually, I've started using my thumb in addition to my index and middle finger for more advanced techniques, but if you stay the way you are it could lead to some technique difficulties later on. No matter what, keep on the low end and keep playing!
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
Thanks for the help guys!
Changed my playing style.
Gear,
- LakLand 55-01 Quilted maple top
- Epiphone Korina Explorer bass
- Hartke HA 3500
- Peavey BX 115
- Peavey Minx 110 amp
- Crafter acoustic guitar
How exactly do you use your thumb? Im just curious, it sounds like a very odd hand position.
I use to so slap/pop the E string when I'm up on higher string, or pluck chords with. Try picking up you hand and then letting it go from the wrist, thats almost what it looks like.
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
Cool. I would just add that learning both styles is only important if that's what you personally want to do. Some are just perfectly happy playing funk technique only and build their whole style around that.
What im playing is sort of like playing with your fingers with a acoustic guitar (i know it kinda sound noobish) but i changed it and it starting to feel comfortable
Gear,
- LakLand 55-01 Quilted maple top
- Epiphone Korina Explorer bass
- Hartke HA 3500
- Peavey BX 115
- Peavey Minx 110 amp
- Crafter acoustic guitar