Ok so I just bought my first Guitar tube head. and when its not even hooked up to my cab its making some weird noises like a clicking/hum type deal. It is very faint but like i said there is no amplification hooked up so its coming directly form the innerworkings of the amp itself. it this something to be concerned about?
What brand is it?

Some companies put a tiny little goblin in their amp heads to make sure the tubes and components are in working order. He was probably just clinking around and checking things out, no worries
Quote by foob85
What brand is it?

Some companies put a tiny little goblin in their amp heads to make sure the tubes and components are in working order. He was probably just clinking around and checking things out, no worries

Quote by MikeSeaCaptain
Ok so I just bought my first Guitar tube head. and when its not even hooked up to my cab its making some weird noises like a clicking/hum type deal. It is very faint but like i said there is no amplification hooked up so its coming directly form the innerworkings of the amp itself. it this something to be concerned about?

You can't run a head without a cab, if you've done that, you've probably just damaged your amp, badly.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by foob85
What brand is it?

Sheer BRILLIANCE.
TS, you just got your first valve amp head and you run it WITHOUT A CAB?! way to go, that sound is probably the circuit board frying. this is half stack 101: NEVER USE THE HEAD WITHOUT A CAB, unless you know how to properly use a dummy load. i doubt you used a dummy load though.

will be looking forward to your future 'new amp' thread.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
TS, you just got your first valve amp head and you run it WITHOUT A CAB?! way to go, that sound is probably the circuit board frying. this is half stack 101: NEVER USE THE HEAD WITHOUT A CAB, unless you know how to properly use a dummy load. i doubt you used a dummy load though.

will be looking forward to your future 'new amp' thread.

1 im not an idiot and i know not to do that. I just heard it when i was on standby so i turned it on without it plugged in to my cab and it still made the same noise.

2 I was only wondering because my Mesa bass head doesn't do that when on standby.