Hi, everyone!
First Post Here.

Got a friend who is learning to play guitar. So he asked me about waht kind of guitar should he get to start.
As a starter he is looking for something Versatile, good-lookin, with a range of $350.
He likes bands like System of a Down, Foo Fighters, Megadeth and Linkin Park.
What would you recomend?
rondomusic.com

any of the agiles
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Used fairly good quality ones, IMO.

There's nothing better for killing your desire to play guitar than owning a shitty one you hate picking up.

Buying used pretty much guarantees a return on your investment as well since, unless you beat the hell out of it, it's not likely to depreciate in value any further.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
^ EG is a wasteland. But you're right, it should probably be moved.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by kirky boy
Yamaha Pacifica is a classic

+

Extremely good and reliable. Versatile as hell.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
how much is going into the amp?

microcube, and Hss strat.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
He is borrowing a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Amp, so I don't think it is a problem
Quote by Alibavomit
He is borrowing a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Amp, so I don't think it is a problem

One of the best amps ever made !!!!!!
I would look into buying a lower end RG series Ibanez. Also, not sure but isnt that amp more for blues instead of metal/rock?
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
A used HSS MIM strat for around $200.....and then get it properly set up. You can play just about anything on one and it's so 'neutral'. By that I mean the neck isn't fat or thin, the weight isn't super light or heavy, etc.... It's the vanilla of guitars. With that said all it takes is a pickguard swap (with different pups) to turn it into whatever you want it to be if/when desired.
I'd have to agree with Kirky Boy, The Yamaha Pacifica is a great guitar if you're just starting out.

Check out amazon for a wide selection and a price bracket that won't break the bank!
I've been playing for a good few years and I recently borrowed a mates pacifica and I love it. There great guitars. They feel nice, sound good and are cheap.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ EG is a wasteland. But you're right, it should probably be moved.

On a Forum shared with The Pit, EG is the ****ing wasteland?

Wow

On topic, Ibanez Jumpstart pack.
How about the Axl guitars, i started out with their headliner series, and it was great for that kinda stuff

Aaron
BACK IN BLACK

Quote by somedude789
You get squirtle.

HELL YEAH!!!
Quote by shattamakar

But anyway, I don't want to be tempted to consume my semen every time I ejaculate.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynmumyjj2wm
Yamaha Pacifica is good as it were mentioned.

Squire by Fender HSS Stratocaster is not bad either.

HSS pickup setup is very versatile. Which is also the case for the Pacifica.

Just get it setup correctly after your friend gets it.
Go buy used, you'll get a way better guitar than you ever would buying a shitty starter guitar at GC.
Another vote for the Yamaha Pacifica here, brilliant guitar to learn on.

The amp is the more pressing issue though - for the bands youve listed, id recommend the Peavey Vypyr.
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
I'd definately go for a HSS guitar (though there are some exceptions, the guy may prefer the idea of HH)
Though I wouldn't skimp out on a "beginner" guitar, tell him to go for a budget guitar.

For guitars I'd suggest, Yamaha Pacifica, Vintage VS6/V6/V100, Squier affinity fat strat (make sure it's affinity, he'll prefer it in the long run when he comes to mod ) and it'd probably be a fair bit higher than he could afford but the Ibanez SA260 is relatively budget and a great guitar.

For amps.
With his taste in music, definately a Peavey Vypyr, maybe a Roland Cube.
Ibanez RGR321EX is unbelievably good for its price. Got mine for round £250 new and its a huge improvement over my Squire Strat imo. Im at round an intermediate level now and it still does everything i need it to do, so its definitely good in the long run
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Punk_Ninja

For amps.
With his taste in music, definately a Peavey Vypyr, maybe a Roland Cube.

The cube is ok but, looking at the 30w, the peavey vypyr is better and cheaper. If he just wants a versitile practice amp though I would say micro cube is all he needs