I'm running Protools LE 7.4 with the pro ignition pack 2, which is basically a lot of plug-ins.
I don't have any MIDI hardware to control the plug-ins, but I was wondering if there was some freeware that I could use to control the MIDI with my regular keyboard.
My friend did the same setup, but with Garageband on his Mac.
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
you need MIDI Yoke and a MIDI keyboard program (google it) although I'll warn you right now that Pro Tools is notorious for being absolutely shitty when it comes to handling MIDI.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you need MIDI Yoke and a MIDI keyboard program (google it) although I'll warn you right now that Pro Tools is notorious for being absolutely shitty when it comes to handling MIDI.

What do you mean by a keyboard program?
like a virtual piano, because if so I have several of those in my Pro Tools.

EDIT: I downloaded Maple Virtual MIDI Cable- it's an alternative for vista users

DUDE! you're from KY too. I live in Owensboro.

I guess I'm looking for something like Chirp, but free.
Last edited by TDKshorty at Jan 11, 2010,
there's one called Bomes MIDI keyboard I think, no idea how well it works in Vista though. I live in Louisville, I've been to Owensboro though.

Last.fm
Dang, that's not what I'm looking for, well it is.
But I guess I'm trying to control BFD LITE, TimewARP2600, Arturia Analog Factory, Xpand! and a whole slew of other MIDI programs

I'm assuming the BOME Mouse keyboard, just controls itself, correct?
no, you use MIDI yoke (or whatever equivalent you have) to route it into pro tools and use it to control your plugins.

Last.fm
yes kid has told you twice now. any input hardware can be used as a MIDI controller, as long as you have the extra software to convert controls into midi ones. Google midi controllers and read more about how they work.
So how would I go about routing it?
Quote by nynejoe
anyone this lost don't deserve the answer.

Thanks.
Quote by TDKshorty
So how would I go about routing it?

output from the keyboard app via your midi routing into pro-tools MIDI input, read the manuals to figure out how to do this.

Quote by nynejoe
anyone this lost don't deserve the answer.

If you're not even going to to try to be helpful then GTFO.

Last.fm
yeh ok an keep letting him stroke you. There questions and theres stroking, i bet he never even opened googled once. It is quite logical when you actually understand what it is your doing. You only gave him the answer twice!

You know this, your last answer was as obvious as night and day. How do i route it? duh out one and into the other.
Last edited by nynejoe at Jan 11, 2010,
You know that you can right click on a Midi Track and edit the midi that way, right? Of course, if you're looking for some natural sounding playing, it may not work but its great for pads and strings that don't require precise timing.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
output from the keyboard app via your midi routing into pro-tools MIDI input, read the manuals to figure out how to do this.

If you're not even going to to try to be helpful then GTFO.

Thanks man.
Actually there's nothing in the manuals, except for using a regular MIDI controller/keyboard.

Which I plan on buying soon.

So if I'm understanding you correctly the input will be in the Keyboard APP menu and I'll just choose whatever plug in and route that plug in through to Pro-tools?

It seems simple, but I want to cover all aspects of this, in case it doesn't work, since I have no internet right now
yeah I think so, TBH I can only really give you general advice since I tend to avoid doing MIDI work in pro tools at all costs.

Last.fm