Hello everyone! I'm in need of some direction so that way I do not regret the series of decisions I'm about to make. I'm going to be turning my basement into a home studio (which may later be moved into a bigger area depending on how this first endeavor ends). I think I've decided on investing in Pro Tools LE with 003 Factory Complete.

My question is, aside from monitors and my actual instruments and pedals... what other stuff do I need to invest in.... Chances are I'm going to be getting some fuzz eliminators, and I also looked into getting the Digitech GSP1101 but I'm not entirely sure.

I've searched the depths of the internet and haven't been able to find too much to help me. If anyone could tell me some sites that help explain building a studio, or have any personal tips of there own please shoot 'em my way. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Learning more about music and all its glory one post at a time.
Well, you're obviously going to need mics and a way to get the sound onto your DAW (either an interface or preamp into a mixer or a straight mixer, analogue converter, etc) You'll also need sound proofing and like...I don't know what they're called at the moments. Panels on the wall that even out the frequency response of the room. There's a lot of stuff that goes into it but there are tons of videos on youtube.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Okay, so as far as I can tell, I need to grab a condenser mic or two, a mixer (what's the difference between the 003 and a mixer?), monitors, a set of headphones, and of course the software and instruments. If I have pro tools LE do I need the Digitech 1011?
Ok, what you'll need:
Mics
A USB or Firewire Interface (the 003 would be just fine, although it's a tad expensive for what it is - unless you really want to run pro tools)
Monitors
Headphones for tracking

You do NOT need a mixer if you buy an interface with preamps (the 003 has 4 inputs with preamps and 4 without) and plugging a mixer directly into your sound card will NOT yield good results.

You won't NEED the 1011 - it might be nice to have if you plan on recording guitars direct rather than micing amps, but it's by no means a necessity.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
Ok, what you'll need:
Mics
A USB or Firewire Interface (the 003 would be just fine, although it's a tad expensive for what it is - unless you really want to run pro tools)
Monitors
Headphones for tracking

You do NOT need a mixer if you buy an interface with preamps (the 003 has 4 inputs with preamps and 4 without) and plugging a mixer directly into your sound card will NOT yield good results.

You won't NEED the 1011 - it might be nice to have if you plan on recording guitars direct rather than micing amps, but it's by no means a necessity.

After researching for the past few hours, I think I've got an idea, but it also birthed a few more questions. I play through a Peavey Classic 50 with individual pedals. Would it better to get a mic for my amp or to get the 1011? Obviously it has more sounds, but when it comes to quality and such.... I really like the variety of the 1011, but I'm content with my setup (I can list my pedals if needed...).

I will have firewire ports, I'm willing to spend up to 700 at the very most on 2 monitors but I'd really rather keep it around 500. What would be the best quality that keeps a pretty balanced output for that price? (for instance I'd get 2 Mackie MR8s but I hear the bass end gets boosted a bit).

As for mics, I really only planned on getting 1 or 2. As far as I could tell, a large diaphragm condenser mic would suit me fairly well. And as for headphones I'd probably drop a bit on a pair of Bose headphones.

It's hard to tell how I'll be recording, 'cause as of now it's pretty just me and my bassist...but there is the possibility of a drummer, singer, and other guitarist coming in soon... so I figured 8+ for tracks and such.

So yeah, that's the gist of it. I've been waitin' for this for a long time lol, I don't wanna make too many mistakes.

OH also, I keep forgetting to bring this up... but what's the deal with sound cards? They seem to be the thing no one explains, but it's always there...is that just the interface (aka the 003) or what? Thanks again.
Last edited by esiewertjr at Jan 11, 2010,
Alright, it sounds like you're off to a good start.

Monitor wise, I've always been a fan of the KRKs. Check out the KRK Rockit 8s. They run about $500 a pair and compared to every other set of monitors I've listened to in the price range, they were the best. Stay away from Mackie monitors, they are known for not having as good of response as other monitors.

For headphones, I would suggest getting a good pair of Sennheiser headphones over the Bose one. I don't know of many people that use Bose in a studio.

Lets talk mics. For vocals, I suggest getting a condenser mic. Judging from your budget (which is a little higher than most since your getting a 003 Factory) I suggest you get a Blue mic. I've always been a fan of the quality you can get out of a Blue mic and a lot of studios use them on vocals. Anything starting at the range of a Blue Bluebird ($300) is looking at a solid condenser mic for vocals. If you plan on micing an amp, I suggest getting a dynamic mic like a Sennheiser e609 or a Shure SM57. Once you decide if you want to record drums, we'll talk drum mics.

When it comes to micing your amp vs amp modeling, do you feel that if you were to buy a mic for it, would you get a full enough sound out of it for recording? You should do fine but here is one thing I would suggest. Line 6 makes a pretty freaking sweet program called Pod Farm which is essentially the same as the 1011 except has way more amp models, effects models and way more features. Also, Pod Farm will allow you to change a track on the fly instead of having to re-record it again. You can either get the Pod Farm Standard for $100 or the Pod Farm Platinum for $300. I bought Platinum and its put every other amp modeler to shame.

Hope this helps and have fun with it
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Unless you are absolutely adament on running protools LE, you could save some money & probably end up with better hardware if you were to go for a focusrite saffire pro 40, or a presonus firestudio (both 8 channel firewire interfaces with 8 preamped channels instead of 4). Then you could run Cubase, or Reaper (which is very affordable, and not too dissimilar to protools from what I understand).

As far as monitors go, the KRK Rokit series seem to be very popular around here.

What sort of music will you be recording? If you wanted to record guitars direct you wouldn't necessarily even need the 1101 - there's a guide to software amp simulation here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250.

A large diaphragm condenser is a good choice as an all rounder (they can be used to record vocals, acoustic guitars, electric guitars provided you keep the amp to a fairly low level), and I'd advise a dynamic as well (for recording electric guitars & high output instruments).
Depending on your budget, the Audio Technica AT4040 is a solid condenser choice, or if you're on a low budget the AT2020, or a Golden Age FC1 Mk2. Likewise the Shure SM57 is a common choice for a dynamic instrument mic, with the Sennheiser E609 (and 906) and Sennheiser MD421 also being common choices with widespread application.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Alright, so before I write off Pro Tools, what's the main difference between M-Powered and LE? I hear a lot of good things about Pro Tools so I'm still seriously considering it. But with the price of the 003, I'm lookin' into alternatives. Pointers?

EDIT: What about the Audio-Technica AT2041SP Studio Microphone Pack? Seems like it's a nice little bundle. I think at most I'm willing to spend 200 per mic.... but again I'm looking for good middle-ground and for the price type of stuff.

Also, I think I'd like to go with the Digitech 1011 over the Pod Farm just for the fact that I can also use it for live performance if needed, I like the fact that I can get a pedalboard with it.
Last edited by esiewertjr at Jan 11, 2010,
Quote by esiewertjr
Alright, so before I write off Pro Tools, what's the main difference between M-Powered and LE? I hear a lot of good things about Pro Tools so I'm still seriously considering it. But with the price of the 003, I'm lookin' into alternatives. Pointers?

At its core, there is no difference between the LE & M-Powered. There are a few plugins/upgrades you cant do with the M-Powered but thats about it.

You can get the M-Audio ProjectMix which is the same as the 003 except half the price: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-ProjectMix-IO?sku=702521

You do need to buy the M-Powered software separately though. Also, with the ProjectMix, it'll run better in other DAWs than the 003 if you don't like Pro Tools.

Another thing if you wanted the 003 is to get the 003 Rack+ Factory instead. They work exactly the same as the 003 Board but you just don't have the convenience of the board. They run around the same price as the ProjectMix + and the price of Pro Tools M-Powered.

What sort of music will you be recording? If you wanted to record guitars direct you wouldn't necessarily even need the 1101 - there's a guide to software amp simulation here http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1131250.

Pro Tools doesn't have VST support unless you pay $100 for the wrapper program. Though if you used another DAW, you could use VST.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I just wanna point out that I have Sonar 7 Producer and it is great. Take a look at it.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X