Hey guys,

I've been playing for about seven years now, and for the last three or so, I've studied music as well. However, all of my study has been conventional music theory--major/minor crap, modes, cadence, building triads from superimposed thirds, extensions, suspensions, etc.--and now that the groundwork is in place, I wanted to get on to a different style of book--maybe one on the structure of atonal music, or a thesaurus of scales and melodic patterns--because I want to be a champion at improvising. As a final addendum, I want to let you all know that I can't sight-read yet because I haven't found it necessary, since this may be a factor in what book I should choose.

So, what book should I get?? The three I've been looking at are "Repository of Scales and Melodic Patterns" by Dr. Yusef A. Lateef, "The Complete Thesaurus of Musical Scales" by Masaya Yamaguchi, or "Mel Bay Encyclopedia of Scales, Modes and Melodic Patterns" by Arnie Berle. Please either suggest one of these or suggest another book that you think will help me improve my improvisational skills, and thanks!!
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
I ended up going to guitar center today and picked up one of the Guitar Grimoire Volumes by Adam Kadmon, specifically the Scales and Modes set. It's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, but if anyone can suggest a good book with a multitude of melodic patterns or other helpful improvisational stuff, please suggest one!
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
If its melodic patterns you are after... Then maybe Nicolas Slonimsky's "Thesaurus of scales and melodic patterns" could whet your appetite. If you can complete it and have memorised the patterns and applied them... then you would never come back here cos you'll probably be the next John Coltrane.
I am well aware of that book, seeing as I'm a fan of Buckethead and Coltrane, both of whom have cited the book as a learning utensil of theirs (well, kind of--there's some speculation that Coltrane using the book was a myth on Amazon or somewhere that I looked at that book). Long story short, I can't sight-read, so taking that book and making it guitar applicable might take more time than just getting another book. After I finish the Grimoire, however, it might be my next step. Sorry I didn't mention I'd already considered that book, and thanks for the suggestion.
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2