To get a good hard rock sound from single coils, is it better to use a low output pickup into a high gain amp, or go with a high output single coil? I'm looking for a thick, Hendrix-ish overdriven sound, like the tone in this video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXYjEMTQRm0

The pickups are going into a Warmoth strat, with an alder body, maple neck, and rosewood fingerboard. I use a Blackstar HT-5. For low output, I was looking at Seymour Duncan APS-2 Alnico II's; I've really got no ideas for high ouput pickups, if that is what I should look into.

Thanks for the help
I'd go for low output and a high gain amp.

I know with the DiMarzio X2N's for example, your tone is already pushed when it gets to the amp, and then you have to sculpt from there.

Otherwise, you have a mellow sound that you can add gain to.

Those SD Alnico's sound good; Alnico's will always give you that warm vintage sound.

Also, I really love my Area '58 in the middle position of my Ibanez S (Mohogony body). Very clean, very fat, very warm. They make an Area pickguard with all 3 already installed.

Also, you might even try the Texas Specials from Fender. They're pretty good. Real pushed tone into the amp... Great for bluesy stuff. Throw a fuzz pedal infront of that, and you've got a pretty good idea of Hendrix.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!