I tried looking up how to play F#6 from google but the result I got was the same as a D7 (x68676). So is there a page or site that shows how to play all chords? Or can you just at least tell me how to play F#6? thanks!
F G A Bb C D E - F Major
F G A Bb C D# E - F Major with a #6

So... F A C D# is what I understand it to be (though I've never heard of #6 chord).

Knowing that, build your own voicing.

I built one real quick, just as an example:

-1- (F)
-1- (C)
-2- (A)
-1- (D#)
-3- (C)
-1- (F)

Barre the first fret.

PS: I can't say with certainty that this is a F#6 chord, but I played it on my guitar and it does, at least, sound musical... lol.
Last edited by freakstylez at Jan 11, 2010,
learn chord construction.it will save u looking up chords
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by freakstylez
F G A Bb C D E - F Major
F G A Bb C D# E - F Major with a #6

So... F A C D# is what I understand it to be (though I've never heard of #6 chord).

Knowing that, build your own voicing.

I built one real quick, just as an example:

-1- (F)
-1- (C)
-2- (A)
-1- (D#)
-3- (C)
-1- (F)

Barre the first fret.

PS: I can't say with certainty that this is a F#6 chord, but I played it on my guitar and it does, at least, sound musical... lol.

But that is an F7... your D# should be Eb. F7 is very musical.
An x6 chord is equivalent to an xm7 chord with the root a minor third down/major sixth up. Example: C6 (C E G A) is really just an Am7 (A C E G), because C6 doesn't really function as anything, or at least not in nearly as many scenarios as the Am7.

An x#6 chord should probably be labeled as a dominant 7 chord. i.e. C(#6) would be C E G A#. That's enharmonic to a C7 (C E G Bb). Seeing as the dominant chord actually has a function, you'd use that unless you were in some bizarre, very specific circumstance. You'd probably write it as C add#13, as well. At least, that's how I'd notate it.

So in reference to the TS (if he's asking for an F# with an added 6), it's probably not F#6, it's probably D#m7. If he's asking for an F with an added #6, it's more appropriate to call it F7.
Last edited by timeconsumer09 at Jan 11, 2010,
Quote by evolucian
But that is an F7... your D# should be Eb. F7 is very musical.

It's an F7 because it's 1 3 5 b7, yes?

Then I just don't understand how #6 works.

Edit: Unless, as the above poster mentioned, X#6 and X7 are enharmonic. Or, more correctly, X7 is the correct term for an X#6 chord -- which only theoretically exists.

Edit 2: Also, that barre shape seemed familiar. No wonder.
Last edited by freakstylez at Jan 11, 2010,
Quote by freakstylez
It's an F7 because it's 1 3 5 b7, yes?

Then I just don't understand how #6 works.

Edit: Unless, as the above poster mentioned, X#6 and X7 are enharmonic. Or, more correctly, X7 is the correct term for an X#6 chord -- which only theoretically exists.

Edit 2: Also, that barre shape seemed familiar. No wonder.

timeconsumers post is correct, although In a 6 chord... that 6 replaces the 7 and is a nice substitute to the maj7 sound. U wouldn't normally have a #6 chord, as it will most likely be a b7 in that instance, regardless of the enharmonic quality (unless it is stipulated on the score as #6 and not b7)

But in writing a chord... any Letter and # or b is associated with the note and not the degree that must be raised... unless it has an "add" accompanying it. The numbers most commonly associated with sharp (#) is the 5, the 9 and 11. The notes associated with the flats (b) would be the 5 and 9.

These are known as altered chords and are mostly associated to the V chord... except the #11 which is more common as a IV chord than a V chord.

If the chord has raised degrees, they are usually written in small print next to the letter (slightly impossible in this format... slightly... someone will get it right though)
Quote by evolucian
timeconsumers post is correct, although In a 6 chord... that 6 replaces the 7 and is a nice substitute to the maj7 sound. U wouldn't normally have a #6 chord, as it will most likely be a b7 in that instance, regardless of the enharmonic quality (unless it is stipulated on the score as #6 and not b7)

But in writing a chord... any Letter and # or b is associated with the note and not the degree that must be raised... unless it has an "add" accompanying it. The numbers most commonly associated with sharp (#) is the 5, the 9 and 11. The notes associated with the flats (b) would be the 5 and 9.

These are known as altered chords and are mostly associated to the V chord... except the #11 which is more common as a IV chord than a V chord.

If the chord has raised degrees, they are usually written in small print next to the letter (slightly impossible in this format... slightly... someone will get it right though)

Oh, I read the chord itself wrong in the first place, then. I know there's a #5, and so I thought he was implying the same thing, with a #6 instead. Neeeeevermind.