Page 1 of 2
The reason I ask is that i'm shopping round for both a car and car insurance...and the quotes that I've been getting on little 1L polo's are just stupid.

I'm 18d, Past my test about 7 months ago and would prefer fully comprehensive. Any one else of a similar age or know anyone that can recommend a certain model of car that's relatively cheap to insure or an insurance company that isn't going to rip me off?

thanks for any help

Quote by Skwisgar
The trip would reach its climax when you came across a character filling a pool via fapping and attempting to drown innocent people in it

Quote by Diet_coke_head
I ran up and started screaming rape because I knew she would never cheat on me.
you're going to be paying pretty high insurance costs anyway, just by virtue of being young and not having had your license for very long. You should probably get some beat up car from the mid 90s or something.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you're going to be paying pretty high insurance costs anyway, just by virtue of being young and not having had your license for very long. You should probably get some beat up car from the mid 90s or something.

Aye, I'm off to look at some old beat up 1 litre polo in the next few days...still, Stupidly high quotes i've been getting for it.
Quote by Skwisgar
The trip would reach its climax when you came across a character filling a pool via fapping and attempting to drown innocent people in it

Quote by Diet_coke_head
Forget fully comp. Your best bet is being a named driver on your parent's insurance, if that's an option for you.
try and put it on one of your parents insurance, the one with the least claims and obviously try websites like compare the market.
I had a 1.4 Polo as my first car and my first year on my own fully comprehensive insurance was £1400. No matter what car you have they're going to shaft you on insurance, a friend of mine had a 900cc Fiat Chiquichento and his insurance was still £1200. You've either got to bite the bullet and pay it or try and get your parents to insure the car with a policy where the named drivers build up their own No Claims Bonus. I know that Admiral, Elephant and Direct Line have such policies but I'm not sure on the small print so you'd have to look into it further.
All-O-Gistics:

Thou shalt always go for greatness
Thou shalt not commit adulthood (ALL)
Thou shalt not partake of decaf (ALL!)
Thou shalt not have no idea (ALL)
Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for all (ALL!)
Quote by smb
Forget fully comp. Your best bet is being a named driver on your parent's insurance, if that's an option for you.

Well I'm working so I'm after my own car. And going fully comp means I'll be paying more for the first year or so but it will build my no claims up meaning in the long run (if im a safe driver) my insurance will be pretty low
Quote by Skwisgar

Quote by Diet_coke_head
You need to get an old car that is a model that is unlikely to be driven by boy racers.
Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
I had a 1.4 Polo as my first car and my first year on my own fully comprehensive insurance was £1400.

How long ago was this? and what company was it with?
Quote by Skwisgar

Quote by Diet_coke_head
If you go 3rd party fire and theft it should be cheaper... but then you aren't fully comp. If it's a real old banger, do you need to be fully comp?
Quote by jesus2nd
Well I'm working so I'm after my own car. And going fully comp means I'll be paying more for the first year or so but it will build my no claims up meaning in the long run (if im a safe driver) my insurance will be pretty low

Can you park the car off-road? That ought to reduce your premium, at least a little.
I have a 1.2 Corsa and even that was pricey for the first year on my Dads policy. I'm on my own now for the second year and its still over £1000. I'm 19.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Quote by jesus2nd
How long ago was this? and what company was it with?

That was about three or four years ago now, it was with Endsleigh. I did however have both of my parents as named drivers as my Dad has never had an insurance claim and neither has my mother. Also both of them have had their license's since the 70's so they brought it down quite a lot.

To people suggesting Third Party, Fire and Theft policies they really are not worth the paper they're eventually written on. I have had several friends who went that way and had something happen to the car and the companies will always find a loop-hole or something will be 'inconclusive' and they won't pay out. Fully comp is definitely the way to go, I would even suggest spending less money on the car to save for the insurance.
All-O-Gistics:

Quote by SMH07
I have a 1.2 Corsa and even that was pricey for the first year on my Dads policy. I'm on my own now for the second year and its still over £1000. I'm 19.

Which company was that with pal?
Quote by Skwisgar

Quote by Diet_coke_head
Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
That was about three or four years ago now, it was with Endsleigh. I did however have both of my parents as named drivers as my Dad has never had an insurance claim and neither has my mother. Also both of them have had their license's since the 70's so they brought it down quite a lot.

To people suggesting Third Party, Fire and Theft policies they really are not worth the paper they're eventually written on. I have had several friends who went that way and had something happen to the car and the companies will always find a loop-hole or something will be 'inconclusive' and they won't pay out. Fully comp is definitely the way to go, I would even suggest spending less money on the car to save for the insurance.

Cool I'll check them out.

However, I'm getting stupid quotes of like 2.4k for a little 999c polo

its just depressing
Quote by Skwisgar

Quote by Diet_coke_head
Haha, after my first year of No Claims I changed the car and paid £2.5k for the insurance on that. However I was the only person of 19 with a 2.8l V6 Golf
All-O-Gistics:

just buy a Cadillac Escalade and get liability insurance, sure it''s even out after factoring in fuel prices and the cost of the vehicle, but on the other hand I don't think there are many cars in the UK that are even capable of damaging it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Try tesco insurance. They've always been cheapest for me - and make sure to include your parents on the policy. They don't have to be the policyholders, just include them in it. That will bring the premium down some. But like others have said, you're still going to be picking up a hefty tab for it.

However, now I think of it, my sister is learning now, and she is on a policy whereby it isn't in her name, but she is still building up a no claims. You could try looking into that - it's also with Tesco. The only problem is I'm not sure if it only counts if you are a learner or not, so you'll need to research it. Sorry I don't have more info!
I can't think of a signature.
Also while I remember, if you buy the car you will have to insure the car in your name. If you try to have your name on the V5 document and say your dads name on the insurance they will think that you're trying insurance fraud should you need to claim. It doesn't happen often but if you do claim and they decide to investigate the case it can turn very nasty, very quickly.
All-O-Gistics:

Quote by Vietnow!
Try tesco insurance. They've always been cheapest for me - and make sure to include your parents on the policy. They don't have to be the policyholders, just include them in it. That will bring the premium down some. But like others have said, you're still going to be picking up a hefty tab for it.

However, now I think of it, my sister is learning now, and she is on a policy whereby it isn't in her name, but she is still building up a no claims. You could try looking into that - it's also with Tesco. The only problem is I'm not sure if it only counts if you are a learner or not, so you'll need to research it. Sorry I don't have more info!

Aye my mate did that, In his case it only built up whilst he was learning
Quote by Skwisgar

Quote by Diet_coke_head
You're just going to face it that insurance will cost a fortune. I'm paying £1900 on my 1.2 Corsa, and I'm 19, had my license for a year and half, no claims.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Taking my test in a few weeks/months.

TBH, high insurance is just to stop us from driving. But they can charge stupid prices because 17 - 21 year old males want to drive.
Last edited by GezzyDiversion at Jan 11, 2010,
Insurance is a nightmare in the UK

Just try and get any type of insurance that lets you drive on the roads with out the rozzers bothering you
Quote by smb

I do this, it's alot cheaper.
I drive a 1.8 1998 Ford Focus
I only pay 400 quid a year.
I past my test a year ago...
Last edited by mythicaldude at Jan 11, 2010,
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Taking my test in a few weeks/months.

TBH, high insurance is just to stop us from driving. But they can charge stupid prices because 17 - 21 year old males want to drive.

No, they charge that much because 17-25 year old males are the most likely to have accidents. It's got nothing to do with them wanting to stop us driving, and it's not coz that group in particular "want to drive". It's because that group prove to be the biggest risk to insure, so they charge you a premium for it.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I see the Car Thread regulars have already been

I went under my mothers name and she is the owner of the car (need to make sure of this, as if they find it's your car they are unlikely to pay out if you're named driver) I had a 1.2 Corsa and it cost £1200 for the first year. Can't remember the company.

I'm under multicar now with my parents which is still like £600 even though I'm 20.

You're basically gonna be paying a lot. Go low insurance group, small engine, make it as safe as possible and as not boy racer as possible. Only advice. Keep shopping around. When you get quotes off comparison sites take the top 5 and ring around quoting the lowest price you've had. Some may be able to go lower over the phone etc.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

While I never want to recommend anyone buy a Renault they have extremely good NCAP ratings which will bring the cost of insurance down so possibly take a look at a Clio, they're also not terribly boy-racer friendly which will again lower the cost.
All-O-Gistics:

Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
While I never want to recommend anyone buy a Renault they have extremely good NCAP ratings which will bring the cost of insurance down so possibly take a look at a Clio, they're also not terribly boy-racer friendly which will again lower the cost.

The 1.4 16v mk1's n 2's are also fairly nippy for what they are

Thanks for all the info guys, I completly forgot about the car thread...my bad >.<

So basically I'm gonna have to put the wage away under the bed for the next few months to get anything saved up. Would anyone recommend getting a car now and leaving it sit in the drive whilst I gather the money to pay for the insurance?
Quote by Skwisgar

Quote by Diet_coke_head
Quote by jambi_mantra
No, they charge that much because 17-25 year old males are the most likely to have accidents. It's got nothing to do with them wanting to stop us driving, and it's not coz that group in particular "want to drive". It's because that group prove to be the biggest risk to insure, so they charge you a premium for it.

Yes, I am aware of this.

This was an accident a couple of months ago 3 miles from where I live and it is not an uncommon site.

(Invalid img)
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/4716163.Man_killed_after_three_vehicle_accident/

He drove around a 90' degree corner at 70mph which caused a 3 car pile up leaving him dead.

But it is people like him who drive like looneys that make premiums so high.

The fact is, if everyone drove properly, then we wouldn't have to pay so much money.
Quote by Blayney
The 1.4 16v mk1's n 2's are also fairly nippy for what they are

Haha, don't I know it. A mate of mine is Clio mad and just built a sleeper Clio Williams on ITB's. Insanity machine.

However, let's not hijack this poor kids thread

Quote by jesus2nd
Thanks for all the info guys, I completly forgot about the car thread...my bad >.<

So basically I'm gonna have to put the wage away under the bed for the next few months to get anything saved up. Would anyone recommend getting a car now and leaving it sit in the drive whilst I gather the money to pay for the insurance?

I wouldn't recommend it. As good an idea as it might seem cars do not like to be left standing for any period of time. For example I hadn't used my Golf for about a month because I'd been working solid, I took it to a friends which was about 45 miles away, parked up, started her up again after a few hours and had the exhaust emissions light come on. Got her home, put my VAG com on and ignition coil four had packed up because it hadn't been used at all. It's especially bad to leave a car stand in cold weather such as we've been having.
All-O-Gistics:

Come join me in the car thread then, I always liked the clio williams.

That accident looks nasty ^^ sadly it's all too common and is the reason insurance is high for us youngsters.

You can buy the car now and sort out insurance later, but make sure you know what the insurance is likely to be like.

Plus bare in mind a car sat on the drive exposed to the weather etc will need you to start it fairly regularly and wash it down to stop rust setting in etc.

Quote by GezzyDiversion
Yes, I am aware of this.

This was an accident a couple of months ago 3 miles from where I live and it is not an uncommon site.

He drove around a 90' degree corner at 70mph which caused a 3 car pile up leaving him dead.

But it is people like him who drive like looneys that make premiums so high.

The fact is, if everyone drove properly, then we wouldn't have to pay so much money.

Yes I know that's true. It doesn't deny the fact that insurance companies aren't charging so much because "they don't want us to drive"

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jesus2nd
Which company was that with pal?

I think it was Norwich Union first year.. now I'm not overly sure, my dad sorted it out for me.

Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
Haha, after my first year of No Claims I changed the car and paid £2.5k for the insurance on that. However I was the only person of 19 with a 2.8l V6 Golf

My friend some how managed to get insured on an Astra VXR Nurburgring when he was 19. I have no idea how he could afford the car let alone manage to get insured on it. Whilst its only a 2 litre I still find it odd.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Last edited by SMH07 at Jan 11, 2010,
I know someone in my year, so he's 19, insured on a BMW M3. Something to do with his dad working for an insurance company, or owning one or I dunno. It's mental.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
He'd have to be able to pull some serious strings to get an M3 at 19, I looked at buying one in the summer and me being 21 with three years no claims the quote was still pushing £3k.

Also, who would want an Astra VXR?! I would rather push a VW than drive a Vauxhall
All-O-Gistics:

There's a further test you can do called the pass plus, which focuses on new drivers gaining more experience of driving in different conditions etc. Do this and insurance companies might see you as a more sensible driver, meaning your insurance might be cheaper. You'll still be paying like a grand if you're a lad under 22ish, becuase we're more likely (statistically) to have and cause accidents.
Quote by Matt-92
There's a further test you can do called the pass plus, which focuses on new drivers gaining more experience of driving in different conditions etc. Do this and insurance companies might see you as a more sensible driver, meaning your insurance might be cheaper. You'll still be paying like a grand if you're a lad under 22ish, becuase we're more likely (statistically) to have and cause accidents.

I heard they are making this a free option as well or you can get a discount from the government to do it?

When I had the oppurtunity the cost to do the pass plus was more than the saving on the insurance so I didn't bother.

Im on my mothers insurance. It's a 1.2 2001 Clio, I pay £700 a year
"The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."- Jimi Hendrix
Page 1 of 2