This may sound stupid but here it goes haha. Ive always had a solid state amp and have never even used a tube amp. Im building a tube amp from a kit since I'm an eletronics student. There is a power switch and a standby switch, I Know this is to use the heater to warm up the tubes but how does it work. If power and stand by is on its warming tubes? Flip of standby and you play? Or do I flip on standby with power off, then turn on power when I play?

Kevin
You turn power on with standby off, then when you are ready to play you flip stand by on.

That's confusing. Off and on.

As a visual. Power switch is up and standby is down. No sound. Tube warming
Power switch and standby up, amp is playable.
Both down. Amp is off.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jan 11, 2010,
The power switch turns the tubes on and off. The standby switch sends the signal through them
So when standby is on your playing? Thats weird haha. Not much standing by happening

Kevin
When you bias the amp, does it need to be done with signal running through the tubes?

Kevin
You can wire the standby switch however you want. It's your amp
Either make it so you can play with the standby on or off, it doesn't matter
Quote by kevilay
So when standby is on your playing? Thats weird haha. Not much standing by happening

Kevin

No...

Standby is on, power is off.

You turn on the power

You wait for the tubes to warm.

You turn off the standby.

You shred.
Im confused ppl are saying different things haha. power switch up, tubes warming?, standby switch up guitar, playing?

Its a marshal JCM 800 if it makes a difference

Kevin
Okay, on the power switch you have ON and OFF on the standby switch you have STANDBY and something else.

You should only turn the power to ON when the standby switch is set to STANDBY.
When you're ready to play, you flip the standby switch to whatever the other position is called.

It's okay if you mess it up a few times, you'll know what to set it to after the first try.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by basilbrush
The power switch turns the tubes on and off. The standby switch sends the signal through them

No!

When your ready to play turn the power switch On keep the standby in the Off position. Then after a few mins flip the standby to the On position and play.

When your done playing. Turn the standby to the Off position, let your amp run for about 30sec then turn the power switch to the Off position.
As the JCM800 is in 1 and 0s.

Power          Standby        Why
0              1              Everything Off.
1              1              Tube warming up
1              0              You can play now.
1              1              Ready to switch off.
0              1              Off.