Hey guys, I went into my local guitar center earlier when I noticed the Xiphos (xpt700, i think) from Ibanez. Normally, I wouldn't give an Ibanez a second glance (just not my thing) but it's extreme look and neck feel enticed me. This thing exceeded my expectations!

However, whilst searching online for the specs, I also noticed the newer D Activator-X, which supposedly combine the d activators with the X2Ns. I'm itching to try them in the xpt750, but my GC doesn't carry them.
http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/
So...
which set of pups would give me the meaner, meatier tone? I was going for the d activator-x 's, but according to the website they aren't as pronounced (bridge= 4 treble, 6 mid, 5.5 bass) as the regular d activators (bridge= 5.5 treble, 6 mid, 6 bass).
I can't comment about the pickups themselves, but I can say that the difference is likely to be minute. My ESP has a Seymour Duncan JB and a '59, and they crank out a plenty 'brootal' tone.

The D-activator X's are a slightly higher output, so it might be a little harder to get a good clean sound? But other than that, if you were happy with the ones you tried in store, the X's probably won't you offer too much more.
I guess it depends on if you want more highs and bass, or less? I would be willing to bet that you wont start sounding like your 50% Chuck Schuldiner.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I don't know about the X's, but I LOVE my D-Activators.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Dactivators are badass. The x is almost the same, sounded exactly the same in the xiphos.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
The D-Activator tends to be a generally balanced pickup, with a slightly bright character due to a slight bump in the higher frequencies.

The D-Activator has a compressed sound as it is meant to sound like an active pickup. Its also got a prominent voicing, but not generally good if you're looking for rich harmonics and good harmonic overtones.

The D-Activator X tends to be a much darker pickup with heavy emphasis on the lower and lower mid frequencies. Very good for chugga chugga and anything that's bass heavy.

The D-Activator X doesn't sound as compressed, but it doesn't allow the nuances of your playing to shine through as much as the D-Activator would.

Both are good pickups, it just depends on what you want to use them for. The D-Activator is a general all-rounder, whereas the D-A-X tends to be more for rhythm work and chugging.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Thank you, Kitty, that was the kind of info i was looking for. Really I would only go for the xpt750 now because it stands out as more of a limited edition guitar. On the down side, the trems on both xiphos are sh*t, so i'll probably consider swapping for an edge pro...
Quote by Noodles_94
I was going for the d activator-x 's, but according to the website they aren't as pronounced (bridge= 4 treble, 6 mid, 5.5 bass) as the regular d activators (bridge= 5.5 treble, 6 mid, 6 bass).

Actually... I wouldn't really think those are accurate representations of the EQ curves of the pickup. Based on what I hear from my own DA and DAX for the bridge, I think its more like...

D-Activator:
Treble - 5.4
Mids - 4.8
Bass - 4.8

D-Activator X:
Treble - 4
Mids - 5
Bass - 6

EDIT: Think of it in a way where as you add to one EQ range, it sorta draws emphasis away from other EQ ranges.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jan 13, 2010,
Yeah, I can believe that based on what I've heard so far from the DAs...

If you'd excuse my incessance, could you map out the DA/DAX neck pup EQ ranges as well (since I trust the player's ear more than the manufacturer)?
Quote by Noodles_94
Thank you, Kitty, that was the kind of info i was looking for. Really I would only go for the xpt750 now because it stands out as more of a limited edition guitar. On the down side, the trems on both xiphos are sh*t, so i'll probably consider swapping for an edge pro...

If you think the Edge III is crap and think that an Edge pro will solve the problems of the edge, which in fact are general problems of floating trems, you're in for a rude awakening

Still, even though the Edge III has problems, the guitar is still well worth the money, I've had mine for almost 2 years and it still rocks my world.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Last edited by The^Unforgiven at Jan 14, 2010,
Quote by The^Unforgiven
If you think the Edge III is crap and think that an Edge pro will solve the problems of the edge, which in fact are general problems of floating trems, you're in for a rude awakening

Still, even though the Edge III has problems, the guitar is still well worth the money, I've had mine for almost 2 years and it still rocks my world.

Edge Pros don't wear down after 6 months of moderate play

The D Activator in my friend's BC Rich (basswood body, fixed bridge, rosewood board) sounded quite a lot brighter than my DAX (in my Edwards, maple thru-body neck, alder wings, ebony board and Floyd Rose). If that helps any
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Noodles_94
Yeah, I can believe that based on what I've heard so far from the DAs...

If you'd excuse my incessance, could you map out the DA/DAX neck pup EQ ranges as well (since I trust the player's ear more than the manufacturer)?

Sorry dude, can't help you there... both my DAX and DAs are bridge pickups.

However, what manufacturers tend to do is that they wind the neck and bridge pickups to the same voicing, just that the bridge is a hotter pickup than the neck pickup. If I had to say, I'd guess that the neck versions would sound identical, but would be slightly less bright, and probably more mids and slightly more lower-mids, and

So I'd guess

D-Activator:
Treble - 5
Mids - 5.1
Bass - 4.9

D-Activator X:
Treble - 3.8
Mids - 5.2
Bass - 6

I might be wrong, but this is just a stab based on how the different pickups I've tried tend to sound different between the neck and bridge versions.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )