Page 2 of 7
so stoked on listening to the new stuff. **** your emotional bullshit has helped me through a lot of shit.

also i don't get calling algernon, snowing etc cap'n jazz rip off bands. sure i can see similarities but to me it's kind of like saying iron age are a cro-mags rip off. sure there are similarities but it doesn't mean iron age are a rip off band.

but more bands like knapsack or texas is the reason would be great.
Last edited by scaryfried at Dec 4, 2010,
Quote by scaryfried
so stoked on listening to the new stuff. **** your emotional bullshit has helped me through a lot of shit.

also i don't get calling algernon, snowing etc cap'n jazz rip off bands. sure i can see similarities but to me it's kind of like saying iron age are a cro-mags rip off. sure there are similarities but it doesn't mean iron age are a rip off band.

but more bands like knapsack or texas is the reason would be great.

Srsly that.

If anything I'd call them American Football ripoffs? Idk, but I really can't think of any bands that actually sound like Cap'n Jazz except maybe the very first Algernon stuff.
I'm an asshole.
Quote by lookpizza
Srsly that.

If anything I'd call them American Football ripoffs? Idk, but I really can't think of any bands that actually sound like Cap'n Jazz except maybe the very first Algernon stuff.

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THIS.

I was starting to think there was something wrong with me in that I always thought they sounded way more like AF or other bands like that than Cap'n Jazz. They're all far more...tuneful, and mellow sounding than Cap'n Jazz.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by asator
I ALWAYS THOUGHT THIS.

I was starting to think there was something wrong with me in that I always thought they sounded way more like AF or other bands like that than Cap'n Jazz. They're all far more...tuneful, and mellow sounding than Cap'n Jazz.

and twinkly! Cap'n Jazz isn't that twinkly..
I'm an asshole.
found the album to be kinda boring.. but their EP is great!

also, they're obviously cap'n jazz ripoffs (they say so themselves, both algernon and snowing/ssc) wich isn't necessarily a bad thing.
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Quote by sponj

also, they're obviously cap'n jazz ripoffs (they say so themselves, both algernon and snowing/ssc) wich isn't necessarily a bad thing.

no
from their blog:

"...being “Harmless Kinsella worship”. We all like the Promise Ring way more than anything any Kinsella has done. Get off the message boards, start a band. "

so they clearly don't agree haha
Quote by r-bizzle182
no
from their blog:

"...being “Harmless Kinsella worship”. We all like the Promise Ring way more than anything any Kinsella has done. Get off the message boards, start a band. "

so they clearly don't agree haha

they might like the promise ring more but their sound is way more influenced by cap'n jazz.. and if you can't see that, well that's your problem really.
Quote by sponj
they might like the promise ring more but their sound is way more influenced by cap'n jazz.. and if you can't see that, well that's your problem really.

First off,

You: "also, they're obviously cap'n jazz ripoffs (they say so themselves, both algernon and snowing/ssc)"

Snowing clearly does NOT say that themselves; that's what I was drawing attention to.

Second,

I don't care who they like / who you like / what your fucking opinion is- I still don't think Cap'n Jazz is the main influence present. So the only problem is you being a pretentious douche.
The Cap'n Jazz comparison makes slightly more sense with Snowing to be fair, but Algernon just sound like American Football.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
yeah, who cares anyway. they're both awesome ripoffs, in their own way
i think calling a band a rip off isn't fair. influenced yeah, but surely all new emo bands are influenced somewhat by kinsella? and to be honest, this type of emo is a fairly carved-out niche genre, all bands are going to share similarities
So the new album is awesome, I'm stoked on this. I actually like the vocals most of the time haha.
Quote by seeneyj
I thought the whole idea of post-hardcore was to mix techno and hardcore.....
^ If you're referring to **** Your Emotional Bullshit then yes. I have the songs but not a physical copy.
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Idk. It's a combination record player/radio/cd player/cassette player my dad got me. It's supposed to look like an old school wooden radio. Pretty kewl.
lovelly carpet/table/thing you got there ahah
I really wish I lived near Bethlehem PA so I could go to the second Street Smart Cyclist reunion show. The lineup is SSC, Castevet, Stay Ahead of the Weather, My Heart to Joy, Midi and the Modern Dance, and Boyfriends.
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182

what a ripoff

Quote by guitar_rules311
The lineup is SSC, Castevet, Stay Ahead of the Weather, My Heart to Joy, Midi and the Modern Dance, and Boyfriends.

That's a hard line-up to beat.
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
Posted about them in alt indie recently having no idea that an emo forum even existed

Amazing man, came across F**k your emotional bullshit completely by accident a while ago and have loved it ever since. Though i agree they sound alot more like AF than Cap'n jazz i could care less because they're all awesome. I wish someone would legitimately rip off american football though, i mean there's 7 fugazi albums but only one american football one
Quote by spitonastranger
Posted about them in alt indie recently having no idea that an emo forum even existed

Amazing man, came across F**k your emotional bullshit completely by accident a while ago and have loved it ever since. Though i agree they sound alot more like AF than Cap'n jazz i could care less because they're all awesome. I wish someone would legitimately rip off american football though, i mean there's 7 fugazi albums but only one american football one

I think there is enough bands that sound like this already though
I'm an asshole.
It's been snowing a lot where I live for the past two weeks. We've even had 5 of the last 9 school days off because of it. I enjoy listening to Snowing while its snowing.
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182

what a ripoff

Quote by spitonastranger

http://www.myspace.com/penpalil
Last edited by maxmo at Dec 16, 2010,
Quote by lookpizza
I think there is enough bands that sound like this already though

haha i'm aware. I mean there are plenty of bands that have the ingredients of an american football rip off but just don't quite nail it for me
As a newb to this forum and on a completely unrelated note, do you guys talk about slowcore here or is that alt/indie?

Quote by maxmo

Thanks man i'll give it a listen
Last edited by spitonastranger at Dec 16, 2010,
what like mark kozelek and low? that would be alt/indie.
Quote by sponj
what like mark kozelek and low? that would be alt/indie.

Yeah like that. I think there's alot of cross over between emo and stuff like red house painters personally. I think alot of the time they deal with similar moods and ideas but in different ways. But that's a discussion for another thread i'm sure.
Quote by Cianyx
The new album. Just not feeling it guys

totally agreed with you. i don't if anyone has seen this video, i think it sums up the new album pretty well.
Snowing is so good. So so so so so so so so good. So good. It's not even funny. Every time I listen through the album I appreciate it more and more.