S.A.D
301 IQ
I noticed there was a thread on DIY stuff already, but it seemed to be mostly about painting So i thought i'd start one that has more to do with find or making cheap equipment, promoting shows, setting up shows on the cheap and all that sorta more musical related stuff.

So any one got any advice to share?
Kozlic
Slovenia's country singer
1,269 IQ
will follow
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
S.A.D
301 IQ
Quote by guitaruboy
learn how your gear works. anything you can fix yourself is money in your pocket

So true, every guitarist should at least know how to adjust their truss rod.

heres a link to project guitar http://www.projectguitar.com/

it's got heaps of info on everything from building your own guitar to general maintenance and setting up
pitobodies
496 IQ
Find other bands in your area, and band together. They don't even have to be all punk bands. For example, hardcore punk and thrash metal can easily go on the same bill. Play shows together, and promote the crap out of eachother. Use the internet, it can be helpful for promotion. Here's a good example:

Check out my slightly proggy, slightly classic metally hardcore punk band: Deranged Youth

See, the internet can work wonders for promotion. And never be afraid to promote shamelessly.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Last edited by pitobodies at Jan 19, 2010,
I_Pwn
is gonna find you
2,803 IQ
Booking shows is all about networking. Just play shows with any band you can, don't even worry about the genre. As for promoting, just flyer everywhere, and maybe look into putting a print ad if you guys have an alternative news paper or something. You might try and see if your local scene has a message board, good way to meet people.
brnh.bandcamp.com
lavazza
K**e sold out
7,304 IQ
Quote by I_Pwn
Booking shows is all about networking. Just play shows with any band you can, don't even worry about the genre. As for promoting, just flyer everywhere, and maybe look into putting a print ad if you guys have an alternative news paper or something. You might try and see if your local scene has a message board, good way to meet people.

I wouldn´t do that in all cases. If you really don´t have any other gigs. Some people I know set on a show with a locally known Death Metal band, their alternative stuff and an indie band. They wanted us to play to, as we didn´t have the time we said no and adviced another band, they were a blues/rock/pop cover band, but couldn´t play as well. The show ended up being one band cheering for the other and the organisers lost some money. Luckily not too much, because the PA belonged to the Metal band. The shows that have been set up there before, by other people who just included Thrash-/Hardcore and Punk always got at least like 80 or 100 people in.
RockThe40oz
Sucker-Punched By Christ
1,233 IQ
Yeah, I've found that trying to make a highly diverse show usually works the opposite of how you'd expect. You'd think you'd get in people from all different scenes, but really nobody wants to go to a show and pay $7 to sit through 4 bands they'll dislike to listen to one local band they'll enjoy.
S.A.D
301 IQ
What about PA systems anyone know any cheap ways of getting one?
I_Pwn
is gonna find you
2,803 IQ
Quote by lavazza
I wouldn´t do that in all cases. If you really don´t have any other gigs. Some people I know set on a show with a locally known Death Metal band, their alternative stuff and an indie band. They wanted us to play to, as we didn´t have the time we said no and adviced another band, they were a blues/rock/pop cover band, but couldn´t play as well. The show ended up being one band cheering for the other and the organisers lost some money. Luckily not too much, because the PA belonged to the Metal band. The shows that have been set up there before, by other people who just included Thrash-/Hardcore and Punk always got at least like 80 or 100 people in.

I should have phrased what I said better. You obviously have to use some discretion, but if you're a pop-punk band don't shy away from playing with a ska band or a hardcore band.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Rancid Ivy
connard de canard
1,355 IQ
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
Sell out already.

"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
TN_BOOTBOY
Yep! I'm a Skinhead!
300 IQ
Quote by I_Pwn

After booking shows for almost 20 years, I've noticed that actual flyers don't work as much as they used to. Handbills that you actually give to someone at a show or whatever work well, but flyers all over town don't seem to work like they used to. And the internet is the fastest way to get to most people. Myspace completely changed the way bands promote and network with each other. A band can accomplish in a few months on Myspace and facebook what used to take a couple years or more in the old days.
He who acts, conquers.Nashvillepunk.org

I'm old, I'm tired, and I have acid reflux. So don't mess with me.
TN_BOOTBOY
Yep! I'm a Skinhead!
300 IQ
Quote by S.A.D
What about PA systems anyone know any cheap ways of getting one?
Pawn shops. Musical equipment isn't cheap. Even at a used music store or pawn shops. Its just a fact of life. So you're either gonna have to get lucky and find something cheap on e-bay or Craigslist or just buckle down and buy new. buying cheap isn't always better. sure, you're not out a lot of money, but what do you do when you've got a house show or start a DIY venue and your cheap PA shits the bed? Ifg you do buy used, make sure you buy good used and not just cheap used.
He who acts, conquers.Nashvillepunk.org

I'm old, I'm tired, and I have acid reflux. So don't mess with me.