Cheesepuff
i <3 you
2,386 IQ
Play gigs, sell demos, send indie label a press kit. Is that all there is to it? What if the label doesn't read your press kit?

How do you get signed? (to an indie label because major label signage really is super impossible)
ext1jdh
Rather Boring Guy
286 IQ
Be extremely lucky.

Also, naked drummer.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Warpigcessec
113 IQ
Only logical thing I can think of is, Play alot of good music, at a low of gigs, try to connect with some bands already signed to indie records, be good friends (Yes brown the the f**k out of them) and then ask them if they could put in a good word for you. If that doesnt work well, play naked with sparklers coming out of your ass......it gets attention.
The-Fiction
Loose Cannon
46 IQ
Pretty much what you just said. A decent established fanbase is also helpful, if a label sees that you have people who will buy your CD then they would be more likely to sign you.

They are hoping you will bring in money after all
Dakota Ruins
Metalcore/Hardcore from Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Please click on our name and check us out

My Stage Gear:
Cort Curbow 4
Ibanez SRX430
Hartke HA 3500 + Hartke 4.5XL
Line 6 G50 Wireless
Crizzle
685 IQ
Quote by ext1jdh
Be extremely lucky.

Also, naked drummer.

The rocker (H)
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
ext1jdh
Rather Boring Guy
286 IQ
Aye, if you havent seen The Rocker, see it immediately. It's like a how-to guide on getting signed.

lol
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
chokmool
300 IQ
Find someone like Brian Epstein, Col. Tom Parker, or Malcolm Mclaren to manage you, or have a famous parent. A bit snarky perhaps, but not far off. At some point, you have to be noticed and liked by someone with the clout and connections to go to bat for you with the labels. Also as Koslack says, that person will need to believe that you can make them and other people some serious amounts of money.
CODE
925 IQ
Thirded on money.

It is all that matters to labels that are worthwhile to working musicians.
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
936 IQ
i've seen people ask this and i've seen alot of good answers in the past which generally boil down to
1) write good music and get a large fanbase - ie: alot of hard work
2) be lucky

so it basically boils down to ALOT of hard work and luck.
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
koslac+chok+code

=+1

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
JagStang5246
2,119 IQ
Be good at what you do and send a lot of demos to a lot fo indie labels. My band is trying to get signed at the moment. We just recorded a few songs and we're getting our press kit together to send to some indie labels.
Gurgle!Argh!
-
1,444 IQ
please, UG, stop thinking about this. most bands are crappy, and for the bands that aren't, things tend to fall into place with a little bit of wherewithal. chances are, this isn't something you should be worrying about. if you've been playing for two or three years and you're having trouble breaking to the next level, maybe that is when you start posting about this.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
chokmool
300 IQ
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
please, UG, stop thinking about this. most bands are crappy, and for the bands that aren't, things tend to fall into place with a little bit of wherewithal. chances are, this isn't something you should be worrying about. if you've been playing for two or three years and you're having trouble breaking to the next level, maybe that is when you start posting about this.

True. The only exception I take to your post is about things falling into place with a little bit of wherewithal.

To get a label that can really help you, you will probably have to be much farther along than most people think. If you're at the top of your genre in a major market, that's when you have a chance to get noticed. That takes a great deal of hard work and time, not just a bit of wherewithal. If you're being approached before then, beware, it is probably a vanity label.
CODE
925 IQ
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!

It takes a while to realize that you suck/aren't as super amazing as you thought when you are first in a band that writes/records/plays. I remember getting really stoked on songs we wrote, recorded, and played and then I noticed we kind of sucked and it takes you down a few notches once you get off the initial buzz of starting a band.
Northernmight
UG's Churchburner
1,353 IQ
Play good music. And care about your music.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Helloween_rox
UG Fanatic
1,179 IQ
You could just do what Deicide did and walk into a record exec's office and say "Don't be a f*cking asshole, please sign us."
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you